GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 844
0 members and 844 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2017, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Michigan IFC Cancels Fraternity Activities

This is an interesting twist- IFC is doing it proactively.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ha...vities-n819746
Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm proud of them for doing this. I'm not proud of the things they've allegedly done that led them to do this, but at least now they realize that things have gotten out of hand and something needs to happen before someone gets really hurt or worse.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

So on a campus of tens of thousands, they had a grand total of 30 hospital trips, only a portion of which are attributable to Greek Life. I would assume that the chapter participating in the drugging is now shut down or on its way to being shut down.

I really hate to see hospital trips used against our organizations as doing so discourages our actives from seeking medical attention from members or guests who may have overindulged.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
So on a campus of tens of thousands, they had a grand total of 30 hospital trips, only a portion of which are attributable to Greek Life. I would assume that the chapter participating in the drugging is now shut down or on its way to being shut down.

I really hate to see hospital trips used against our organizations as doing so discourages our actives from seeking medical attention from members or guests who may have overindulged.
My understanding is that one chapter was responsible for a third of those hospital trips. That's not insignificant. All it takes is one person to get very hurt and the entire system will be shut down. I'm glad they realize there is a problem and are being proactive.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
My understanding is that one chapter was responsible for a third of those hospital trips. That's not insignificant.
I'd be very interested to know the particulars, but if there were 10 hospital trips, while guests and members may have overindulged, it appears there was someone cautious and responsible enough to seek medical attention for those who needed it. I'm not saying that excuses everything else, but one thing which was lacking in I want to say all of the recent drug/alcohol related deaths is that medical attention was not sought until it was too late.

Quote:
All it takes is one person to get very hurt and the entire system will be shut down. I'm glad they realize there is a problem and are being proactive.
I'm not sure how shutting down because something might happen is proactive. Suspending official activities of fraternities is not going to stop underage drinking nor will it stop 18-21 year olds from making poor decisions in the moment. Suspending these organizations will, however, for example, remove the degree of organization and caution which prompted that organization to ensure 10 ambulances were called to their event despite I'm sure being fully aware of the heat that would bring down on them.

And now they have a lose-lose at Michigan. If they suspend activities and nothing bad happens, they did just suspend activities and everyone is playing catch up in the Spring. If activities are suspended and something bad happens anyway, then it will be said things are so out of control that the IFC system is beyond even its own control.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'd be very interested to know the particulars, but if there were 10 hospital trips, while guests and members may have overindulged, it appears there was someone cautious and responsible enough to seek medical attention for those who needed it. I'm not saying that excuses everything else, but one thing which was lacking in I want to say all of the recent drug/alcohol related deaths is that medical attention was not sought until it was too late.

I'm not sure how shutting down because something might happen is proactive. Suspending official activities of fraternities is not going to stop underage drinking nor will it stop 18-21 year olds from making poor decisions in the moment. Suspending these organizations will, however, for example, remove the degree of organization and caution which prompted that organization to ensure 10 ambulances were called to their event despite I'm sure being fully aware of the heat that would bring down on them.

And now they have a lose-lose at Michigan. If they suspend activities and nothing bad happens, they did just suspend activities and everyone is playing catch up in the Spring. If activities are suspended and something bad happens anyway, then it will be said things are so out of control that the IFC system is beyond even its own control.
I understand and actually agree with all your points. I'm glad there were people with enough sense to call ambulances, even if they knew there would be negative consequences. I hope that continues. After other events in the past few years, I think Greek Life at Michigan has had a target on its back, and I think for the most part, the kids are trying their best to get things under control. I hope that by IFC shutting themselves down, maybe it will wake everyone up so that things will improve in the future. I don't know what the answer is.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Some of those chapters absolutely deserve that target on their backs. Googling certain chapters, I'm seeing a pattern of outrageous behavior which has continued over a number of years. I was shocked to see one particular group still has its charter. My very brief research tells me at least where public incidents are considered, there are a few chapters which are the real problems. Further Googling also shows those chapters raising six figure donations to deserving charities.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree 100% about the hospital trips. Last thing we need is people scared to call 911 in an emergency.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Every time I read this article, the way things are portrayed irks me a little more. So at Michigan, 80 instances of sexual assault were reported. Nowhere does the report attempt to explain how during that 1 year period ANY of those had anything to do with any IFC organization. I would say in terms of sexual assault reports per capita on a campus like Michigan, 80 is better (in terms of being a low number) than you'd expect.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Does any of it talk about any specific sorority?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Does any of it talk about any specific sorority?
I believe that the hospitalized women were members of AEPhi
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Agree 100% about the hospital trips. Last thing we need is people scared to call 911 in an emergency.
Amen to this.

I was a graduate student at MIT when Scott Krueger, a FIJI pledge, died of alcohol poisoning. His "brothers" did NOT call 911 when he lost consciousness - instead, they placed him on a couch and put a wastebasket nearby for him to throw up in. That is NOT brotherhood.