GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,343
2 members and 1,341 guests
anatexaxd6741

Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Alleged Theft of Pallets (U of Central Arkansas, Sigma Phi Epsilon)

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2010-...-alleged-theft

Excerpts from the article about the incident and allegations:

April 16, 2010

By Courtney Spradlin

Seven members of a University of Central Arkansas fraternity were arrested early Friday morning for allegedly taking wooden pallets from a Conway business.

A Conway Police Department officer . . . observed several males loading empty pallets into pickups. When the officer questioned the males, they told him they were members of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity at the University of Central Arkansas, and they were taking the pallets for an upcoming bonfire and to construct a fence for an event . . . . . The officer made contact with a representative from Tiffany Industries, who told him the men had no authorization to come onto the property, or to take anything . . . . all seven were arrested and . . . cited for theft of property.

Thirty-two pallets were obtained from the suspects’ vehicles.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Being unbelievably close to this situation...

Conway PD are a bunch of liars.

And, Sig Ep won't see any bit of this although their nationals might cop one.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

From the -very- little bit that I can tell, it just seems like the Sig Eps just thought they were basically taking away trash. This seems unfair to me.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

No, generally, companies are paid a refund for the pallets they return.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
No, generally, companies are paid a refund for the pallets they return.
This is true.

But unlike the article says, the Tiffany Industries company went out of business awhile ago. The company spokesperson was never reached and the company had been sold to Nabholz Construction (which I believe is a Sig Ep alumni owned) there), and then resold to someone else? In effect, the owners who actually utilized the pallets are long gone.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-18-2010, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
This is true.

But unlike the article says, the Tiffany Industries company went out of business awhile ago. The company spokesperson was never reached and the company had been sold to Nabholz Construction (which I believe is a Sig Ep alumni owned) there), and then resold to someone else? In effect, the owners who actually utilized the pallets are long gone.
Were the men involved really Sig Ep's or is this some one who got caught and decided to place the blame on the fraternity?

DaffyKD
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
Were the men involved really Sig Ep's or is this some one who got caught and decided to place the blame on the fraternity?

DaffyKD
No, they were absolutely Sig Ep's (I saw them building the fence today). And yes, I suppose it's theft. But the headline made it seem to be a bigger deal than it actually was.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
And yes, I suppose it's theft. But the headline made it seem to be a bigger deal than it actually was.
Agree with you. It wasn't their property so they had no right to take it. However, most industries have to pay people to take away pallets so this is such a minor thing. It makes good news though.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Langox510x Send a message via Yahoo to Langox510x
I've taken those for fires many times. WTF??? It's no different then going into somebody elses trash and "stealing" that persons soda cans. To those who say the companies get money for retruning them, most companies really could give a care.