GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,264
3 members and 1,261 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 03-10-2016, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I don't think it's fair to say this was planned as a shooting activity, either. Despite our insistence that we're for "men" and "women" - in reality, in today's world, we treat our members as if they were children, so no, no advisor is going to approve an outing where "we're gonna go to a ranch and fire off a few rounds into the air".

What we know: No one was hurt.
What we don't know:
- There is no statement that the firearms were being used recklessly.
- There is no indication that alcohol was involved.
- There is no indication that any of those involved were to young to be handling firearms (18 is the legal age to own, and carry long guns; 21 is the legal age to carry handguns; there are no age restrictions on use, but use by minors does in most states require permission if not active presence of a parent or guardian)

If those involved were too far away to hear loudspeakers (again - we don't know), it might be safe to assume they were also away from inhabited buildings and/or wearing ear protection. Hmmmmm, guess we don't want to consider that they may have been acting safely.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My 2 cents: I don't care if people want to exercise their 2nd amendment rights; just because I don't personally have an interest in firearms doesn't mean other people can't or shouldn't. Who am I to tell people how to spend their free time?

On the other hand, I am a firm believer in responsible gun ownership. If you own a gun, you need to recognize that it can be used to hurt or kill people; it's important to be mindful of that fact, and to handle a firearm the same way you might handle a sharp kitchen knife or a bow and arrow. The majority of decent, legal gun owners do all these things, but every once in a while I think people forget how much these guns can hurt people, because they haven't seen it happen themselves.

If you check out the Wikipedia article on celebratory gunfire, it has some info about firing off rounds up into the air and what the consequences can be. Bullets that come up have to come down; sometimes, they come down harmlessly, near where they were fired--but sometimes, they come down on people and their property. Depending on the angle you fire at, bullets can arc miles away from where you are, so even if you're on a large piece of property when you fire, it's not a guarantee that the bullet is going to come down someplace safe.

According to the article, anyone in Texas who injures or kills someone with a stray bullet can face "serious felony charges." As someone who's only 21, I can sure as hell tell you that I would never risk becoming a felon for the brief adrenaline rush that comes from firing a gun like that. Having that on your record absolutely ruins your job prospects and strips you of a number of personal rights... I can understand wanting to shoot some guns with your friends, but it's important to consider the consequences of all the actions you take (even the non-gun-related ones).

Last edited by generallygreek; 03-10-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Spelled "exercise" wrong, lol
Old 03-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the thing I hate about this thread. Without a shred of evidence, many of us are ready to shut this chapter down because they MUST have been doing something horrible--and maybe they were. But as Greeks, we need to be in the business of defending our organizations to the public and realizing that most organizations have very capable alumni volunteers like us involved and people are generally making good decisions. Let's give our own the benefit of the doubt. If we are all so negative about our own, why would we expect outsiders to be any more charitable?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Here's the thing I hate about this thread. Without a shred of evidence, many of us are ready to shut this chapter down because they MUST have been doing something horrible--and maybe they were. But as Greeks, we need to be in the business of defending our organizations to the public and realizing that most organizations have very capable alumni volunteers like us involved and people are generally making good decisions. Let's give our own the benefit of the doubt. If we are all so negative about our own, why would we expect outsiders to be any more charitable?
This is fair--looking at my post now, I think it is a bit excessive for the actual reporting content of the article (though I won't edit it, since that would just be cowardly at this point). Guns and gun handling are a very inflammatory debate, I think. Our political opinions are overriding our sense of unity regarding our Greek brothers and sisters. Maybe we should take a step back until more information comes out.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

I agree!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma