GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,352
2 members and 1,350 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

How long do I have to register and send in my recommendations?

Hi! I am planning on rushing as a second year freshman in the fall (I had to take a semester off for family reasons) and was wondering how late I have to send in my recommendations and register. I am taking term A and term B summer classes to raise my GPA, and I want to be able to send in my final recommendations and register if that's possible as late as I possibly can so I can include my new GPA. If my rush week is August 12th and I finish summer classes July 26th, would I be able to have my new GPA added in so that it's in consideration instead of the previous one? And when people are filling out my recommendations, would it be okay for them to write my GPA but say "And is currently taking summer term B classes and will most likely end with a x.x GPA"? I'm able to start registering next month for rush, by the way. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Do not count unhatched chickens. There is no such thing as "most likely" when it comes to projecting a GPA; there are way too many variables. We have already had this discussion with you.

Your Greek Life Office is best source for answer re: deadline for registering for recruitment. Do not miss that deadline.

Get recommendations in as soon as registration opens, is my suggestion.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsu View Post
Hi! I am planning on rushing as a second year freshman in the fall (I had to take a semester off for family reasons) and was wondering how late I have to send in my recommendations and register. I am taking term A and term B summer classes to raise my GPA, and I want to be able to send in my final recommendations and register if that's possible as late as I possibly can so I can include my new GPA. If my rush week is August 12th and I finish summer classes July 26th, would I be able to have my new GPA added in so that it's in consideration instead of the previous one? And when people are filling out my recommendations, would it be okay for them to write my GPA but say "And is currently taking summer term B classes and will most likely end with a x.x GPA"? I'm able to start registering next month for rush, by the way. Thank you!
AZTheta... thanks for the link to the prior conversation!

to the OP: Tsk tsk tsk tsk... you delete all of your prior posts and expect us to just forget? Nope, we don't play like that here.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

You need to talk to the office of Greek Life. They may have a final deadline to register and you must abide by that deadline. Once you register, they will verify your GPA and (confirm this with them!) likely update if necessary to include your most recent GPA to send to the sororities. At the very least they will use your GPA after spring semester grades come out.

You don't know when summer grades will be posted. There are two weeks between the last day of class and the first day of recruitment. If you want to get recommendations, you simply cannot give your recommenders a two week window to mail your recommendations and hope that they abide by that deadline and they are received before the start of recruitment. They have lives, too, and that's really cutting it close. You also need to give the sororities an opportunity to receive the recommendation and process it before the start of recruitment. Shoot to get those mailed in by early July.

Good luck with recruitment.

ETA: And stop trying to calculate or count on a future GPA. Shoot for straight A's every semester-- as you will need them to get into vet school. At worst, plan on your post-spring cum GPA being the one considered; at best it will be the post-summer cum GPA. And don't ask your recommenders to discuss grades by simply speculating on what might be. They might state extenuating circumstances or demonstrate how your grades in high school were better and it took you some time to get adjusted to college and you're now on an upward trend or something.

Last edited by adpiucf; 03-20-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi! I am planning on rushing as a second year freshman in the fall (I had to take a semester off for family reasons) and was wondering how late I have to send in my recommendations and register. I am taking term A and term B summer classes to raise my GPA, and I want to be able to send in my final recommendations and register if that's possible as late as I possibly can so I can include my new GPA.

>>What if your GPA doesn't go up? Based on your previous GPA history, what are you going to do differently to earn better grades? I can guarantee that the whole "I'll have a 3.x if I get all As in my next 20 classes" crazy delusional calculation thing usually doesn't works out. Unless you are making some huge changes in your life, how can you know with any certainty that you'll be able to earn the best possible grades in every class moving forward?

If my rush week is August 12th and I finish summer classes July 26th, would I be able to have my new GPA added in so that it's in consideration instead of the previous one?

>>Ask someone in Greek Life. At your school. Like, use your phone or visit them in person.

And when people are filling out my recommendations, would it be okay for them to write my GPA but say "And is currently taking summer term B classes and will most likely end with a x.x GPA"? I'm able to start registering next month for rush, by the way. Thank you!
I'm sorry, but do you seriously think that someone is going to write that on a recommendation?

Good gravy.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Dang. You are a little bit of a slow learner. I hope one of the things you will learn if you are lucky enough to get into a sorority is that the world does not rotate around you and it is unfair to expect others to go to extreme lengths to try to cover for mistakes you made.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I'm sorry, but do you seriously think that someone is going to write that on a recommendation?

Good gravy.
I have been making major life changes so getting straight As in my college classes won't be a problem. And yes, because the people writing me the recommendations are close family friends that I know very well.

Thank you all for your answers, I'll contact the school for more information.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

And YOU do not send recommendations to the sororities. Your nice ladies who are taking time to do this for you will send them in. For a PNM to send a recommendation to a chapter is...creepy. It may very well be discarded - how does the chapter know you didn't fill it out yourself and sign somebody's name?

You can give your alumnae ladies the chapters' addresses, on a stamped, addressed envelope, to make it easy for them to drop in the mail...but do NOT do this yourself.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
And YOU do not send recommendations to the sororities. Your nice ladies who are taking time to do this for you will send them in. For a PNM to send a recommendation to a chapter is...creepy. It may very well be discarded - how does the chapter know you didn't fill it out yourself and sign somebody's name?

You can give your alumnae ladies the chapters' addresses, on a stamped, addressed envelope, to make it easy for them to drop in the mail...but do NOT do this yourself.
Oh no! I wasn't planning on that. I mean like, how long do I have to get my recommendations in meaning what should I tell the people writing me recommendations. Sorry for not elaborating!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

That's good, then.
If recruitment is in August, many chapters want them in hand by July 1 if at all possible.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have been making major life changes so getting straight As in my college classes won't be a problem. And yes, because the people writing me the recommendations are close family friends that I know very well.

Thank you all for your answers, I'll contact the school for more information.
Let me rephrase my question.

Do you really think that someone writing a recommendation is going to include the sentence ""And is currently taking summer term B classes and will most likely end with a x.x GPA"?

First, there's no way for you or anyone else to accurately predict your possible GPA after finishing this semester and taking a summer full of classes. You can plan seventy ways to Sunday to get an "A" in every class, but there is never a guarantee.

Second, it's not the responsibility of an alumna writing a recommendation to predict that your possible GPA after finishing this semester and taking a summer full of classes, even if you asked them to do so.

Lastly, if you're unsure of the best time to have your transcripts sent, ask someone (preferably a paid staff member, and preferably in person) in the Greek Life office.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Let me rephrase my question.

Do you really think that someone writing a recommendation is going to include the sentence ""And is currently taking summer term B classes and will most likely end with a x.x GPA"?

First, there's no way for you or anyone else to accurately predict your possible GPA after finishing this semester and taking a summer full of classes. You can plan seventy ways to Sunday to get an "A" in every class, but there is never a guarantee.

Second, it's not the responsibility of an alumna writing a recommendation to predict that your possible GPA after finishing this semester and taking a summer full of classes, even if you asked them to do so.
And me rephrase the question a little more, or come at it from a different angle.

It is appropriate to ask someone writing a recommendation (whether for sorority recruitment or any other reason) to say something like "I know that Agnes is taking her school work very seriously and has been working hard to improve her grades," if the person writing the recommendation does indeed know that and is comfortable saying so.

It is not appropriate to ask someone writing a recommendation to speculate as to what your grades will be. Indeed, asking someone to write something like that puts your recommendation writer in a very awkward position.