GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,409
0 members and 1,409 guests
No Members online

Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

HELP! Job - Type vs. Pay

I will be graduating in December (both exciting and scary, but to tell you the truth I don't really want to). My dad has told me that I am basically cut off financially from him, with the exception of health & car insurance.

I'm thinking of maybe going into student/academic affairs, yet I honestly have NO idea as I have never had an internship in those areas as an undergrad (they just don't offer them). I have worked with several programs that are under those departments, including freshman seminar programs, being a member of greek organization and working with our collegiate panhellenic council, working closely with advising sophomores, etc. I've tried to get as much experience as I possibly could. I already have an internship lined up to work with academic advisiors for a few months after graduation, but they are not sure if it is paid yet. I'm also not sure if I will be going to grad school or getting a job after that internship.

My question boils down to this. I possibly have 2 opportunities. The first one is working as a student assistant in the Admissions office at my school. I wouldn't be reviewing applications, but I would still be in the office and would get to experience that aspect of higher education. The pay is $8.00.

I have another opportunity to be a nanny. I absolutely ADORE kids; this is something I've done quite a bit and loved. The pay is $12-15.

Thinking about saving money this semester because I will be cut off really makes it difficult for me to choose the admissions job, especially because I'm not even sure if I want to go into higher education. Admissions is something that I really have wanted to experience as it reminds me a little of recruitment (I could be totally wrong).

Sorry for such the long post. Does anyone have any words of advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2012, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear LMK,

Because you have not done any internships in the field, I think it's imperative for you to take the admissions job. You at least need to rule out admissions as a potential career path. (I ruled it out because my friend/mentor knew my personality and said admissions is too corporate for my personality.)

More importantly, since you know you will be graduating (you are not being cut off, you are graduating and will be responsible for yourself like the majority of graduating seniors) you need to focus on getting a job in a city or town with opportunities and roommates.

You will not be making a lot of money. But you should me making enough to pay for your share of the rent and expenses. If possible, look for jobs in a university setting so that you can continue to determine whether student affairs is a path you seek. But know that ultimately, you will need a Masters in that field if you want competitive pay.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for such a quick response!

May I ask, do you work in higher education? If so, do you think it's better to get a job first and then get a Masters or go straight to graduate school?

I tend to agree with your response. After graduation, I have an internship working with academic advisors, yet, at this moment, they do not know if it will be paid or not. Unfortunately, I believe if it is an unpaid internship, I might not be able to do it.

I should have probably rephrased being "cut off" as you said so. It's just a bit scary, but I know many people that do it and have no problems. I guess it's because I honestly don't know what I will be doing after graduation.

I'm leaning towards getting a job at a university that will then eventually pay for my masters program, if this is the field I end up wanting to stay in.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeknow0210 View Post
Thank you for such a quick response!

May I ask, do you work in higher education? If so, do you think it's better to get a job first and then get a Masters or go straight to graduate school?

I tend to agree with your response. After graduation, I have an internship working with academic advisors, yet, at this moment, they do not know if it will be paid or not. Unfortunately, I believe if it is an unpaid internship, I might not be able to do it.

I should have probably rephrased being "cut off" as you said so. It's just a bit scary, but I know many people that do it and have no problems. I guess it's because I honestly don't know what I will be doing after graduation.

I'm leaning towards getting a job at a university that will then eventually pay for my masters program, if this is the field I end up wanting to stay in.
I don't work in higher ed. I used to work in the Development/Alumni office of my alma mater - it was my first job after graduation. So I can't give you a precise answer on whether you should get a job or the schooling first, but most of my acquaintances seem to have gotten at least a handful of years of higher ed job experience.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeknow0210 View Post
I work in higher ed (currently as faculty, previously in administrative roles) and the answer I would give you is that it depends on the school.

Some schools offer their faculty/staff discounted tuition (some undergrad only, others offer tuition discounts for graduate level work). If you could work on a Masters while you're working for the school, that would probably be ideal.

Like Senusret said, you'll need at least a Masters to be considered for many administrative positions, so if it's a field you're actually considering, going right to graduate school might be the best thing. Especially if you can find a school that offers graduate assistantships in that field.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I work in higher ed (currently as faculty, previously in administrative roles) and the answer I would give you is that it depends on the school.

Some schools offer their faculty/staff discounted tuition (some undergrad only, others offer tuition discounts for graduate level work). If you could work on a Masters while you're working for the school, that would probably be ideal.

Like Senusret said, you'll need at least a Masters to be considered for many administrative positions, so if it's a field you're actually considering, going right to graduate school might be the best thing. Especially if you can find a school that offers graduate assistantships in that field.
Both Senusret I and SydneyK make some great points! The reason I say this is because I would like to eventually go back and get a doctorate. Many schools (the ones I've looked into) have tuition reimbursement. If my one alma mater hired me to be an academic advisor--I would take it in a heartbeat. I would take it partly because I really want to do advising but, also because once you get into some of these schools to work, you have an easier time getting a job internally. My one school, where I would like to advise and someday teach, is great for movement internally which is why one of my friends started working as a custodian so when a job opens up that needs his education, he has a better chance at getting the job as an insider. If you can go for the less paying job at the university (which most likely has some decent benefits), then I say take the job at your school. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

You may need to take a part time job to make up the slack but getting started with your career now is better, especially if it will help pay for your continuing education. The thing is $8 is low, but $12-15 isn't exactly raking it in and keeps you from your goals, unless early childhood education is anywhere on your radar. Plus, chances are you'll get a lot more benefits from the school, like healthcare which in case you've been living under a rock is insanely expensive these days.

My first job out of college paid $5.50/hour and from that I had to pay rent, car and student loan (and everything else). And a LOT of macaroni and cheese. I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck.