GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,333
2 members and 2,331 guests
TLLK

Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

international students joining sororities?

Hi Im an international student and was thinking of trying to join a sorority during Fall 2010. I was wondering if it was rare for an international student to be apart of Greek Life? becasue I dont see a lot of them participating.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn't you know the answer to this question because you already went through rush, according to your first thread?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanessa2010 View Post
Hi Im an international student and was thinking of trying to join a sorority during Fall 2010. I was wondering if it was rare for an international student to be apart of Greek Life? becasue I dont see a lot of them participating.
The difficulty of getting a bid as an international student probably varies by school, but my chapter has at least 5 international students as sisters. It's definitely doable.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with littleowl- each school is unique and each chapter at each school is unique. At my school it didn't matter whether you were international or domestic. If anything, international students added a little extra flair to the group. I wouldn't say we'd ever pick someone just because they were an international student, but it certainly wouldn't hurt at my school. We had women from Thailand, Russia, Laos, etc in our system. Sometimes international students were less likely to rush, however, due to the extra cost, so I don't think we had as many international students as we would have liked.

If you want it to help you stand out, be sure to think about a few fun stories or quirks about where you grew up. Don't make your conversation all about that, but it won't hurt to have a couple of safe anecdotes in your back pocket to pull out. Chances are someone will ask you where you're from or how you picked the school. That really goes for anyone that isn't from the same area as the school, though. I spent a few minutes at couple of parties talking about where I was from (WA) and why I picked that school & area (WI).
Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the support and advice it was very helpful n ill def. keep it in mind! LatinaAlumna I havent rushed yet my question says "im trying to join a sorority during Fall 2010" n its only Feb.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

From your other thread, it sounded like you had already rushed and didn't receive a bid from your 1st choice (at the time I posted). Then you returned and clarified.