GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,389
1 members and 1,388 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Two of KSU's branches are on the list, but I am pretty sure that they only offer 2 year degrees. You can START a BA/BS at any of them, but in order to finish, you have to transfer to Main or to another 4 year university.
Hey...here's something I actually know about!

Actually, we do offer full 4 year degrees at all of our KSU branches. The amount of programs offered are pretty small in number as compared to main campus and the larger branches.

Most of our branch students fall under one of these:
Non-traditional students
Students working on their associates
Undergraduates who have lower GPA's and attend and get their grades up. They tend to transfer to the main campus after doing so. (Our new/incoming freshman had the highest GPA in the history of KSU, so it's slightly more competitive)

That would expain why the graduation rates are so low. It's not exactly a true reflection of the students specific situations.

Last edited by PersistentDST; 09-23-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I talked to a few people at work today. They tended to agree with me, but more who start at the OU branches seem to transfer to OU or OSU than I realize.

However, they also brought to light that there are students there who are strictly there to abuse the system. They get grants and loans, and then are able to withdraw that money, and then use it for anything other than education purposes. They were telling me stories about students who'd withdraw aid money and spend it on drugs, their boyfriends would take it, make car payments, rent payments, etc. One guys entire family lived off that money for a year or so while he was enrolled. They enroll with no intention of ever graduating, and no intention of ever paying that money back.

How does that even work? I was a little in disbelief over that.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I talked to a few people at work today. They tended to agree with me, but more who start at the OU branches seem to transfer to OU or OSU than I realize.

However, they also brought to light that there are students there who are strictly there to abuse the system. They get grants and loans, and then are able to withdraw that money, and then use it for anything other than education purposes. They were telling me stories about students who'd withdraw aid money and spend it on drugs, their boyfriends would take it, make car payments, rent payments, etc. One guys entire family lived off that money for a year or so while he was enrolled. They enroll with no intention of ever graduating, and no intention of ever paying that money back.

It certainly does happen. I've been told that my state is working on cracking down on much of that, as some students are enrolling in universities (sometimes multiple universities), getting money and dropping out weeks into terms.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post

The same people who do that are then super shocked when they actually WANT to go to school and realize that they are over the lifetime borrowing limit (or that they aren't allowed to receive ANY aid because you have to complete x amount of the credits you register for to be eligible to get any student aid, loans included.) I've had sorority sisters work in FinAid and the stories are hilarious.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Just to be clear, the article isn't talking about Southern University, it is talking about Southern in New Orleans. Southern University main campus has had issues in the past with pass rates for it's Law School and Nursing School, but they have improved dramatically.
Yeah, I heard it from a student at the BR campus.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

This type of article is exactly why it is always best to dig a little deeper to find out what the real deal is.