GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,426
2 members and 1,424 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, naraht

Old 01-14-2004, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumnae/Alumni poll

Didn't see a thread like this. . .

Thought it'd be fun to see a poll of alumnae and alumni who frequent GC.

Post whatever of the following you wish to share:

-your GLO
-how long you've been a member
-how active an alum you've been
-why you come to GC
-what you still enjoy about your GLO/why you're active
-anything else you care to share

I'll post my info separately. . .
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2004, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alumna of Kappa Alpha Theta, and I've been a member for almost 14 years.

I've been active in my local alumnae chapter and have served as both a district officer and international VP (not currently).

I love the friendships (old and new) and the leadership opportunities and challenges that Theta continues to offer me. I also feel a strong desire to repay the efforts of the dedicated alumnae advisers who made my college chapter possible.

I enjoy GC - keeps me in the loop on Greek happenings around the Greek world and is a mostly positive place to celebrate and improve Greek life.

Next?
Old 01-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I'm an alumnus/member of Sigma Nu. Have been since the Fall of '99. I'm a founding member of my chapter -- badge # is Mu Tau 5.

Graduated last May. Proceeded to get the petition together that got our alumni chapter recognized by HQ. We're in the process of getting it going. I'm serving as Recorder and editing the chapter newsletter. We actually just sent out our bylaws for approval by email proxy and will be collecting our first round of alumni dues within the next few months.

I'm participating in my alumni chapter because I want to ensure the success and tradition that I helped start will be around for years to come. The alumni chapter will be there to give time, ideas and money to keep the active chapter a success as well as to basically keep us all together in the coming years.

GC was originally a place I came to in order to get ideas to help out my chapter. It's still that way. I get tons of useful info about what chapters of other GLO's are going through accross the country and how they are dealing with their issues. Pretty good stuff. And most of the folks here are good people.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 01-15-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alumnus of Alpha Sigma Phi; April 20 will mark 20 years of membership in the fraternity.

I was somewhat active a few years back when my chapter returned for a brief time at the University of Oklahoma but all I get today is the occasional call from a brother and the fraternity magazine.

Now if Alpha Sigma Phi national headquarters would consider expansion in Texas, I'd get back to being active again.

I've learned quite a bit on how Greek life is handled today on GC, compared to those days of yesteryear when I was an undergrad there are a lot more restrictions now than in the past.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-15-2004, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
your GLO: Pi Beta Phi

-how long you've been a member: Pledged September 78, Initiated February 79 so it'll be 25 years next month so I'll be a Silver Arrow Pi Phi!

VERY-- I've been active in local alum groups ever since I graduated, advised a chapter for 8 years then became a regional chapter advisor. I have served Pi Phi as a Director for 4 years.

-why you come to GC
I enjoy the discussions. Since I work with collegiate members, I believe it is important to hear what they are thinking, what is important to them.

I value the friendships I've made. I still get chills when I hear ritual (especially when it's done at our Conventions... having 1200 sisters singing and reciting the ritual is an unbelievable experience). I'm active because I had the benefit of some wonderful alumnae advisors when I was a collegiate and I felt it was important for me to give back what I'd been given as a student.

Maybe it's a cliche but strong chapters come from strong alumnae (but not overbearing). If I want Pi Phi to be around for my nieces/ nephews' children, then I need to work toward continued improvement.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:35 AM

Re: Alumnae/Alumni poll

I am a sister of Delta Zeta Sorority

I've been a member since 1985

I am currently a part of an alumna chapter and held an executive board position last year. I'd love to be more active, but the chapter is rather far from me

The people! It's nice to talk to other people who share my interests, regardless of age, etc. Also, it keeps me in touch with the "young folks"!

I love the ideals upon which Delta Zeta was founded, and I love my sisters in the alumna group.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi

I am an Alpha Delta Pi.

I joined my chapter through formal recruitment of Spring 2000, and graduated from my university in May of 2002.

I've maintained very active contacts with my chapter of initiation, and have flown cross-country to help out with recruitment in any way I can. I've joined a local alumnae association here in San Diego, and have indicated interest in serving as an advisor at some point in the future (either near or far )

I began coming to GC to learn about other organizations and meet other ADPi's from around the world, and have continued to come to GC because of the people I've been able to "meet" through my conversations and meetings in my local community.

I still enjoy that ADPi is a strong sisterhood that is committed to its ideals and thoughts that were started when our six founders first brought together the Adelphean Society, and I maintain my active participation in this organization because of how much being a part of this sisterhood has made me the person I am today (yes, in just four wonderful years...I'm looking forward to the next 50 years )

The memories I've made and the people I have met through my affiliation with Alpha Delta Pi mean more to me than almost anything in the world. I know that there are more than 100,000 women who have experienced the same ceremonies and ritual that I hold close to my heart, and I am proud of that tradition. The people who've shaped my life will always hold a special place in my heart, and in the rest of my life, no matter where I go, or what I do, I know that it all comes back to my involvement with Alpha Delta Pi.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a member of Alpha Theta Chi Sorority.

I joined in 1996 and became an alumna in December 2000.

I have been the Alumnae Association President since October 2002.

I used to come to GC to get ideas for rush events, mixers, etc. Now I come to GC because I'm addicted, lol.

I still enjoy meeting the new girls and sharing my experiences with them. I also love getting together with the older members and talking about the good old days.

Last edited by AOX81; 01-21-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

-your GLO: Alpha Gamma Delta
-how long you've been a member: It will be 20 years in April
-how active an alum you've been: I have been on House Association, an advisor or served on our Volunteer Services Team since the semester after I graduated, except for taking one year off in '99 to finish courses and change careers. I've been involved with one of the Alumnae Clubs for about 10 years.
-why you come to GC: I learn a lot about how things work in chapters of other sizes and geographic locations, and I enjoy the discussions!
-what you still enjoy about your GLO/why you're active: I enjoy the social aspect of the alumnae club and I enjoy helping AGD chapters strive to be the best that they can be. It's fun to be around young people.. I'm hoping it will help keep me young too! As a busy single/working full time mom, AGD is the thing I do for ME.

Dee
Old 01-15-2004, 08:30 AM

-your GLO
I'm an alumna of Alpha Omicron Pi

-how long you've been a member
I pledged in September 1983, and yesterday was the 20th anniversary of my initiation day!

Extremely active! At various times I've served as Chapter Adviser, Alumnae Chapter officer/member, and Corporation Board officer/member. I've also been involved with the reorganization of two different alumnae chapters and assisted with an extensive housing presentation for my collegiate chapter. Currently I'm serving as a local Corporation Board President and on an AOII Properties committee.

-why you come to GC
I enjoy chattering with others who enjoy greek life, networking with my sisters and having the opportunity to meet a couple of them, getting and sharing ideas (especially concerning collegiate chapter housing and Recruitment) and finding other alums who remain active. Unfortunately, we are the minority and I wish that wasn't the case!

I love AOII. Quite simply, I would never be where I am today without her--heck, I probably wouldn't have met my husband of 15+ years if I hadn't been an AOII (long story, PM me if you actually want to know ) I would not be able to stay as involved as I am without my husband's support, either.

I was lucky enough to see actively involved alums when I was a collegian--women with families, full time jobs, and involved on the local AND regional/international level. I really believe it's crucial for our alumnae/alumni to set this example, so today's collegians DO remain active alumnae/alumni members. I'm active because I can be, and that makes me happy. Of course, there were times when the kiddies were younger that I wasn't as involved, and that was okay too. One of the biggest joys for me as an alumna was being told by a former collegian that seeing my involvement inspired her to remain involved as an alumna.

GLO related--Even after all these years, nothing excites me more than Recruitment!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

-your GLO Alpha Delta Pi.

-how long you've been a member I've officially been an Alpha Delta Pi longer than I have not been an ADPi!

-how active an alum you've been Depends on the need. I've been active in our Alumnae Association, attend the Panhellenic Scholarship Luncheons, have served in two different Advisory positions, am on the Housing Corporation, and we're currently working on a *new* project, which excites me!

-why you come to GC It's easy to talk to others who treasure their sorority/fraternity experience!

-what you still enjoy about your GLO/why you're active If you ever read our Creed, then you understand why I believe in Alpha Delta Pi.

-anything else you care to share I'll reserve the option to finish this question at a later time!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My GLO: Alpha Xi Delta

Alumna since: May 11, 2002

Active as an alum: Well, let's see. I am an active member of my area Alumnae Association and am currently helping to get our new website started (hubby's the designer), and am trying to get involved with our area's Alumnae Panhellenic. I also am a member of the advisory board for one of the local chapters.

I came to GC: quite by accident! I was searching for something and a link took me to a threaded conversation that had my search term in it, and I was like, "Hmmmm...." I keep coming back 'cause I have learned so much already and it's great to get a perspective of how things are done differently around the country and in different orgs.

I still love my GLO because: I'm new to my area (or I was when I moved here) and didn't really know anyone, so joining my alumnae association has helped me to meet people and get out and be active. Also, being a member of the advisory board is great because I can still interact with collegians and I feel like I'm giving back to my sorority now that I'm able to.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:36 AM

your GLO
Zeta Tau Alpha

how long you've been a member
since fall 1999

how active an alum you've been
I've been an alum for a few months...but I'm not active

why you come to GC
talk to other greeks and see what greek life is like at their school

what you still enjoy about your GLO/why you're active
I love talking to my sisters and hanging out and having growing friendships with them
Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

-your GLO Kappa Delta
-how long you've been a member- Pledged eons ago.

-how active an alum you've been- Varies depending on where I am in my life. I was sort of active in an AA when I first got married because my now ex was doing his internist and this was something tht kept me busy when he was working. When I moved into my first home, I joined an AA as a way of meeting people in the area. We then moved to Albuquerque. There was no AA at that time, so I started one. When we returned back to CA, I was in a new job with a 2 yo so did not have time to do anything. I then got pregnant with a very sick baby, so even less time. When we moved to our current location, I was somewhat active until my husband left and I could not get to evening meetings with 2 tiny kids. Now they kids are grown (hoping daughter might go through rush in fall) so I have gotten active with the AA again. I help with our major philanthropy fundraising luncheon, and now getting more active within my own AA

-why you come to GC- Love to see the how much we all have in common while being so different. Great way to get new ideas to share with other members of KD who may not be on GC

-what you still enjoy about your GLO/why you're active Love the sisterhood. The community service is very important to me.

DaffyKD
Old 01-15-2004, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's posted so far - loving this thread.

Ain't it great that your involvement as an alum can ebb and flow as the other demands in your life change? I always try to let collegians know this, so they don't think alum involvement is an all-or-nothing proposition like the college chapter experience is.

Keep 'em coming...