GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,507
0 members and 2,507 guests
No Members online

Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who finds this ridiculous. I just don't get my friends sometimes. I'm the type of person who feels like if you have to finance something (and it's not a car/home), you can't afford it and shouldn't buy it.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-07-2008, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who finds this ridiculous. I just don't get my friends sometimes. I'm the type of person who feels like if you have to finance something (and it's not a car/home), you can't afford it and shouldn't buy it.
Are you one of those people who is the only smart person in their group of friends?

Screen your friends and always challenge them to do better, people, because if your friends are dumb that means you're dumb-in-denial.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Esp a DRESS ?!!! SERIOUSLY ?! I mean honestly there are GORGEOUS gowns out there that don't cost even over 500 sure (and not David's Bridal either), you may have to search a bit harder, and it may not be "THIS season's couture" but no matter what everyone will tell you you look fabulous anyway. At the rate she's going If this girl got her Tacori ring, her Lhuillier gown, and the million other things I'm sure she thinks she "has" to have they'll be 100 K in debt before they even spend a nano second thinking about where to live, which I'm sure in her mind is the grandest of palaces in only the most exclusive of neighborhoods ! poor disillunsioned girl, she watched too much platinum weddings !
Old 02-08-2008, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter650 View Post
Esp a DRESS ?!!! SERIOUSLY ?! I mean honestly there are GORGEOUS gowns out there that don't cost even over 500 sure (and not David's Bridal either), you may have to search a bit harder, and it may not be "THIS season's couture" but no matter what everyone will tell you you look fabulous anyway. At the rate she's going If this girl got her Tacori ring, her Lhuillier gown, and the million other things I'm sure she thinks she "has" to have they'll be 100 K in debt before they even spend a nano second thinking about where to live, which I'm sure in her mind is the grandest of palaces in only the most exclusive of neighborhoods ! poor disillunsioned girl, she watched too much platinum weddings !
I have a friend who told me that she wouldn't agree to marry a guy if he spent less than $20,000 on her ring and expected them to pay at least a million for their first home. She is still single. I wonder why.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter650 View Post
See and she thinks that if it's not a designer like Amsale, Lhuillier, Wang, Kleinfeld, etc. then it's cheap. I mean anything that is not a "top tier" bridal designer is cheap to her. What she doesn't realize is that only a certain percentage of women can affod those gowns.

Most people will agree that David's isn't the greatest place on Earth, so I didn't expect her to want to look there. But she won't even consider designers like Maggie Sottero, Mori Lee, etc. I think they have gorgeous gowns at reasonable prices. She says that "Maggies are for girls who don't have money but don't want to be totally cheap and go to David's." Whatever.

They're planning on moving to MI after the wedding and she's already unhappy with where they're looking for houses because the ones in their price range are "too small" and the neighborhood is "too urban." Well, when you're looking in the $60,000-$70,000 range, you're not exactly going to have 4 bedrooms 2 baths and a spacious study in a gated community.

I agree with most of you. She'll still be paying on the dress when they get divorced. Their expectations just don't match.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

"Maggies are for girls who don't have money but don't want to be totally cheap and go to David's." Whatever.

They're planning on moving to MI after the wedding and she's already unhappy with where they're looking for houses because the ones in their price range are "too small" and the neighborhood is "too urban." Well, when you're looking in the $60,000-$70,000 range, you're not exactly going to have 4 bedrooms 2 baths and a spacious study in a gated community.

OH and here I thought Maggies were for girls who " want quality fabrics and embilshments but were smart enough to realize, that while you want to look gorgeous on your wedding day, it is JUST 8 or so hours you'll be in the dress, most likely EVER, so what's the point in spending thousands on it." but then again... I'm going to be rockin' a Maggie on Sept. 6, and my ring isn't stamped "tacori" on the inside (although Tacori is the one "designer" ring i DO covet Tiffany's, Harry Winston, ehh not so much) , so I must "be cheap"

of course the housing market (although coming down a little) being what it is in CA, you have to weigh almost every major financial decision against the goal to own a home. Seems like your friend didn't really have a concept that she's like in the "real world" It's like she seems to think "this is how it should go" in her head, but she's not thinking of the "real world" limitations she may have, and accepting them. I mean yeah, dream big, but realize the limitations you have at the moment, and set goals to get to where you want to be.

Last edited by Glitter650; 02-08-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Maggies are for the smart girls, I'm with Glitter I haven't gone seriously trying on dresses (I'll admit I went to David's for fun only) but I know what's quality and what's not and what quality should cost and anything over 3 or 4 grand is outrageous to me. Yes, it's a dress that you will see for the rest of your life in your wedding photos but it's only one day of your life!!! That girl has some serious issues! I'd say, make sure the dress won't fall apart when it's altered, make sure it doesn't itch or make you feel weighed down or hot, and make sure it fits you correctly and you love it. Who cares what name is on the label - no one will see the label anyway, it's not like a t-shirt stamped with A&F on it or a Coach purse with all the Cs It's not like Vera Wang will have sewn her name down the side, lol!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm fairly snobby when it comes to clothes, and I have never thought of Maggie as a cheap brand.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I'm fairly snobby when it comes to clothes, and I have never thought of Maggie as a cheap brand.
I totally agree.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow I bought mine at David's and I thought what I paid was expensive. Yeah not as much as others...but still I LOVED my dress and found no others that compared to it.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

"Too urban"=too many black people. I'm just saying.

Also, what does she seriously expect, that at 25 you'd be financially ready to move into the house you'd ideally raise your kids in?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

Also, what does she seriously expect, that at 25 you'd be financially ready to move into the house you'd ideally raise your kids in?
LOL to both of those comments. Me and J just bought a condo/townhouse and we both know it's temporary, but you gotta start somewhere! Geez!
Old 02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
See and she thinks that if it's not a designer like Amsale, Lhuillier, Wang, Kleinfeld, etc. then it's cheap. I mean anything that is not a "top tier" bridal designer is cheap to her. What she doesn't realize is that only a certain percentage of women can affod those gowns.

Most people will agree that David's isn't the greatest place on Earth, so I didn't expect her to want to look there. But she won't even consider designers like Maggie Sottero, Mori Lee, etc. I think they have gorgeous gowns at reasonable prices. She says that "Maggies are for girls who don't have money but don't want to be totally cheap and go to David's." Whatever.

I agree with most of you. She'll still be paying on the dress when they get divorced. Their expectations just don't match.

Wow.

If she's FINANCING her wedding, and it's going to take 5 years to pay off the dress alone, maybe she should consider renting for awhile... at least a few years, until they can save up enough for a decent down payment on a house...

I didn't know you could still buy a house for $60-70K.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
Wow.

If she's FINANCING her wedding, and it's going to take 5 years to pay off the dress alone, maybe she should consider renting for awhile... at least a few years, until they can save up enough for a decent down payment on a house...

I didn't know you could still buy a house for $60-70K.
Sure you can, at least where I live, but they're usually in "transitional" neighborhoods, and they're usually not much over 1000 SF. My 1176 SF condo was $92k
Old 02-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post

She wants to live in a gated community, so anything that doesn't involve a gate and security guard to get in is "too urban" by her standards.

Yes, she's 24 and lives in the kind of fantasy land that most of us left when we graduated HS. I don't get it. And it's not like she's from a well-off family that has conditioned her to expect such things. Her mom is a teacher and her dad has been retired for some time.

Lakers Nation.