GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
0 members and 1,390 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

He Ain't Heavy movie (a film about hazing)

I was recently approached about organizing a screening for the film "He Ain't Heavy." A lot of you have probably already seen the infamous footage of the passing of the egg. Apparently, there were a lot more footage. I thought it would be interesting to discuss the film and it's future impact on greek organizations, as well as other organizations where hazing can be found. (I apologize if there's a thread dedicated to this film already, I could not find it).

The definition of hazing is pretty clear, at least in my organization and in my state. But for whatever reason, I've noticed that the definition becomes vague or blurred from campus to campus, region to region. What constitutes as "hazing" in your opinion? Where is the difference between educating and hazing? I've read the comments on the youtube page and someone posted that pledging is character building but sometimes it goes too far. Where is that point of no return?

I just wanted to provoke an intelligent discussion about this issue as well consider how men and women can be educated to becoming contributing members in their respective organizations.

Here's a link to the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om-pOplKKQ4

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2013, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink View Post
The definition of hazing is pretty clear, at least in my organization and in my state. But for whatever reason, I've noticed that the definition becomes vague or blurred from campus to campus, region to region. What constitutes as "hazing" in your opinion? Where is the difference between educating and hazing? I've read the comments on the youtube page and someone posted that pledging is character building but sometimes it goes too far. Where is that point of no return?

I just wanted to provoke an intelligent discussion about this issue as well consider how men and women can be educated to becoming contributing members in their respective organizations.
There a number of threads where this is discussed at length.

Personal opinions about what constitutes hazing are irrelevant. What matters are an organization's policies, a school's policies and state law.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you mean threads that discuss hazing or the film? I was looking for a thread about the film and did not find it. if there is one, could you please help direct me? I would appreciate that.

I don't necessarily think personal opinions are irrelevant as these policies and laws are written and influenced by people and their opinions. But since those questions have been discussed, how about thoughts on the film itself? I have yet to see it and based on the trailer, it made a huge impression on me. If the film were ever to be released on a national scope, I can only imagine the impact it can have on everyone. It might become a catalyst for further changes, etc. Is there anyone who has seen the film? I've read that it's been screened already at many collegiate locations.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean there are plenty of discussions about what does or doesn't constitute hazing, which is what you seemed to want to discuss when you asked "What constitutes 'hazing' in your opinion?" and when you said you wanted a discussion on the "issue." Sorry if I misunderstood you.

As for the film, I've never heard of it, so I've got nothing to offer. The name sure does bring flashbacks to the late 60s and the 70s.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what discussion OP wants to have? I watched the trailer and didn't see how any of those activities could not be hazing and in many cases, criminal acts.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma