GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,098
2 members and 1,096 guests
Sarak24034, zsamulpitt5293

Old 10-16-2015, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the tier nonsense at Ole Miss is exactly that….nonsense perpetuated by girls and alums with no/low self esteem and the desire to make others feel small in order to make themselves feel superior. It is hideous and an embarrassment. The National advisors attending are horrified at the timing of rush, (this year midterms). The fact Ole has to do this so PNMs won't leave when they are disappointed in their rush schedule is silly. Every year girls leave anyway. What rational parent would allow that? It goes against every academic mission in every sorority. Academics are the reason the students are there but take a complete backseat to rush during mid terms. Silly! It is so stressful for both the actives and the PNMs. Every single sorority at Ole Miss is filled with great, pretty girls who simply want to belong to a sorority. Most don't care about the tiers. Sorority means different things to different girls. Ole Miss is growing by leaps and bounds and filled with OOS beautiful, smart girls who are realizing tiers don't matter. They don't care. That ruffles a lot of feathers.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellastar1 View Post
Ole Miss is growing by leaps and bounds and filled with OOS beautiful, smart girls who are realizing tiers don't matter. They don't care. That ruffles a lot of feathers.
I suspect that this is a significant factor. An increasing number of OOS, or first generation Greek who don't know or care about tiers, accept bids gladly and live their lives, and that in turn, causes some to double down on the "bottom tier" nasty talk. How dare you wear your letters proudly?? Don't you know I'm better than you?

When I look at bid day pics I cannot tell them apart. Texas talk about my own org is infuriating when I know what stellar girls they bid, yet you would think they were habitually going down to the Greyhound Station to see who rolled in on the midnight coach.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

^HA! Best statement ever!^
Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Texas talk about my own org is infuriating when I know what stellar girls they bid, yet you would think they were habitually going down to the Greyhound Station to see who rolled in on the midnight coach.
HAHAHAHA! FSUZeta, you're right--this is classic!!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
HAHAHAHA! FSUZeta, you're right--this is classic!!
That was a classic statement because it touches on how ridiculous these "tier" systems really are. I help with a chapter and I always laugh at how people wouldn't want to join what they perceive as the "lowest tier" organizations because (a.) as someone who attended two other universities for undergrad and grad school, I recognize that some of those "bottom" houses are actually "top" at other schools and (b.) the girls in these "bottom" houses are all beautiful. That's like going to Johns Hopkins and referring to the one sorority as the "stupid" chapter. It's dumb!
Old 10-17-2015, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
When I look at bid day pics I cannot tell them apart. Texas talk about my own org is infuriating when I know what stellar girls they bid, yet you would think they were habitually going down to the Greyhound Station to see who rolled in on the midnight coach.
Bwhahaha. This comment rules. Lol Alpha Xi gets the same treatment. We apparently also get our girls from the Greyhoind station.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissnewbie View Post
Horrible comments (from other girls who got bids from other houses as well as a couple of actives from other sororities) that she is in the "lowest" house on campus and blah, blah, blah....
I'm so sorry for your daughter, but this is so typical of some girls who just got to college and can't leave high school behind them. IF (and I mean IF) their were "rankings" and they went 1,2,3..... then the 2s want to be 1s and the 3s want to be 2s and so on and so on. The only happy ones are the ones who figure out that they are where they belong and that they are happy with their new sisters. It doesn't matter what sorority you are in, you will be unhappy until you figure this out.

I think it gets better though after a few weeks or months when the whole recruitment thing gets replaced by bigger things like well, grades.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
The hyper competitive environment and "tiers" that are practically carved in stone has not changed at Ole Miss in decades. It is really sad.
Tiers are for freshmen, sophomores, and mean/crazy mamas. In my work, I do not teach students until they are seniors, at which time they have chosen their profession (teaching elementary school) and are working hard and are very dedicated.

Sure, they still all wear their assorted sorority teeshirts and sweatshirts to class (they probably have no other casual clothing), but I can promise you, that at Ole Miss, once these young ladies are heading for graduation they are rock-solid adults who look beyond "letters."
Old 02-26-2016, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef831 View Post
I really feel encouraged she will get a bid this coming Sunday.
I'm glad things seem to be going well for your daughter, and I wish her the best in the process. You might want to consider editing your post, though. You've included enough identifying information that it wouldn't be too difficult for people on her campus to know who she is. It'd be a shame for her college experience to be negatively affected because of anything you've written here. Just my two cents.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to share that my daughter received a bid to join Kappa Alpha Theta - there were 3 other girls who also accepted bids...she was so very excited. Since this was not formal recruitment but COB the atmosphere was far more relaxed and it was such a pleasant experience for her. I could not be more excited for her. Such an accomplishment for her. She told me tonight that the recruiter is from Pensacola....and some of the girls she met are going there for spring break...well my oldest daughter lives there and she is going to visit her for spring break too. She has many friends in this sorority so I have to believe it's fate and is right where God wanted her. I am so happy for her. I know I have a lot to learn having virtually no experience with any daughters in sororities but I am so excited to learn. I know she will be in a sisterhood she will have for life and that's pretty exciting!!! The smiles say it ALL!! BTW, my girl is the blonde on the end!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by stef831; 03-01-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

stef831 - I am so happy for your daughter. Kappa Alpha Theta has a rich history and is a great organization. Enjoy every moment!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Stef831... CONGRATULATIONS to your daughter!!! I am an alumna of the Ole Miss Theta chapter. I hope she will treasure her membership in Epsilon Zeta, as I do!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all so very much!! She is very happy and elated and the group of girls are just wonderful and amazing. They have all been so incredibly sweet to her and the other girls. She is looking forward to all the many activities and since she is heavily committed to service and theta is also, it's a perfect fit for her!!
Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and your daughter! Having an excited, happy daughter is a wonderful feeling!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I realize this is last year's thread, but just wanted to comment on my experience walking through a hallway of the honors dorm at Ole Miss this year after recruitment. Yes it was held at mid terms again, making it extremely stressful on a number of levels. That said, it was a thrill to see all the different door decorations that were up. Kites pandas, Lions, keys, Tridelts, anchors, and green for the KDs, of course. I think every sorority was represented in the honors dorm this year and I feel that simply further supports your comments about all the houses being strong and Greek life itself at Ole Miss continues to thrive. I am happy to say I haven't heard anything about Greek girls being negative towards other sororities.