GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,205
5 members and 2,200 guests
aantonygooglet9, Kevin, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

UNC-Chapel Hill Recruitment

Hey y'all.
As I'm sure some of you are aware, sorority recruitment at UNC-Chapel Hill begins tomorrow. I am going through recruitment and I am SO EXCITED!
Anyway, I have read all of the stickied threads for PNMs and many of the non-stickied threads (I have been lurking for a few months) so I feel relatively well prepared. I was just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice specific to UNC-Chapel Hill recruitment. Anything you can tell me would be fabulous, as I am suffering from a bad case of nerves.
Also, I have a more specific question. If I am from a state/region EXTREMELY underepresented on the Chapel Hill campus should I keep it to myself or play it up? I'm just not sure if it would hurt me or harm me to mention it.
Thanks so much in advance! GC has been really, really valuable to me so far and I really appreciate all ithe wisdom all the members provide.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Good luck with recruitment at Chapel Hill! I wish I could offer you advice, unfortunately I don't know much about their Greek system. However, with your comment about being from an area very underrepresented at UNC, I'd definitely bring it up! It'll make you stand out amongst the other PNMs because sisters can remember you as "the girl from Alaska" (or wherever).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

All of the houses had a good rush last year, so that's good news to keep in mind.

The houses are very different in character, but that just means there's a home for everybody.

There is no stigma at all about being from out of state - after all, it's damn hard to get in from out of state - but there are houses that do have lots of in-state legacies and in-state friends from high school coming through, so you really have to stand out as a gem in the first couple of rounds. Major cuts at UNC used to be between rounds 2 and 3 - don't know if it's still that way.

COB happens frequently at UNC and is worth taking advantage of if things go awry during recruitment (hopefully that won't happen).

Best advice I can give you - don't hide involvement in activities or good grades or the fact that you're from out of state, but focus on being a good and fun conversationalist. Be in the moment, listen to what people are saying to you, smile, be eager and engaged, and talk to the girl rushing you as if she could be your yogurt and study buddy next week (because she could). Being perceived as a fun, poised, happy person goes a long way towards securing a return invite.

And keep an open mind - I've heard rumors that a couple of years ago, there was a lot of really nasty tent talk based on old stereotypes. Trusted sources tell me that everyone got great new member classes last year, so focus on that.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I've got some great friends from Chapel Hill that are really excited for the start of recruitment. Just relax and be the very best of yourself and things should be fine.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! You have really helped to stop my stressing out so much. I am amazed by how helpful and knowledgeable the majority of GC members are!
Also, if anyone is interested, I will be posting an (extremely discrete and delayed) thread in the Recruitment Stories forum soon.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The best way I can think to describe UNC recruitment is competitive but not insane. I'm relatively new as an advisor but I wasn't aware of chapters that needed to COB. Very few if any do to my knowledge. You will want to maximize your options every round. I believe all chapters use the release figures method so the harshest cuts should come after the first round. Although I have known some PNM to get heavy cuts after rounds one and two. If you have an open mind, ignore the tent talk, and you do indeed go to every party you are invited to you, you stand a very good chance of receiving a bid.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Jimmy Choo; 09-04-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck during recruitment! Keep an open mind and enjoy every moment!

GPhiB
Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelHoney View Post
Hey y'all.
As I'm sure some of you are aware, sorority recruitment at UNC-Chapel Hill begins tomorrow. I am going through recruitment and I am SO EXCITED!
Anyway, I have read all of the stickied threads for PNMs and many of the non-stickied threads (I have been lurking for a few months) so I feel relatively well prepared. I was just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice specific to UNC-Chapel Hill recruitment. Anything you can tell me would be fabulous, as I am suffering from a bad case of nerves.
Also, I have a more specific question. If I am from a state/region EXTREMELY underepresented on the Chapel Hill campus should I keep it to myself or play it up? I'm just not sure if it would hurt me or harm me to mention it.
Thanks so much in advance! GC has been really, really valuable to me so far and I really appreciate all ithe wisdom all the members provide.
I'm from New Jersey and I wore a pink, glittered name tag in the shape of NJ. Not sure if it help or hurt me, but whatever! I ended up where I wanted to be!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

TarHeelHoney - Bid day was yesterday! How'd it go?
Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I won't spoil the ending for you, but you can find out here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=107192