GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,136
2 members and 1,134 guests
No Members online

Old 02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Ida Shaw Martin

Ida Shaw martin is probably the most instrumental person ever in the development of the sorority system. I don't know if much has been written about her on this forum but Xidelt asked me to do some research and report.

First she edited a publication "The Sorority Handbook" which was a Baird's Manual type edition strictly about sororities. The first was published in 1905 and a total of eleven were published, the last being 1931. They are very very rare, and expensive if you are lucky enough to find one. I have the 6th, 8th & 9th editions in my library.

Because she edited the publication she quickly came somone who others sought for advice, especially local groups seeking national affiliation. Sometime during the 1920s she became more official and organized The Sorority Service Bureau. During this period she was instrumental in founding Pi Lambda Sigma (absorbed by Theta Phi Alpha in 1952), Theta Upsilon (absorbed by Delta Zeta in 1962), and Theta Sigma Upsilon (absorbed by Alpha Gamma Delta in 1959) all in 1921; Lambda Omega (absorbed by Theta Upsilon in 1933) in 1923; and Pi Delta Theta (absorbed by Delta Sigma Epsilon in 1941) in 1925.

Zeta Tau Alpha gives her credit in helping them achieve NPC status and aiding in founding their first northern chapters. She claims to have been instrumental in changing the name of Alpha Delta Phi to Alpha Delta Pi. She was also elected national president of Alpha Sigma Alpha during their early years (and edited their magazine).

The most recent history of Delta Delta Delta devoted several pages to this fascinating woman. It seems to me that NPC should be doing more to immortalize this amazing sorority pioneer.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I never knew about her Pi Lambda Sigma connection! Admittedly, I don't know too much about Pi Lambda Sigma at all, aside from the very basic facts about Theta Phi's absorbtion Were they ever a member of NPC?

She sounds like quite a lady.

Keep all the great info coming, oldu, fascinating stuff.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 PM

Didn't Mrs. Martin also try to get Delta Zeta and Zeta Tau Alpha to merge? I think I remember reading that somewhere. The merger failed because neither group wanted to give up their letters or symbols?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Hey! Oldu? Where's the Mary Love Collins thread??!??
Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for the information! I really love all of this info on Greek history...just bought a history book of Pi Kappa Sigma off of Ebay. And I happened to capture a copy of The Sorority Handbook for $16 off of Ebay last year.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Bumping to share that at this University of California Digital Library page, you can download (for free) Ida Shaw Martin's The Sorority Handbook (3rd ed. 1909) in pdf, epub, kindle and other formats. You can also get the google books version here (same UC archives copy).

It really is a fascinating read, especially when you see how many of the sororities had fewer than 1000 members total. I didn't keep count, but I think Pi Phi was the largest group at 5200 total members.

And I was interested to see a separate section on "Musical Sororities," which included discussion of Alpha Chi Omega (by then "Musical-Literary") and Mu Phi Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Iota and Phi Mu Epsilon (which merged with Mu Phi Epsilon). There is also a section on "Medical Sororities" (Alpha Epsilon Iota, Epsilon Tau and Zeta Phi).

But I think my favorite part was this description of the Phi Mu badge: "The badge is an oddly shaped shield of black enamel dispaying in the centre a hand holding a heart."

Now if I could only find digital versions of Emily Butterfield's College Fraternity Heraldry.

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Banned

I have a copy of that publication. PM me and I can get you a copy.

BG
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Thank you so much, MysticCat! I downloaded it and am looking forward to reading through it.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

That is incredible! Thanks for sharing MC! I downloaded it too and am trying to keep from reading it all right now.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

How was she able to do all that?!

The sororities were also founded at different colleges...was she a professor or something? I am so confused and amazed by Ida Shaw Martin!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

She was an amazing woman. Putting together a book like the Sorority Handbook was a very real chore back in the early 1900s. She corresponded with the groups themselves trying to find information. Her Sorority Service Bureau assisted Greek-letter organizations. I'm working on a post about her and hope to have it done soon.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Edited because I apparently can't read time stamps today and replied to a 5 year old post.

Last edited by DDDlady; 03-12-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it interesting that she also helped found several NPC organizations. I wonder if it ever became an issue that she was a sister of so many NPC's...
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

pas,

Sarah Ida Shaw Martin wasn't a member of all of those organizations, she just acted as consultant. She had the Sorority Service Bureau. She was privy to secret information in rituals b/c she wrote some of them. But she wasn't initiated into the other organizations, save MAYBE Alpha Sigma Alpha. She saved ASA and eventually became their president. However, it wouldn't be a big deal if she was DDD/ASA b/c ASA was not NPC- it was in the (what became known as ) the Association of Education Sororities (AES). There were many dual memberships btwn NPC and AES until AES dissolved and all members joined the NPC. Then ladies w/ dual memberships had to choose their affiliations.

The perpetual bonds of friendship
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe I read something a long time ago that Ida Shaw Martin had once proposed a merger between Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Zeta, since ZTA was strong in the south and DZ was strong in the north. Obviously this did not happen, but it is interesting to consider what a powerhouse sorority that would have created.