GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,177
2 members and 1,175 guests
LarryByday, Low D Flat
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:52 PM
wildcatgirl

I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I'M GOING TO BE RUSHING FOR DG! I'm trying to figure out what they're like. And yes, once I go there, I'll figure it out. And who says I'm going this coming year?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 PM
wildcatgirl

Wow, wtf is your guys' problems haha. I asked a SIMPLE QUESTION. Jesus, chill out.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 AM
wildcatgirl

K whatever, I'm so done with this. It's ridiculous.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, you said the same thing 4 posts ago. Seems like you're the one who can't let it go.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM

Yay for QFP!
Old 05-05-2009, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!

NEW PEOPLE:

Look at the date of the thread you are reading, in particular the last few posts of a thread. THERE IS NO POINT in bumping a thread in order to agree with something someone said three months ago about an problem that was immediate THREE MONTHS AGO.

If you have something new to add then maybe, JUST MAYBE, it's OK. But probably not.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

well i just had some questions on whether all sororities are very time consuming or if they have differences. Im a little worried about balancing schoolwork and social schedule, and im sure that there are differences but idk if maybe even the least consuming sorority is still considerably time consuming.. only because my cousin is in a sorority and she just seems to have a very full schedule with it, which is fine i just dont want it to affect my grades. do sororities have required study hall hours or anything like that? that could actually be pretty helpful if they did!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers01 View Post
well i just had some questions on whether all sororities are very time consuming or if they have differences. Im a little worried about balancing schoolwork and social schedule, and im sure that there are differences but idk if maybe even the least consuming sorority is still considerably time consuming.. only because my cousin is in a sorority and she just seems to have a very full schedule with it, which is fine i just dont want it to affect my grades. do sororities have required study hall hours or anything like that? that could actually be pretty helpful if they did!
All sororities are going to take up a huge chunk of time, but can be done with time management skills. My grades were the same (or higher) when I was active.

My chapter had study hours based on the GPA of the sister in question. Your number of hours was inversely related to your GPA. All of the chapters on my campus had similar systems in place, but this may not be true on every campus.

During recruitment ask chapters about their scholarship programs. Also, having sisters who have the same or similar majors to you can help you in several ways, either to have a study buddy or someone to help you know what to expect with balancing sorority commitments and your specific major.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the help!! i will do that for sure =)
Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey! I plan on rushing in the fall... I'm a sophomore at the University of Florida. I didn't rush my freshman year because I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. After talking to several girls who were in sororities, I was convinced that my stereotypical ideas about the sorority girls were completely false. I'm a little nervous about rushing though because I am a sophomore and the majority of rushees are freshman.

1) Is me being a sophomore going to hinder me from getting a bid?

Also, because I go to such a huge school, I asked one of my friends who rushed last year how she made herself stand apart from other people... her response was to wear different dresses with interesting colors and things of that sort. She also said to tell interesting but TRUTHFUL stories of yourself. She told me that because my name is pretty unique, that alone will help them remember me, but it wouldn't hurt to tell them the nickname I was given in preschool/elementary school.

2) So my next question is would these things be good tools to use when I rush to help myself stand out?

Lastly, my same friend recommended that I carry a purse that includes: mints, chap stick or lip gloss, some make up powder, deodorant, some tissues (in case of sweating), and a hair brush.

3) Do you think these are substantial items to carry and should I bring anything else?

Thanks so much for reading this novel and helping us out with our questions! I for one truly appreciate it and I know this advice will ease some stress for when I finally do rush.

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl12 View Post
Hey! I plan on rushing in the fall... I'm a sophomore at the University of Florida. I didn't rush my freshman year because I wasn't sure I would enjoy it. After talking to several girls who were in sororities, I was convinced that my stereotypical ideas about the sorority girls were completely false. I'm a little nervous about rushing though because I am a sophomore and the majority of rushees are freshman.

1) Is me being a sophomore going to hinder me from getting a bid?

Also, because I go to such a huge school, I asked one of my friends who rushed last year how she made herself stand apart from other people... her response was to wear different dresses with interesting colors and things of that sort. She also said to tell interesting but TRUTHFUL stories of yourself. She told me that because my name is pretty unique, that alone will help them remember me, but it wouldn't hurt to tell them the nickname I was given in preschool/elementary school.

2) So my next question is would these things be good tools to use when I rush to help myself stand out?

Lastly, my same friend recommended that I carry a purse that includes: mints, chap stick or lip gloss, some make up powder, deodorant, some tissues (in case of sweating), and a hair brush.

3) Do you think these are substantial items to carry and should I bring anything else?

Thanks so much for reading this novel and helping us out with our questions! I for one truly appreciate it and I know this advice will ease some stress for when I finally do rush.

Thanks again!

Some answers:

!. Yes, being a sophomore is going to be a hinderance. Non-freshmen have a very hard time getting bids at UF. It HAS happened, but most sophs who get bids are ones who have lots of friends in chapters, great grades, etc.

2. In terms of standing out, be sure to get recommendations to every chapter, have friends in the different chapters, be involved on campus, and just really connect with sorority members with your conversation.

3. I'm not sure what to tell you to carry, but be sure that you aren't carrying TOO MUCH. You will be doing alot of walking and you'll have to lug everything with you. I do suggest bringing some water or a small snack with you. It's hot and you don't want to pass out.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom told me I should write (Facebook or MySpace) to the girls I know in different sororities and just let them know I plan on rushing and to look out for me. I know actives aren't allowed to communicate with rushees during rush, but if I did this over the summer do you think that would be a good idea?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgirl12 View Post
My mom told me I should write (Facebook or MySpace) to the girls I know in different sororities and just let them know I plan on rushing and to look out for me. I know actives aren't allowed to communicate with rushees during rush, but if I did this over the summer do you think that would be a good idea?
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I know your mom means well, but this is a big "no-no" in terms of recruitment. Huge "no no."

First of all, contacting sorority members AT ALL (Facebook/MySpace/wherever) and saying "look out for me" makes you look creepy and desparate.

Also, "no contact" rules typically beging over the summer. So you may not be allowed to do so anyway and risk not only looking creepy but also getting them into trouble.

I repeat: Do not do this if you want a chance at getting a bid.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-24-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If you KNOW the girls, I wouldn't write them through facebook or myspace- I'd let them know "Hey, I'm going through recruitment this fall. Any advice for me?" - and LISTEN to what they say. But don't violate any rules.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha. Ok maybe I should clarify a little bit. One girl I've known since I was little but she lives in a different city than I do... it wouldn't be a good idea for me to just tell her I plan on rushing and then that way she would know. Then there is another girl I met in class and I asked her how rush was for her and stuff. She told me rush was "hell" but to stick with it because the actual sorority is fun. Also, last summer a girl actually contacted me and asked if I was interested in joining and what not (her dad knows my dad and she was letting me know that if I needed anything not to hesitate to ask her).

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to give some examples of situation. Is it still not a good idea to just tell them I plan on rushing and to look for me?
Closed Thread