GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,151
0 members and 2,151 guests
No Members online

Old 01-15-2006, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Question Anyone with an iTrip?

I got an iTrip for Christmas and I was really excited over the idea of being able to listen to my iPod in the car, but there's one problem--it's very staticky, no matter what station I use. The instructions say to choose a station that's clear of any noise or static, preferably with nothing on the neighboring frequencies either, but that's impossible around here as every other station either has gospel singing or country on it. Every time I find a "blank" station it works for a few blocks, then it starts getting staticky again and it's very annoying. Has anyone else had this problem, by chance? I'm just wondering if it's just that there aren't any suitable stations around here, or if the iTrip thing itself sucks.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-15-2006, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you tried using the iTrip on a stereo at home? That would determine if it sucks or if it's just the lack of stations. Also, where in the car are you holding it? Mine really sucked in my mom's SUV for a while until I started keeping it closer to the antenna.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
It depends on the topography of your area, and whether you can get a clear station. I have the same static issue with mine, but it took a fair amount of hunting and pecking to find a station that finally worked.

If you don't have one already, see if you can get a list of all the radio frequencies in your area and then just play around to find one that is less staticky than the other. Also, make sure that you don't have the volume on your iPod up too loud, as that can also cause distortion.

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Hmmm...those are all good suggestions. I usually keep my iPod on this little ledge thingy on the dashboard right above my radio because it's got a rubbery surface so the iPod doesn't slide around. I guess the biggest issue is actually finding a station that will work. My boyfriend has Sirius and I tried the station he suggested because it seems to work for him, but I still had the same problem--don't know if the iTrip's signal is just really weak or what. But anyway, I guess I'll play with it some more.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
Hmmm...those are all good suggestions. I usually keep my iPod on this little ledge thingy on the dashboard right above my radio because it's got a rubbery surface so the iPod doesn't slide around. I guess the biggest issue is actually finding a station that will work. My boyfriend has Sirius and I tried the station he suggested because it seems to work for him, but I still had the same problem--don't know if the iTrip's signal is just really weak or what. But anyway, I guess I'll play with it some more.
What do you have the volume set at? I found mine works best at about 80%.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
This is why my Scion has a ipod hookup in the armrest...perfect digital sound.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I have an iTrip and Sirius, and Sirius's signal is way stronger than the iTrip's.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Try adjusting the volume. That has a lot to do with static too.

I hate mine. It eats the battery up too quickly. I was searching for one that charges the ipod while it's playing, so my mom bought me an iPod Roadtrip... which sucked cuz it didn't have a cord but this plastic arm thingy that was awkward and wobbly so I returned it. The asshole at Best Buy told me to get this off brand that works with alot of mp3 players and told me that it charges the iPod while it plays... no it doesn't.

Anyone know of anything?

KLTC
Old 01-15-2006, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Try adjusting the volume. That has a lot to do with static too.

I hate mine. It eats the battery up too quickly. I was searching for one that charges the ipod while it's playing, so my mom bought me an iPod Roadtrip... which sucked cuz it didn't have a cord but this plastic arm thingy that was awkward and wobbly so I returned it. The asshole at Best Buy told me to get this off brand that works with alot of mp3 players and told me that it charges the iPod while it plays... no it doesn't.

Anyone know of anything?
When I use my iTrip I plug it into the PowerJolt charger, which works great - charges it pretty quickly!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have an iTrip personally, however, on a road trip with some friends, we listened to her iPod with the iTrip for about 6 hours.

I would think that your problem might be the lack of radio stations?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
When I use my iTrip I plug it into the PowerJolt charger, which works great - charges it pretty quickly!
Are there more than one version of iTrip? Cuz mine doesn't have a plug except to plug into the top of the iPod.

KLTC
Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I bought the iTrip this past summer and used it all of 5 times before I tossed it into my backseat. The suggested station was waaay staticky (maybe it's a Lexington thing) and I didn't want to go through the trouble of scanning every channel on the radio. Overall, I wish my car had a tape deck, because the things that plug into your iPod through those work a million times better.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Are there more than one version of iTrip? Cuz mine doesn't have a plug except to plug into the top of the iPod.
You're right, but as you're using it you can plug in a separate car charger in the bottom, so that the battery doesn't run out.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I had to try a lot of stations before I found two that are the least static-y. I just alternate between the two. Also, the volume makes a huge difference.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a non-Apple brand one I've used for my CD player on my old car that didn't have one built in as well as for my iPod, and I personally think it stinks. I can never find a station that isn't full of static. When I find one, it gets static as I drive. I'm about to bite the bullet and take my car into a car stereo place to see if they can install an auxilliary plug somewhere since my CD player (an '02) doesn't have one.