GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,198
0 members and 1,198 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

registration for recruitment

Hey guys, how are you? I had a question about registering for recruitment. If a PNM is registering to participate in recruitment and they only have enough units to be considered in freshman standing but has gone to school for over a year, what does she say on her application?

Last edited by indiemusic86; 09-07-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

If you have Sophomore credits, you are a Sophomore.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADSigMel
Which bites. I started college with sophomore standing, because a lot of the classes I took in high school counted for college credit, and then I had a lot of AP credit and such. So by the time I rushed my second year (for the second time - since I also rushed my first year), I was technically a junior, even though I did plan to do my full four years of college (because I was double-majoring). And the fact that I was rushing as a "junior" probably counted against me in a lot of peoples' books. It sucked that going to a college-prep high school hurt me when it came to Rush.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Or, since some schools don't go by traditional class years, you could simply say "first year" or "second year".
Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADSigMel
Yeah, that would have been nice. I don't recall our recruitment form being like that. I think you had to check a box for Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior. I don't remember for sure though, it's been 5 years since I last went through rush.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
When I went though (and I think it is still this way) you listed your high school and graduation date. So any rush chair with half a brain would be able to tell what year you were in college (unless you took time off school for work, travel, military...).
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSigMel
Which bites. I started college with sophomore standing, because a lot of the classes I took in high school counted for college credit, and then I had a lot of AP credit and such. So by the time I rushed my second year (for the second time - since I also rushed my first year), I was technically a junior, even though I did plan to do my full four years of college (because I was double-majoring). And the fact that I was rushing as a "junior" probably counted against me in a lot of peoples' books. It sucked that going to a college-prep high school hurt me when it came to Rush.

i am in that same situation as you were in-- i am tring to do informal recruitment this fall and i am in my third year but since i am pursuing duel degrees (150overall credits vs. the 120 usually required to graduate) i have been taking summer classes and that on top of all my credits from IB/AP in highschool, i have well over senior standing but i am still going to graduate in two years...

after talking to some people, i decided to do informal since it would be my best option.

Good luck to indiemusic86 registering and with your rush!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:02 PM

If you have enough units to be considered a sophomore, then you register as a sophomore. This indicates that, even though you've been enrolled for 3 years, if you join a GLO, you'll have about 3 more years to devote to your chapter as an active collegian.

You are likely to be asked why you're only a sophomore even though you've been in college for 3 years. If you took a semester or two off, went part-time or light load for a while, switched majors, or transferred and had only some of your credits transfer over to your new school (which I gather is not the case here), that is ok. If you failed all your classes your first year, that's bad. (If you did fail a lot of classes, of course, it will be reflected in your GPA.)

Good luck with recruitment.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
If you have Sophomore credits, you are a Sophomore.
I second this
Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

thanks you all for the great advice... i really apprechiate it!
Old 09-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

agreed. if you have sophomore credits you should list that you are a sophomore.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking transfer student?

Now, what class standing should my friend put down? She is a transfer student. At her former school she was a third year/junior (had 80+ credits), but not all of these will transfer to her new school, making her a fourth year student, yet a sophomore? Errr something like that.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You know, I feel like we have enough questions on this topic that maybe CPH registration forms should ask "Expected Graduation Date". If you are a collegian, suggest this to your CPH and see how it goes.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

sexysquirrel, if your friends new school considers her a sophomore, then that is what she puts on her recruitment application.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexySquirrel View Post
Now, what class standing should my friend put down? She is a transfer student. At her former school she was a third year/junior (had 80+ credits), but not all of these will transfer to her new school, making her a fourth year student, yet a sophomore? Errr something like that.
I transfered schools. Although it was my fourth year in school, I only transfered enough credits to be a sophomore. If I rushed at my new school I would have put down sophomore....because that was what I was. If I was asked why I was a sophomore but 20, I would have explained that I lost credits while transferring. It's common place to lose a ton of credits while transferring...esp in to or out of my new school.

Patriae Multae Spes Una