GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you really going to fight me on this through a message board? Because I really don't have time for this. If you'd like to go in to the city yourself, go right ahead. I have quite a bit of a thing called life I'd like to live, and finals are far more important than some petty argument with someone online.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyAO View Post
Are you really going to fight me on this through a message board? Because I really don't have time for this. If you'd like to go in to the city yourself, go right ahead. I have quite a bit of a thing called life I'd like to live, and finals are far more important than some petty argument with someone online.
My hat's off to you.

And this isn't a "fight", dear. No need to get pissy because someone asked you to cite your source and you can't provide it.

If you bothered to read the thread, you'll see that you're not the first one to pull something out of your ass not be able to back it up. You're probably not going to be the last, either.

So if Lowell, MA zoning laws were really created to prevent women whores from living together, I'm really curious to see the documentation for that.

Welcome to GreekChat.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, thank you for your welcome here.

I'm sure that the original paperwork on those zoning laws are buried under years of other needless laws, again, MA is well known for the history, and laws around here are pretty historic.

However, there is no need to call my reaction "pissy", and lastly, do not make the assumption that I pulled my comment "out of my ass", because I did not. My lack of documentation is primarily due to the fact that I don't work in Lowell City Hall and would rather not spend my time digging through the red tape to extinguish the blue laws of my City.

But you can have at it if you'd like. I would also like to read their exact wording on the matter.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Well, I know UMass Lowell doesn't have any sorority houses near campus, but its definitely because of the city's law against it. It was written about in the campus paper back in September. it isn't technically a "brothel law", but is referred to as such.
Too bad there is nothing in online edition of the paper THe UML Conncector for that Sept-Nov that backs your claim. But, after you're done being busy with finals, perhaps you could get the print edition of the paper and scan it for us? I'd be very interested in knowing. You see, I have a personal interest in this as I have family in Lowell who rent buildings they own. I would want to inform them right away to make sure they aren't breaking the law.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

My friend down the hall actually had (it was about 2 months ago, I'd be ecstatic if she still has it) a copy of that edition. It even quoted one of my friends and showed a picture of his fraternity's house.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

The paper only made one reference to a "brothel law", and it was only in relation to the sororities' lack of housing.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinChicaDDD View Post
Too bad there is nothing in online edition of the paper THe UML Conncector for that Sept-Nov that backs your claim. But, after you're done being busy with finals, perhaps you could get the print edition of the paper and scan it for us? I'd be very interested in knowing. You see, I have a personal interest in this as I have family in Lowell who rent buildings they own. I would want to inform them right away to make sure they aren't breaking the law.
OMG. Your family's running whorehouses?

We so can't be friends anymore.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
The paper only made one reference to a "brothel law", and it was only in relation to the sororities' lack of housing.
http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp

If you haven't already read it.

Quote:
Short and sweet, if any so-called "brothel laws" anywhere tie a building's classification as a bordello to the number of occupants, we've yet to find documentation that proves this.

Last edited by Unregistered-; 05-20-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Newspapers are not always very good about doing their research when writing about Greeks. If there is indeed a "brothel law" it should be an easy matter to call the appropriate city office and ask for the citation. You may even be able to do a search function on the city website.

As noted before, without specific written proof, experience teaches us that the odds are the city may have an ordinance specifying that there is a limit to the number of non-related people who can live in a home but that unless it is specific to women (which would, in this day and age, be quickly struck down, I think) it cannot be called a "brothel law". The newspaper was WRONG.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I did read it, but what I am talking about has nothing to do with sororities being "outlawed" on campus. My sorority is local, and not affiliated with the school. I'm talking about a generalized city law.

My university has housing with 8 girls living in one suite, and that itself debunks the "myth". At least for the implication described on snopes.com

for that, snopes is absolutely correct. but again, that's not what im referring to.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Newspapers can be wrong!
Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
OMG. Your family's running whorehouses?

We so can't be friends anymore.
I guess if you want to get technical, it would be the Boy's family. But understand. I wouldn't want your good name to be smutted by association with me.

I found it amusing the Massachusetts Law About Landlord and Tenant from the Mass Trial Court Law Library cited Snopes about this matter.

I thought Greek Life wasn't recognized by the school? I could be very wrong about that, and I apologize if I am.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Oh good lord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Welcome to GreekChat.
LOL.

Emmy, look through the pages in this thread. This exact conversation has been had numerous times. If you don't want to believe anyone here, how about an independent source like Snopes? The article is here: http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Snopes may have only addressed the idea of sororities being "outlawed", but the argument remains the same if you are talking about sorority housing being "outlawed" - it is not because of some non-existant "brothel law", but because of the campus administration or ZONING laws.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I understand that newspapers can be wrong, all I did is provide one other example of a so-called "brothel law" being mentioned in relation to sororities owning houses in the city, off campus.

Dear God, it's not the end of the world if we let this freaking drop. I'll get back to this in a day or so, I need to write a paper.

Have a good evening.