GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,533
2 members and 1,531 guests
MethrenLusia, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM

Article about Sigma Alpha Mu's colonization efforts at Alabama. They currently have 26 members.

http://cw.ua.edu/2012/04/02/sigma-al...rns-to-campus/

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a great example of a well-written press release that is newsworthy but also marketing. Others, take note.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 PM

Alpha Chi Omega has a page concerning their new colony at Arkansas. It gives information about the upcoming colonization.

IMO, the link does a great job emphasizing the closer chapters (OU, OSU, Missouri, Missouri State) and ties in the fact that AXO has chapters at many of the other SEC schools. Someone's done their homework/marketing research.

http://alphachiomega.org/index2.aspx?id=2775

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Harvard will be adding a 4th sorority:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...d-panhellenic/

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Not sure if this is news, but I saw on FB that Ole Miss will be open for expansion. With the new member class sizes as big as they are, this is good.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Can someone explain to me how it works at Harvard?

They don't recognize Greek life (so no university-recognition or sponsorship or support for sororities or Panhellenic). How can they expand? How do sororities (which typically require university recognition) work this?

I guess most of the sororities have taken the stance of "well, it's Harvard - we want to be there no matter what," but I curious if anyone knew how that all worked.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp
Everything takes place off campus. GLOs are not allowed even to post flyers with their organization name on Harvard property. The sororities/PHC rent space in local businesses and from all-male organizations that have off-campus property.

The university does not try to police what students do on facebook or with email, so that's how rush is advertised.
No - I understand that stuff. Disclosure: I went to graduate school at Harvard, so I am familiar with the restrictions, the final clubs, etc.

I meant, how does it work for the national groups? Every Panhellenic sorority I can think of requires university-recognition before they will colonize at a place. I guess what I am getting at is what do the national groups do given their own requirements in place. When I was there I had assumed that the sororities already at Harvard had been there for some time, dating back to when they would've/could've been possibly recognized (even in the Radcliffe days, perhaps). I didn't realize they were expanding or could even pursue expansion, given every sorority's requirements for university support/recognition/etc (at least from a risk management perspective too!).
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Santa Clara University in California is the same way regarding sorority recognition

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Violets View Post
No - I understand that stuff. Disclosure: I went to graduate school at Harvard, so I am familiar with the restrictions, the final clubs, etc.

I meant, how does it work for the national groups? Every Panhellenic sorority I can think of requires university-recognition before they will colonize at a place. I guess what I am getting at is what do the national groups do given their own requirements in place. When I was there I had assumed that the sororities already at Harvard had been there for some time, dating back to when they would've/could've been possibly recognized (even in the Radcliffe days, perhaps). I didn't realize they were expanding or could even pursue expansion, given every sorority's requirements for university support/recognition/etc (at least from a risk management perspective too!).
If I read the article in the Crimson right, it looks like the University doesn't "recognize" the sororities, but does meet with them each semester to make sure they are complying with Harvard's student handbook. Maybe that makes it okay from a risk management standpoint.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Harvard will be adding a 4th sorority:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...d-panhellenic/
I'd LOVE to see Alpha Phi pursue Harvard. We have collegiate chapters at Bentley, Boston, MIT, Tufts, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Presentations this week at FGCU for Phi Mu, Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Phi.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Not sure if this is news, but I saw on FB that Ole Miss will be open for expansion. With the new member class sizes as big as they are, this is good.
I would love to see ADPi present at Ole Miss - but only if they swear not to build another ultra-modern house, as opposite to a traditional style!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Presentations this week at FGCU for Phi Mu, Alpha Xi Delta and Alpha Phi.
Good luck to all groups presenting!
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
As is Brandeis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_gwyn View Post
Santa Clara University in California is the same way regarding sorority recognition
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I would love to see ADPi present at Ole Miss - but only if they swear not to build another ultra-modern house, as opposite to a traditional style!
Amen