GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,476
2 members and 2,474 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2016, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of people don't RSVP? People who grew up in a barn?

Some relatives--who were courtesy invites at best--simply felt calling my parents and mentioning it as part of a regular conversation was a good idea. Nope. I want my 49-cent stamp back, jerkfaces.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2016, 12:21 AM

I legit just saw someone post bridal shower pics to FB and upload pics of herself with every single gift. Every single one.

Why?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to a wedding this Friday at 6PM in downtown Dallas. I really don't think they could have picked a worse time.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you notes, ok having gotten married last year, I made sure I sent thank you notes to everyone who made the trip to our destination wedding, and those who sent cards/gifts but couldn't attend. And I got all on my husband's butt about making sure he did the same with his friends and family.

I have a family member who got married 2 years ago, still haven't gotten a thank you card or anything. I never even got one when I sent her a baby shower gift. I thought me sending her a thank you card for her gifts she gave me would have spurred a response.

Seriously that common courtesy should be drilled into the heads of everyone. Ok ending my rant. As you can see my hide is still chaffed over that one.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, 10 days to go and no meltdowns yet!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Thank you notes, ok having gotten married last year, I made sure I sent thank you notes to everyone who made the trip to our destination wedding, and those who sent cards/gifts but couldn't attend. And I got all on my husband's butt about making sure he did the same with his friends and family.

I have a family member who got married 2 years ago, still haven't gotten a thank you card or anything. I never even got one when I sent her a baby shower gift. I thought me sending her a thank you card for her gifts she gave me would have spurred a response.

Seriously that common courtesy should be drilled into the heads of everyone. Ok ending my rant. As you can see my hide is still chaffed over that one.
THANK YOU!! DH refused to believe me when I said that's how it's done these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Enjoy these days, Munchkin! Make the decision to relax and enjoy your Big Day - it's only the first day of the rest of your life together! Best Wishes!
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have a wonderful day and an even more wonderful future
Old 10-04-2016, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Have a wonderful day and an even more wonderful future
Thanks, Dee!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Congratulations!
Old 05-14-2017, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMPing this one for a doozy!

My mom told me that a cousin sent her an invitation to her wedding. Via text. The wedding is on a Wednesday in two weeks, so it's a pretty transparent money (and not gift) grab. The parents of this cousin came to our wedding, so my parents are being nice and sending a small check.

But the gall! So much gall.

There's also the story of the bride whose invitation includes a time 30 minutes before the ceremony start. Lovely!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I had to post this one. There's an article about a couple out of England who are asking their guests to pay $200 to attend the wedding. The cheek.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-41317297

Quote:
"People always pay a large amount of money to go to a wedding anyway, so why not have it paying towards the actual wedding rather than just to a business owner?" Farina told the BBC.
Yes, of course. People pay money indirectly to go to a wedding - fuel cost for the drive, new dress or shirt, wedding gift, etc. But, this isn't the case here. The guests still have to book the 3-day package with the business owner.

Quote:
"I sold it to them a bit like an all-inclusive holiday, so all the food and drinks will be incorporated in that cost.
That's funny. Because most weddings are free to attend and the food and drinks are provided to the guests by the hosting couple, you know, for free.

Look, the groom says that the $202 includes three-night's stay at the venue. Copy. But now people are forced to spend the whole weekend there for a one day wedding. Also, his argument about how he and his bride had spent $2,600 to attend a friend's wedding in Greece is rubbish. First off, flying off to Greece for a destination wedding is not the same thing as asking your guests to drive 40 miles out of town to a day wedding. Secondly, it's not an argument that you and the bride overspent on someone else's wedding in Greece, therefore it's ok to ask your guests to outright pay to come to yours. Perhaps they should have skipped the Greek wedding, sent a lovely gift check, and then saved the remaining $2,400 dollars towards their own wedding?

Here is the groom's defense in a different article: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news...-guests-503762

I wonder if this is all probably some kind of publicity stunt for the venue or something. That or one of the guests had to be offended enough to tip off the newspapers.

True and Constant
Old 09-21-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Ok, I had to post this one. There's an article about a couple out of England who are asking their guests to pay $200 to attend the wedding. The cheek.
Damn.

If you can't afford your dream wedding, and your parents are unable or unwilling to foot the bill, you either wait until you have saved enough money for your dream wedding, or you elope or have a small family-only wedding now and perhaps have a renewal of vows and throw a celebratory party later on. You don't ask your guests to pay.

If I were invited to a wedding like this, I'd either decline the invitation, or I'd accept and pay - but that payment would be in lieu of a wedding gift.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, but, did you notice these gems from the articles?

"The loved-up couple have just purchased a house in Rotherham and, before Ben made the proposal, needed to find ways the pair could afford their special day. "

"The package does not allow guests to stay for one day or for the wedding itself – they must spend the whole weekend there."

"Ben, 33, told the Derby Telegraph they wanted to get married abroad but, because certain families could not travel, this was not possible."

"The couple are buying alcohol from a supermarket for the wedding day itself, and guests can bring along their own alcohol to drink over the weekend"

True and Constant
Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who is recently engaged and currently planning a wedding, I was blown away when I saw that. I feel bad asking people to travel to our wedding and we are only registering for gifts because my dad is making me--we are older and have everything we need. I can't imagine asking anyone for money or to contribute to our wedding. We have a budget and our families have generously contributed and if we want more, then we will pay for it ourselves. I just don't understand people. But now I do understand how weddings can drive people bonkers!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

This is appalling! Sure people will spend a lot of money on a wedding but that's their choice to how much they want to spend. I recently was married. My hubby and I paid over 80% of the wedding out of pocket. Our parents gave a little towards but figured that since we are both in our 30s and working full-time, we can afford it.

While yes most of my guests did spend more than $200 between travel (most were out of state) and hotel (our room block was $150/night or so) but it was their choice. None of that money went to us. We still provided them a very filling and delicious dinner and all the alcohol they wanted.