GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,262
2 members and 1,260 guests
acg233, naraht

Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I would definitely attend a veggies only wedding. But I'd be a bit skeptical of what the menu might look like and probably grab something to eat before just in case. If they were open with the menu before and I approved then maybe not.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I would definitely attend a veggies only wedding. But I'd be a bit skeptical of what the menu might look like and probably grab something to eat before just in case. If they were open with the menu before and I approved then maybe not.
I guess I should clarify, of course I'm going to go (I'm a reader) and eat. Never said I wasn't going or that I was protesting it or anything. That's silly.

I just wanted to know if anyone had been to a veg only wedding and what kinds of things were served. I know that if the venue has a good catering staff, the menu will probably be really good, but there are some places who just don't do vegetarian food well and serve things like overbaked pasta marinara.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-19-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
I've never heard of anyone having a moral conflict with vegetables?
I have no moral conflict with vegetables, but, because of my Crohn's Disease, there are few veggies that I can eat. Cooked and mashed squash,cooked carrots and peeled seedless cucumbers are pretty much it for me. If it has insoluble fiber, it makes me feel ill and keeps me in the restroom most of the night. That said, I'm an unusual case and if I knew it was a veggie wedding, I would eat something ahead of time. My mom was a partial vegetarian (no red meat or pork) and she often brought a peanut butter sandwich to events in case there was nothing she could eat. She ate chicken though, and there is almost always chicken at these things. Even for holidays though, if she thought the main dish was going to be ham or prime rib/roast, she would eat first or take a sandwich with her. Vegetarians are always having to work around other people's menus, so I think they are entitled to THEIR menu for THEIR wedding!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

My sister had a vegetarian wedding reception. Hers was not terribly formal - outdoors in the summer, and it was fairly small. Spanakopita was the main entree, a pasta bar, and those little Spinach things in puff pastry, plus some cheese quiches. No one expected anything else but vegetarian.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:01 PM

FYI: I do not have a moral conflict with veggies

I found out today that one of the cocktail hour h'ors d'oeuvres is supposed to be a gazpacho shooter. That seriously sounds amazing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anybody have any recommendations on fine china brands? I think we're liking the Noritake patterns the best, but I'm wondering which brand will last through the years.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:01 PM

Bed Bath & Beyond has some Wedgwood and Lenox stuff in nice patterns that are reasonably priced (depending on the design) and I'm sure it's pretty durable.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAgirl18 View Post
Does anybody have any recommendations on fine china brands? I think we're liking the Noritake patterns the best, but I'm wondering which brand will last through the years.

Oooooo! I'm a former Macy's Bridal registrar "elf"! Any fine bone china will wear like iron with proper care, so you should consider the longevity of the brand's patterns, and the ability to mix and match patterns. Some manufacturers seem to change their patterns more often than others - but in this day of Ebay a discontinued pattern is not a big problem. My pattern was discontinued in the 30s but I continue to add to it.

My first marriage china pattern was Wedgwood - but I inherited Lenox from my second mother-in-law, and I love the ease with which I can mix patterns. I also have a Lenox Christmas pattern - my serving pieces are just Lenox Ivory with gold trim. You can wash fine china in the dishwasher, but make sure it is NOT touching any other piece, and understand that the metal trim can soften - let it dry completely before taking it out, or you risk smearing it.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 12-19-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Oooooo! I'm a former Macy's Bridal registrar "elf"! Any fine bone china will wear like iron with proper care, so you should consider the longevity of the brand's patterns, and the ability to mix and match patterns. Some manufacturers seem to change their patterns more often than others - but in this day of Eba a discontinued pattern is not a big problem. My pattern was discontinued in the 30s but I continue to add to it.

My first marriage china pattern was Wedgwood - but I inherited Lenox from my second mother-in-law, and I love the ease with which I can mix patterns. I also have a Lenox Christmas pattern - my serving pieces are just Lenox Ivory with gold trim. You can wash fine china in the dishwasher, but make sure it is NOT touching any other piece, and understand that the metal trim can soften - let it dry completely before taking it out, or you risk smearing it.
We're registered at Macy's! We were looking at a platinum trimmed set, but after hearing about the smearing possibilities I'm not so sure. I'm impatient and hate waiting for things to completely dry out of the dishwasher. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You could also chose to wash it by hand.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
You could also chose to wash it by hand.
Haha.. I wash my dishes by hand first and then put them in the dishwasher. I'm sure now that I've admitted that I'm going to have environmentalists on my case about wasting water...especially in a drought prone city like Phoenix.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I've always heard that if you're only planning on one china pattern, go for something such as you suggested: plain white or ivory, with only a band of silver or gold. You can always spice things up with different dessert or salad plates.

I'm one of those whose china pattern was discontinued (literally the day after I bought it!), and I've managed to complete it through ebay. Many pieces, I was even able to get less expensive than the original prices!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I've always heard that if you're only planning on one china pattern, go for something such as you suggested: plain white or ivory, with only a band of silver or gold. You can always spice things up with different dessert or salad plates.

I'm one of those whose china pattern was discontinued (literally the day after I bought it!), and I've managed to complete it through ebay. Many pieces, I was even able to get less expensive than the original prices!
See, i really like the china with some color in it. My grandmother, aunt and mom all chose china that had some color accents, and it never clashed with anything. It's always beautiful! It seems like practically every china set out there now has platinum as the accent...to the point where it's getting boring. I personally wouldn't want my china to look like everyone else's, or to look like any ol' white plate, but that's me. As for brands, my grandmother's is Lenox and my mom's is Royal Daulton, and both have held up beautifully. I'm not sure what my aunt's is. They always hand wash their china...never dishwasher!

Oh, and most of the china patterns I see nowadays have an accent pattern for the salad or dessert plate.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I have ivory china with a gold band because I know how my tastes changed (even at 23 when I picked it) and that anything else I picked, I would probably hate 10 years later, let alone 30 or 50 years later!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
never heard of anyone having a moral conflict with vegetables?
You haven't met my brother-in-law! There isn't one vegetable he will eat.

We picked Lenox Opal Innocense. It is plain, but I wanted something that I could match with other things later. I didn't want to pick something trendy or too colorful that I would dislike later.

Last edited by pinkyphimu; 12-20-2008 at 12:10 PM.