GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,302
0 members and 2,302 guests
No Members online

Old 10-31-2000, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Presidential Election

Ladies,

Now we all know how important these 2000 Elections are, seeing as though the next President will be in a position to make many decisions that will affect our lives for a long period of time. My question is two-fold, first, what are you doing, if anything, to encourage people to get out an vote and vote intelligently.....and second, how large of a role do you think the African-American community will play in determining the next President. Take care.....

PC
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2000, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TempleAlum1993
Arrow

Since voting is sooooooooooooooooo important; I thought I would bring this back up near the top.

I work with a service organization and for my part I made sure that folks who needed to be registered got applications and had them sent back before the deadline.

To answer the second questions, African Americans (or any other bloc) can only play a role if they VOTE!
Old 11-01-2000, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
If you don't vote, you don't count...so please shut the H up on Nov. 8 if you didn't bother to stop by your polling place on Nov. 7.

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited November 01, 2000).]
Old 11-02-2000, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Strong message Soror DG, but I guess that is what some of us need. Well personally, I have signed up to volunteer for Gore and Hillary ( i am a new Yorker and she is coming to my town :-) )
Anyway, they have not gotten back to me, but I have not stopped there - once returning from the AKA public policy conference; where they proved to me how important this election was - my sister and I started our own voter registration. But we started with family. We can talk about all the black folk we want that will not be voting but some of our own family members are the delinquent ones. So we registered all members of our family over the phone and by going to their house. I have sent out numerous e-mails about the facts to friends and family members; I have told people about the web sites to go and see who is on the slate in their part of town... and just now I am winding down, I actually want to work till then end because if we don't win I am going to feel so guilty, but I am worn out!!
Also I watched the debates so that I could argue the topics effectively. The LAST unturned stone is to take people the polls with me and if you are not in my area then I plan to make it to the polls early and then use my car as a shuttle bus. This, as you can see is very serious to me. I don't want to wake up crying the next morning because my life is about to be turned f*cking upside down by some JERKS!!!
Anyway questions? And if there are silent readers out there and you have questions or want to know where to go for the last bit of information e-mail me privately!!!
Old 11-02-2000, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay the site is www.vote-smart.org

Go to the Candidates issues and much more section ( i.e. the red button). Then you must enter your 9 digit zip code; don't worry if you don't know it, ENTER you full address and 5 digit zip it will give you the other 4 digits. Now enter ALL those digits and the site will return the candidates that will be on the ballot in your area. I would prefer you focus on the DEMOCRATS but I will not be in the voting box with you so focus on who you want - but be sure that you understand the fact that if republicans take over in congress AGAIN, we, as AFRICAN AMERICANS, or whatever they call us now-a-days will be in jeopardy for the next 20 years ..... I have facts on this if needed. Okay I am done here for now.

For some reason the site is a bit slow, I guess the time is coming .... if anyone has other important sites please list them
Old 11-02-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

One last thing - and if yall find it really offensive I don't mind if you delete it ...lol
Subject: How's That for Technology

An Israeli doctor said "medicine in my country is so advanced, we can take a kidney out of one person, put it in another, and have him looking for work in six weeks."
>
A German doctor said, "That's nothing! "In Germany we can take a lung out of one person, put it in another, and have him looking for work in four weeks."
>
A Russian doctor said, "In my country medicine is so advanced that we could take a half a heart from one person, put it in another and have them both looking for work in two weeks."
>
The American doctor, not to be outdone, said, "Hah! We are about to take an asshole out of Texas, put him in the White House and
half of the country will be looking for work the next day."
>

Make your statement in November!
Old 11-02-2000, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL! Sorry, I had to post! That's so funny!!!
Old 11-02-2000, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel0497
Wink

LOL!!!! That is so funny...that's why I can't understand why there are some delusional black folks out there who would actually vote for GWB...he is a straight idiot(coming from a resident of TX)!!!!!

------------------
Sassy, Classy, but never Trashy-The Ladies of Z Phi B!
Old 11-02-2000, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

My goodness......I agree with you whole-heartedly about GWB. Granted I am super biased, (I work on the Gore campaign)....but he just strikes me as a privleged good 'ole boy, without a clue! And to LadyAKA and anyone else, a lot of time campaigns don't get back to you even though they are in DIRE need of your help! This weekend is absolutely critical! If you want to help the Gore camp or any of the Democratic campaigns in your area....call you state's Coordinated Campaign and they will put you in touch with the people in your area! I only know the state # for FL (8502058683), but if you call (615)340-2000, they will hook you up with the folks in your area(or feel free to email me politicalcutie@hotmail.com ). Or if you don't want to do the partisan bit, call your local NAACP, they are doing a big GOTV push this weekend! I apologize for this being kinda long.....but as you can see this is really personal with me (I missed Homecoming and part of my senior year for this....so get out and vote and take 20 friends!)
Old 11-03-2000, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi SFs (and BFs),

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but the message is important. Anyone who hasn't heard the radio commercials by James Byrd's daughter should especially take the time to read this message about GWB. Below is a message forwarded to me by my cousin:

--------------------
In February 15th's edition of Stars and Stripes it talks about Bush' s reaction to the dragging death of James Byrd.

This man's family was pushing for a Hate Crime Law in Texas, and Bush made it clear that the bill was not to reach his desk. Even though he was the state governor at the time, he didn't even have the decency to acknowledge that such a horrific act wascommitted in his very own state.

Some very high profile individuals attended the funeral, and it was very inappropriate for the state governor to ignore this, and not attend.

When the victim's daughter, (4 months pregnant, bleeding, and on the verge of miscarriage) flew from Hawaii, to Texas for a long sought after meeting, Bush kept the meeting to 10 minutes.

He never shook her hand, offered her a tissue, a glass of water, or even sympathized with the family for what they've gone through. She asked him about the Hate Crimes Bill, and he admitted "he hadn't had time to review it". So she pulled a copy out and laid it on his desk. He didn't even pick it up.

Come on y'all, is this who we want leading our country?, or our ARMED FORCES???!!!!

Someone who regards Blacks as second class citizens, and doesn't even try to hide it? I want you all to think real hard about this one. And remember, NOT voting is the same as voting FOR him.

------------------
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.--Aristotle