GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,929
0 members and 2,929 guests
No Members online

Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Where the HELL were the advisors?
To piggy back on this, don't most universities have some sort of oversight on recruitment events and or general social events?

This may have changed, but at Kentucky (for example), any campus wide social event or recruitment event – both formal and informal - was to be registered ** with and receive approval from Fraternity and Soririty Affairs (i.e. Greek Life office). The official event notice would include any “theme”, who were to be the guests ("open" event versus invite/guest list), location, etc. Thus “in theory”, anything that was considered “questionable” would not be approved. Also, a chapter could get into trouble if they varied from their official notice. In other words, no bait and switch.

As such, any recruitment event would have to be approved. Since formal recruitment was run by the Campus Panhellenic, the CPC would have the responsibility for oversight (approval of recruitment events) of formal recruitment with the Fraternity and Soririty Affairs office having oversight of the CPC. I'm not sure how this works with COR, but if it was an "event", then it was to be registered. Also, I don’t think this applies to mixers or formals since they are not “open” per say.

** I want to point out that another good benefit of registering events is that there is little to no conflict between GLO’s philanthropy events.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That's the point. Although, they should be allowed to bid up to total, whatever total is, instead of being limited to 30 people.

As with most things, if the student body at large finds these actions repugnant, it will show in their recruiting. If the student body doesn't give a crap or approves, it might actually up their numbers after they get off probation by giving them an "outlaw" reputation. In other words, these sanctions don't always work the way the university or GLO thinks they will.
I think a lot of that depends on the popularity of the chapter. Traditionally strong chapters have a better chance of exiting the situation in a good position. I agree, though, that students are not always deterred by these sanctions. A weaker chapter would likely not benefit from an outlaw reputation. I don't know this chapter's situation, but it will be tough to exit probation gracefully.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I think a lot of that depends on the popularity of the chapter. Traditionally strong chapters have a better chance of exiting the situation in a good position.
Yep. There are chapters who can fall in a pile of poo and come out smelling like roses. (Much like people in general, of course)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I think it would be more appropriate for the chapter to have social sanctions, the exception being events that support their philanthropy, as well as sensitivity/diversity training.
Except we all know that social sanctions are easily skirted and that sensitivity/diversity training is rarely taken seriously.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
To piggy back on this, don't most universities have some sort of oversight on recruitment events and or general social events?

This may have changed, but at Kentucky (for example), any campus wide social event or recruitment event – both formal and informal - was to be registered ** with and receive approval from Fraternity and Soririty Affairs (i.e. Greek Life office). The official event notice would include any “theme”, who were to be the guests ("open" event versus invite/guest list), location, etc. Thus “in theory”, anything that was considered “questionable” would not be approved. Also, a chapter could get into trouble if they varied from their official notice. In other words, no bait and switch.

As such, any recruitment event would have to be approved. Since formal recruitment was run by the Campus Panhellenic, the CPC would have the responsibility for oversight (approval of recruitment events) of formal recruitment with the Fraternity and Soririty Affairs office having oversight of the CPC. I'm not sure how this works with COR, but if it was an "event", then it was to be registered. Also, I don’t think this applies to mixers or formals since they are not “open” per say.

** I want to point out that another good benefit of registering events is that there is little to no conflict between GLO’s philanthropy events.

The article isn't 100% clear, but I get the impression that the event was not a a recruitment event- in the sense of meeting PNMs, but more a pre-recruitment workshop for the current members- skit rehearsal, conversation practice, etc. and dinner would be served (in this case, tacos) which sort of took off on a life of its own.

"On Aug. 19, the sorority held the event as part of its recruitment week training, according to the university’s administrative review. Ninety-three percent of the sorority members attended the event, and of those, 90 percent came in costume."
Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to redryder27
since cal state fullerton is a school of 40,000 students and a commuter school, i feel like it's going just to be a slap on the wrist. i attended cal state fullerton and sorority recruitment isn't that big of a deal. but when i did see the csuf panhellenic instagram, alpha delta pi wasn't included on the list of chapters being included in formal recruitment. also, this was probably in polish week, because recruitment starts this weekend. WOW, perfect timing for this to come out...
Old 09-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Except we all know that social sanctions are easily skirted and that sensitivity/diversity training is rarely taken seriously.
I didn't know that. Where have you heard about social sanctions being ignored?

If they disobey, then there should be a more severe penalty. I hope that the point would be for the members to learn from their collective mistake, not to prevent the chapter from being viable. If the point was to make it difficult for chapter viabilitym then they should just shut the chapter down.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-15-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder27 View Post
since cal state fullerton is a school of 40,000 students and a commuter school, i feel like it's going just to be a slap on the wrist. i attended cal state fullerton and sorority recruitment isn't that big of a deal. but when i did see the csuf panhellenic instagram, alpha delta pi wasn't included on the list of chapters being included in formal recruitment. also, this was probably in polish week, because recruitment starts this weekend. WOW, perfect timing for this to come out...
I did it again. When I see "polish week", I read it as having to do with the culture relating to Poles and or Poland. So for a split second, I couldn’t figure out why they had a "Taco Tuesday" event during "Polish (the country/culture) week" amd agreed the timing was odd.

Yes, reading is fundamental.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I didn't know that. Where have you heard about social sanctions being ignored?

If they disobey, then there should be a more severe penalty. I hope that the point would be for the members to learn from their collective mistake, not to prevent the chapter from being viable. If the point was to make it difficult for chapter viabilitym then they should just shut the chapter down.
Events on a registered social calendar aren't the only social events that happen. That has been true since the dawn of time.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoProud2BeAnAlphaXi View Post
The MOI guides and binds the NPC member groups and the Panhellenic councils they form. As I understand it, these sanctions are coming straight from the University, and forbidding recruitment is something they can do and certainly DO do from time to time.
These “forbidding recruitment” sanctions (as do most of the other sanctions) seem more in line with sanctions that may be given to an IFC chapter. The chapter is still allowed to operate, yet many of the social aspects may be limited for a certain time.

Since the chapter may be allowed to COB 30 members next spring, I wonder if any PNMs drop out of formal this fall to pursue one of the 30 spots in the spring.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post

Back when I worked for SDSU, I was Faculty Adviser to two sororities and a fraternity. Any event that was being held on campus, which was not already part of an Office of Greek Life program, had to be approved by me. So, while I didn't need to approve things like recruitment, Greek Week or tabling at new student orientation, the chapters did have to consult with me regarding fundraisers and other on-campus events.

For example, one sorority came to me for approval for their philanthropy which was a Cross-Fit style competition. I was concerned about the nature of the event and asked many questions about how it would be set-up, the equipment being used, the guest list, the no-alcohol policy, who would be leading the events, and what kind of first aid plan they had in place in case anyone became injured. Once I was satisfied with their answers, I signed off on it. Had they not been able to address my concerns in a satisfactory manner, or if they had come up with some inappropriate theme or activity, I would have not signed it and told them to bring the forms back once the issues were fixed.

True and Constant
Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

Where the HELL were the advisors?
You'd be surprised...We have some chapters here whose closest alumnae live in another state (or any who live close aren't involved). They don't have advisors, except maybe someone from their headquarters who they talk to if there's a really pressing issue.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
You'd be surprised...We have some chapters here whose closest alumnae live in another state (or any who live close aren't involved). They don't have advisors, except maybe someone from their headquarters who they talk to if there's a really pressing issue.
My alma mater and organization both required a faculty/staff advisor in addition to the alumni advisor. That meant someone was around to review things even if the alumni advisor was far away.

I thought this was pretty common practice.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
My alma mater and organization both required a faculty/staff advisor in addition to the alumni advisor. That meant someone was around to review things even if the alumni advisor was far away.

I thought this was pretty common practice.
I think it is pretty common practice, but from what I have heard, at least 2 organizations don't have that (or haven't in the past). I know there are no faculty or staff advisors, per se. It's hard to get faculty or staff here to even admit they are/were members of Greek organizations; it's looked down upon.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

It's unfortunate that there is any punishment being sought by the school at all. Teach these young people that their conduct is offensive to some (they probably are not aware of this) and that going through life trying to be a decent human being is the best way to do it.

Actual punishment of this sort? It's just going overboard. I really have a problem with schools disciplining groups for behavior they deem offensive. Dangerous activities? Sure. Hazing? Sure. Just offensive? I'm going to have to say no. College should be a place where you should feel free to express yourself and do a few stupid things where you can learn where these boundaries exist.

Love the thread title though, this forum could probably see every thread start with that title.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma