GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,252
3 members and 2,249 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking being really fratty

what do you think about this? http://reallychill.org/fratting-hard/2-fratting-hard/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Because sweeping generalizations are fun and completely accurate!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnabo View Post
A) This is retarded.
B) It's not even mildly funny.
C) Using words like "really chill" sounds much too West coast and no where near fratty.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

come on that's a little harsh, I thought it was funny. Did you read the exclusivity post?

http://reallychill.org/exclusvitity/1-exclusivity/

did you think the frat theme about it was off, or you didn't like the style of writing on the site?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Does someone want to be Tucker Max (who I think is a douchebag anyway)?

Who would follow this advice and who would be impressed by someone who does? If you're going to promote a book know genre, spell it correctly (novela?) and realize that a novella and a how to book are not the same. Well maybe the book is short fiction, though calling it self help is generous.

All the other grammar and spelling errors make me sad. I'm also at the critique of Jersey Shore being "disgraceful and offensive" satire is also something the authors of this website misunderstand along with novella. Jersey is amazing and wonderful.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
come on that's a little harsh, I thought it was funny. Did you read the exclusivity post?

http://reallychill.org/exclusvitity/1-exclusivity/

did you think the frat theme about it was off, or you didn't like the style of writing on the site?
So, I assume you're the author, or at least involved with the site. So here's some advice:

-It doesn't make sense. There's no "flow", no narrative at all. It's not funny - not simply because it's not clever, but because it doesn't build. Comedy is an art - you should read up on the theory of comedy and try to use it, because right now, you're throwing shit (usually repetition or non sequiturs) against the wall. It doesn't stick.

-The 'definition' of "Fratty" is pretty silly, and not really at all what I would consider "correct" in any way. Why would you try to extend the definition to fit some massive section of the population? Why go out of your way to include people not in greek orgs or whatever? Fratty is more than drinking. Fratty is less than a lifestyle. Precision is your friend. Also, constraints breed creativity - your shit will get funnier the more you restrict the definition. Again, you'd know this if you read a book or something.

-The structure sucks. A bunch of outline-style lists? Really?

-I don't really see the Tucker Max comparisons, for a multitude of reasons. Say what you will about Max, but he has a voice - this has no unique voice at all. As such, it comes across as derivative.

So yeah - you asked, dude.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not the author, but I am friends with the people who run the site. You are right, I did ask for feedback and thank you what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I'm going to summarize the feedback and let them know.

I will say this though, it is a complete joke, I wouldn't take it at face value or too seriously because they don't take the site seriously. It started out as a couple of inside jokes amongst friends and then turned into the current blog.

but like I said, great feedback!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am not the author, but I am friends with the people who run the site. You are right, I did ask for feedback and thank you what you are saying makes a lot of sense. I'm going to summarize the feedback and let them know.

I will say this though, it is a complete joke, I wouldn't take it at face value or too seriously because they don't take the site seriously. It started out as a couple of inside jokes amongst friends and then turned into the current blog.

but like I said, great feedback!
Inside jokes are usually only funny to those on the inside, other wise, not funny.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Inside jokes are usually only funny to those on the inside, other wise, not funny.
I said the site, literally just started (you can see the archives) recently. by recently I mean mid-november.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I said the site, literally just started (you can see the archives) recently. by recently I mean mid-november.
Don't really see the connection of inside jokes and a blog existing for less than six weeks here, but it isn't as if I'm your target audience.

I'm really amazed ElephantWalk and I agree on something.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
I'm not "taking it seriously" - I'm literally telling you why it's not funny. Because it's not. Like, maybe you're the funniest guys in your corner of the student union . . . but the site is not funny. At all. It needs major, major work to not suck. Kind of like that woman whose face was eaten by the ape. That much work.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

ultimately, it just fails to grab my attention. even a quick skim through makes me want to read it less.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Because I am a writer, I actually took a few minutes to look at the site.

Despite my not being your key demographic, it's not funny. It also reads like an 9th grade term paper that tries to string together ideas that are not not really related to each other.

The title makes no sense to a blog, unless it was the type that shows photos like "Antiduckface.com" or Postsecret - you can have users submit photos of people who think they're "chill" - whatever that means.

I'm guessing that the "Mr. Exclusive"(et al) pieces are going to giving recurring "advice giver" or whatever. "Mr. Exclusive" and his buddies have no context. Who is he/she? Why should we listen to him/her? What are his/her credentials (even if meant to be comical, you still need a point of reference).

Lastly, is there already a book/guide? The site reads like there one exists (although it still makes no sense - the Guide to being Chill? Yet I read that "We here at ReallyChill.Org are excited to announce that we are compiling the best content on this site into a manuscript entitled You’re Like Really CHILL: The Definitive Guide To a lifestyle of Exclusivity & Awesomeness." (I can't unbold that).

The whole thing makes no sense and offers nothing. Sorry to sound harsh, but a blog needs purpose, even if it's meant to amuse.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
I'm not "taking it seriously" - I'm literally telling you why it's not funny. Because it's not. Like, maybe you're the funniest guys in your corner of the student union . . . but the site is not funny. At all. It needs major, major work to not suck. Kind of like that woman whose face was eaten by the ape. That much work.
FTW.

OP: I spent a few minutes looking at it and I agree with the feedback that has been offered so far. The writing is weak. The posts don't flow. It's not even remotely funny. You (or your friends, or whomever is responsible for it...) totally need to take this idea back to the drawing board if it's truly a site you want to share with others, because it doesn't work at all right now. I'm not trying to be harsh but it just needs an awful lot of work.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
Like, maybe you're the funniest guys in your corner of the student union . . . but the site is not funny. At all. It needs major, major work to not suck. Kind of like that woman whose face was eaten by the ape. That much work.
LOL

It definitely reads like a bunch of college students sitting around making jokes that THEY find funny. We all have a group of friends who get our tone and jokes. That does not make us all comics.

Since you released these "jokes" for public consumption, it is pretty clear that this is the corniest thing I've read in a very long time. I have no advice because it is just so corny that letting go and settling with the FAIL is a tremendous idea. SaaaaaVe yourrrrrrselllllllfffffffff *echo echo*