GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 974
2 members and 972 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge

Old 11-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter’s resignation--Ole Miss

Article from The Daily Mississippian about Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter’s resignation

http://thedmonline.com/community-rea...s-resignation/

Twitter reacts to announcement of Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter’s resignation
Posted on Nov 9 2018 - 1:34pm by Devna Bose

The IHL Board announced Jeffrey Vitter’s intent to resign as Ole Miss Chancellor on Friday morning. Vitter will serve as Chancellor of the university until January 3, 2019, and continue as a tenured Distinguished Professor in the School of Engineering’s Department of Computer and Information Science.

“It has been an extraordinary honor and privilege to serve as the leader of the University of Mississippi during a time of great progress and accomplishment,” Vitter said.

The IHL release states that an Interim Chancellor will be named soon. The Ole Miss community quickly took to social media in response to the announcement of Vitter’s resignation. *click link to read the rest*
Old 11-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Readers Digest condensed version: is this good or bad?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Readers Digest condensed version: is this good or bad?
I would imagine Ole Miss alums/current students would like to chime in.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Vitter has overseen a lot of changes that many alums have complained bitterly about. He has been at the helm as Ole Miss became more & more liberal. He allowed the State of Mississippi flag to be removed from campus, which seems at least ungrateful, if not rude. Some people will say "Good riddance". Some will mourn his leadership to the left.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

http://chancellor.olemiss.edu/a-letter-of-appreciation/

A Letter of Appreciation
NOVEMBER 13, 2018 LETTERS FROM THE CHANCELLOR, WELCOME

It is bittersweet to write this note after announcing on Friday my decision to step down as chancellor and return to the faculty. Serving as your chancellor has been the greatest professional privilege of my life. We have dealt with taxing challenges and big opportunities, and we have built a solid foundation and momentum for the future. At the same time, I have concluded that the time is right for someone new to take the helm.

As I reflect on the past three years, we have many accomplishments to celebrate from our collaboration on the life-changing work of this university. Foremost among those accomplishments are elevating academic excellence; growing our research enterprise, including earning the prestigious Carnegie R-1 highest research activity designation; establishing four exciting Flagship Constellation areas of multidisciplinary research excellence; launching annual Tech Summits that position us as leaders in STEM education; delivering an academically sound, fact-focused process to put the past into greater context at several sites across the campus; promoting healthier communities across Mississippi by advocating successfully for passage of the Healthcare Collaboration Act as well as increasing our engagement and support through our M Partner initiative; creating several new exciting, fast-growing degree programs; launching the new Ole Miss International program that will matriculate international students starting in August; and, leading a successful appeal of the most onerous NCAA recruiting sanctions against our football program.

There are so many experiences and memories from the past three years that Sharon and I will always cherish. No one has ever enjoyed a better first day on a new job as we watched from the sidelines as the Rebels won the Sugar Bowl in my hometown of New Orleans. We have been blessed to enjoy so many amazing performances by our faculty and students in Carnegie Hall, our great Gertrude Ford Center, and other venues across campus. I was fortunate to lead the university when we welcomed superb commencement speakers in Tom Brokaw, Jon Meacham, and Walter Isaacson. And, I will always smile when thinking about my walk one afternoon across a large campo in Venice, Italy while wearing an Ole Miss cap, when all of a sudden came a distant call: “Hotty Toddy!”

More importantly, our successes are the result of the relationships and collective efforts of so many dedicated people who are committed to ensuring the continued success of the university. Sharon and I have made so many great friends here to whom I am forever indebted for their service, counsel, and support. The talented and dedicated leaders and faculty across all of our campuses are remarkably focused on our students, who bring the passion, vitality, and idealism that makes our university so vibrant. Our staff delivers, day in and day out, to keep the university moving forward and serving our students with distinction. In particular, I want to highlight the staff in the Office of the Chancellor, which worked tirelessly to manage an incredible volume of documents, requests, and materials to support me and help me to put my best foot forward. I am constantly inspired by the passion and dedication that fuels our alumni and friends to support and contribute to building the future of the university.

As we look ahead, the university is fortunate to enjoy the experience and wisdom of so many leaders on campus and across our state who will ensure that this institution navigates this transition well. Our fundamentals are strong. I commit to you that I will do everything in my power to ensure a smooth and positive transition. Sharon and I will remain loyal members of Rebel Nation.

For 170 years, the University of Mississippi has served its students, this state, and the nation with distinction. I remain confident and optimistic about the university’s future. I am grateful for the opportunity to play a part in shaping its tremendous legacy.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Vitter

Chancellor and Distinguished Professor