GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,303
2 members and 2,301 guests
indygphib, Kevin

Old 08-05-2001, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Mixers 101?

Just wondering the low down on having a mixer. Are there any sites I can go to to learn more or can you folx give me the lowdown. I would love to have a few mixers with other orgs, that way get our name out there and meet fellow greeks. I bascially need to know EVERYTHING there is to know about Mixers

------------------
Live it ~ Love it ~ Show it
Delta Gamma Pi Multicultural Sorority ~ Beta Gamma Chapter
#2 Amphitrite
Summer 01
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2001, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Probably the best way to get the hang of things is to have your first few with friends. Find a fraternity or other organization that people from both groups know each other. That will get the ball rolling as far as being social, but after that, go for people you dont' know and that will be fun too ) Theme parties are fun too, just make it something simple that people will be willing to participate in.
Have fun )
Old 08-07-2001, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Do you have a brother fraternity that you could do a mixer with? My soroity has done mixers/socials with our brother fraternity and it has been fun...

Another thing that we have done is put all the girls names in a hat and what ever girl you pulled from the hat you had to set them up with someone for the upcoming social.

I wouldn't call it a mixer, but we also have greek games week once a year (usually in the spring) where each greek organiztion hosts some sort of game type event.

Hope this helps!

------------------
"Once a Kappa, Always a Kappa" ...Kappa Gamma Chi
Emerson College Boston, MA
Old 10-11-2001, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad you posted this one!!

We really want to have a mixer with some GLO on-campus. A couple of the national organizations like KD and TKE have expressed interest in having a mixer with us. We have another multicultural frat on-campus that we could have a mixer with, but since neither of us really have big numbers it is kind of difficult. Usually at our school the nationals have mixers at clubs and just have the typical club scene/party and call it a mixer. Everyone is not going to extend their right arm and be social.
Old 10-15-2001, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello. The reason why most National groups have events at 3rd party places is to limit liability. The 3rd party place is usually responisble for carding people, serving "cutting off" people who are too drunk.

When having a mixer as a local (I used to be part of one) you need to think about how you can minimize the risk to your group. Even innocent things-someone slips on a wet florr even if they are not intoxicated can turn into a huge lawsuit.

If you are a smaller group without a lot of money approach a club about on off night or an off time for a mixer. Friday night at 8pm is probably not realistic on a limited budget. But maybe a sat afternoon event or 5-7pm could happen.

Also NEVER pay for alcohol with dues money or even money collected in the nameof your group.

Socials are a lot of fun but also a lot of responsibility.