GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,328
0 members and 2,328 guests
No Members online

Old 11-06-2001, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Auburn University Frats (2 of them)

Let's skee how people "feel" about this.

I just heard about it on the news.

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=11594

ATAAB?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2001, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I think that it is extremely sad that in 2001, we still have people in this country who think things like this are funny. Even with the recent terror attacks in this country, there is still no unity on the homefront. I hope these people are severely punished for their acts so they never, ever do it again.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Old 11-06-2001, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Members of the NPHC list posted some of those pictures. I couldn't look at more than one before I got physically ill.

I honestly hope that the Auburn University adminstration has enough cojones to see this through to its conclusion. I'd definitely kick the orgs. off campus. Sensitivity training? I don't know if that would work.

But I'm not surprised that this stuff happens. Remember, some of these so-called "fraternity men" may be coming from homes where their parents are whining about how that f%#@*&^ affirmative action or those (racial slurs) cost them a promotion or a great job or something.

ST
Old 11-06-2001, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry What will probably Happen

I know I am being negative but what will probably happen is they will get a slap on the wrist and some "diversity" training......But what really needs to happen is an investigation and no rush allowed until this situation has been rectified to the fullest.

Sphinxpoet
Old 11-06-2001, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry man, bunk the trainings

Drop 'em off in the hood. With their KKK gear on. I bet they won't do it no more. Let them see what hatred feels like when you're on the other side. I'm sure I'll get reamed for this. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that. But I'm talkin' rehab. That's rehab like a mug. Or I guess it could backfire and they end up worse. Still, they deserve an @$$ kickin'. *sigh* Nevermind, God will get them.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: man, bunk the trainings

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
Drop 'em off in the hood. With their KKK gear on. I bet they won't do it no more. Let them see what hatred feels like when you're on the other side. I'm sure I'll get reamed for this. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that. But I'm talkin' rehab. That's rehab like a mug. Or I guess it could backfire and they end up worse. Still, they deserve an @$$ kickin'. *sigh* Nevermind, God will get them.
I say leave them in a room with Ideal08, AKA2D, Original Ape and myself and see what happens

Sphinxpoet
Old 11-06-2001, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Exquisite5
Angry

I am not sure if this was mentioned in the original post on the other gc page, I only skimmed it since I'd received an email on this. But if it was not , I also want to point out that these young men, also in black face dressed up as members of Omega Psi Phi and mocked them. Some wore afros, others "doo rags"; some wore a "piece and chain" and knuckle ring.

Here is the link I received with the full story and pics.

http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_hate.jsp?id=319

I was incredibley appalled, and saddened. It is a shame, that one of the most poweful vessels we have for social change, a NPHC fraternity, is being mocked, and the very victim of racial ignorance.

Truly, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
shocked and appalled would about cover it I think.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 11-06-2001, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Exquisite5
I am not sure if this was mentioned in the original post on the other gc page, I only skimmed it since I'd received an email on this. But if it was not , I also want to point out that these young men, also in black face dressed up as members of Omega Psi Phi and mocked them. Some wore afros, others "doo rags"; some wore a "piece and chain" and knuckle ring.

Here is the link I received with the full story and pics.

http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_hate.jsp?id=319

I was incredibley appalled, and saddened. It is a shame, that one of the most poweful vessels we have for social change, a NPHC fraternity, is being mocked, and the very victim of racial ignorance.

Truly, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Just saw the pictures and only thing I can say is that it is not safe for those guys on campus or anywhere they may run into an Omega Man.....or for that matter any other member of the NPHC.

Sphinxpoet
Old 11-06-2001, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
Quote:
In another photo, fraternity members are wearing blackface, wigs and shirts with the letters of Omega Psi Phi, one of four predominantly black fraternities at Auburn.

I don't know any Ques that would stand for that
Old 11-06-2001, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sphinxpoet

Just saw the pictures and only thing I can say is that it is not safe for those guys on campus or anywhere they may run into an Omega Man.....or for that matter any other member of the NPHC.

Sphinxpoet
Basically.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Angry Unending

I just picked this up from the NPHC listserv:

From FoxNews
It seems that racism isn't just in Alabama.

Blackface Blackballed

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater placed sanctions on a fraternity that did a variety show at which a member appeared in blackface, reports The Associated Press.
The student put brown paint on his face as part of a skit based on old Nike commercials. He was trying to portray former NBA star Charles Barkley's appearance when he said, "I am not a role model."
About 50 students protested afterwards, so the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity was banned from participating in campus variety shows unless they apologize to the Black Student Union and must also participate in diversity programs.
The university is investigating other punishments, including the expulsion of the 70-student chapter from campus.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Re: Unending

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
I just picked this up from the NPHC listserv:

The university is investigating other punishments, including the expulsion of the 70-student chapter from campus.
Their national headquarters should expel them from the fraternity!
Old 11-06-2001, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Unending

Quote:
Originally posted by AKAtude

Their national headquarters should expel them from the fraternity!
That's right! National headquarters usually don't play around. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't all in Auburn or Whitewater now.

Oh, yes...there will be retaliation. It may not be right, but there will be. The Omegas I know don't mess around either.