GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,309
0 members and 2,309 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2009, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
That commercial is ridiculously inappropriate. Even my roommate's perverted best friend was disgusted by it, enough to drunkenly rant to the cashier at BK about it....
I disagree. The commercial isn't targeted at kids...it's targeted to 25-35 year old parents. If you listen to what they say, it's a promo where if an adult buys a value meal, they get a kids meal for cheap. Kids won't "get" the baby-got-back reference, or probably even pick up on the sponge bob tie in because it's not too visually integrated, but parents my age (30) will. I actually think the lyrics are really funny..."Sponge Bob I wanna get wit' ya, cuz you're makin' me rich'a!" They're actually mocking the product placements usually found in kids meals.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

As for what disturbs me on TV, I can't watch the show Intervention. I just can't watch those sad people ruin their lives right in front of the camera, while crews follow them on their drug deals, binges, street walking, etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The male enhancement commercials that make it clear that you should seek medical attention if you have an erection that lasts for more than 4 hours......always embarrassing in mixed company.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Tim & Eric Awesome Show on adult swim is just strange. Those guys did too much acid or something.

I agree with PeppyGPhiB about the Sir Mix-A-Lot commercial.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:42 PM

The commercial where the people's heads shrink and they take them off their shoulders...I can't even remember what it's for now but it is some messed up isht.

The Burger King Baby Got Back ad is the greatest thing ever, especially since Sir Mix-A-Lot is actually in it.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I'm sorry. We all know ads for kids' products are not aimed at parents. Then these things would never get purchased. They are aimed at kids to nag the parents to buy it for them. It's on Nickelodeon. That's a kids' network. It has Spongebob in it. That's a kids' cartoon (most of the time). They are not making it for me or any other adult. I'm 24 and grossed the hell out by it. Neither myself nor any adult or parent I know are compelled to purchase kids meals by square shaking asses of women made to resemble a cartoon character. What's next? 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" or "Magic Stick" used to sell lollipops?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I'm sorry. We all know ads for kids' products are not aimed at parents. Then these things would never get purchased. They are aimed at kids to nag the parents to buy it for them. It's on Nickelodeon. That's a kids' network. It has Spongebob in it. That's a kids' cartoon (most of the time). They are not making it for me or any other adult. I'm 24 and grossed the hell out by it. Neither myself nor any adult or parent I know are compelled to purchase kids meals by square shaking asses of women made to resemble a cartoon character. What's next? 50 Cent's "Candy Shop" or "Magic Stick" used to sell lollipops?
That commerical airs on the Adult Swim leg of the Cartoon Network (10pm-6am) and that's the only time I've seen it. If kids are still up then, more power to them, but I doubt it was aimed at kids.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
It's on Nickelodeon. That's a kids' network.
I never watch Nickelodeon (or its sister stations for that matter) and I see the commercial all the time.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Burger King's target audience is young adult males. They're not talking to you. You probably wouldn't buy your kid a Burger King kid's meal anyway. But your husband might. Women do not buy fast food in the numbers men do, but when they do, McDonald's is more popular with them. On the other hand, the vast majority of BK's customers are men. Some of those men have children. They don't want to give up their Whoppers just because they have kids. The pieces of this humorous ad, featuring women in booty pants shaking their asses, the concept and lyrics obviously targeting adults, and Sir Mix A Lot at the end saying, "Booty is booty!" all add up to BK targeting its young adult male target audience. BK is saying, "Hey, we know you don't want to give up your Whopper, so we'll give you an excuse to go to BK instead of wifey's McDonald's - we'll give you a break on the cost of little Joey's kid's meal, which we've sold out to Sponge Bob!" McDonald's is known for their happy meals and the cross promotions that give them purpose; Burger King just wants a piece of that market and they know that the parents - including dads - are ultimately the ones doing the driving through the drive through...and they figured they'd make fun of themselves while they were at it.

ETA: Here's another BK ad with a clear voice and audience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBkxI4rzYk. Notice the guy in the mini van. And here's another one I love from the Superbowl a few years ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h-A3...eature=related. A guy's fantasy?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tLz...eature=related

Last edited by PeppyGPhiB; 04-16-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Well, count me in with the guys (admittedly not that young anymore, but with young kids who like fast food) who finds the King in the BK ads very, very disturbing, in a Freddy Cruger sort of way. When the Baby Got Back ad (which, lets face it, is also aimed at kids who love Sponge Bob) came on the other night while we were all watching, my 11-year-old son, who loves commercials, even said "that's just kind of creepy."

Seriously, it's the only ad compaign I can think of that makes me go "I really don't know if I want to go there anymore."
Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
^^^ Well, count me in with the guys (admittedly not that young anymore, but with young kids who like fast food) who finds the King in the BK ads very, very disturbing, in a Freddy Cruger sort of way. When the Baby Got Back ad (which, lets face it, is also aimed at kids who love Sponge Bob) came on the other night while we were all watching, my 11-year-old son, who loves commercials, even said "that's just kind of creepy."

Seriously, it's the only ad compaign I can think of that makes me go "I really don't know if I want to go there anymore."
Some people do find the King creepy. I don't, but I know others do. I guess I don't get why people think The King is creepy, but not other mascots. It must be the mask - his face is motionless and emotionless. Kinda like McDonald's old characters - Grimace, Hamburgler, etc.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Some people do find the King creepy. I don't, but I know others do. I guess I don't get why people think The King is creepy, but not other mascots. It must be the mask - his face is motionless and emotionless.
That's exactly what it is - the big-headed, expression-never-changes, insane-killer mask.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
That's exactly what it is - the big-headed, expression-never-changes, insane-killer mask.
But that description fits many characters at Disneyland, too - Micky, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, etc. And people love them!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
But that description fits many characters at Disneyland, too - Micky, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, etc. And people love them!
Not me -- I hate Disney cartoons and Disney cartoon characters.

Seriously, they're not creepy because, I suppose, they are very familiar, and we've seen plenty of cartoons where they speak, their mouths move and they show expression, so we see those characters at Disneyland/World in a bigger context or woth a larger frame of reference.

The Burger King has no larger frame of reference. Just

Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Still don't think he's creepy.

Apparently BK used The King a few decades ago...they just brought him back recently.