GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,331
0 members and 2,331 guests
No Members online

Old 11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Serious answer: It's a shame that you consider that a serious question.
No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by When Doves Cry View Post
serious question: so is it weird for people to wear their letters once they've graduated?? i mean, once you initiate (and not drop), aren't you part of that sorority/fraternity forever?
Quote:

ps: i did do a search. they all said it was okay but it seemed like a no-no in this thread. that's why i asked.
Of course you can wear letters once you graduate, unless your sorority is different from any I've ever encountered.

However, after graduation you shouldn't say you "were" a member. If membership is not a life-long commitment, why would you want to wear letters?

The original poster was asking if she could still wear letters after she quit her sorority, that's why she was told 'no'.

To summarize:
No longer a member = no letters
Alumna/Alumnus = letters
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, as we tell newbies, do a GC search and school yourself.

And I'm really tempted to call When Doves Cry an idiot because she doesn't realize that Drolefille answered her question. She responded to Drolefille's answer with "so...people still do it...blah...."

So...yeah...there's a reason why When Doves Cry is a lurker but not a very observant one.
I think she was responding to me re: hijacking the thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixell View Post

The original poster was asking if she could still wear letters after she quit her sorority, that's why she was told 'no'.

To summarize:
No longer a member = no letters
Alumna/Alumnus = letters
yeah, i got that. let me tell you why i thought it was NOT okay to wear letters as an alum:

because DrPhil said:
That's even dumber than people who wear letters and say "I WAS one in college."

If you WERE one then why the hell are you wearing it? Find another raggedy old shirt to jog in.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I think she was responding to me re: hijacking the thread
Okay, the power of using the quote function.

In that case, I hope she read Drolefille's and pixell's posts and does a GC search for additional info.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
yeah, i got that. let me tell you why i thought it was NOT okay to wear letters as an alum:
You don't notice the past tense versus present tense?

I recommend reading GC for a while so you can learn some things.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You don't notice the past tense versus present tense?

I recommend reading GC for a while so you can learn some things.
No, thanks. I can learn elsewhere. I'm out.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, thanks. I can learn elsewhere. I'm out.
Flounce.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

because DrPhil said:
That's even dumber than people who wear letters and say "I WAS one in college."

If you WERE one then why the hell are you wearing it? Find another raggedy old shirt to jog in.
I believe DrPhil was expressing annoyance at people who consider their sorority or fraternity "just a college thing" but still want to show off in their letters.

To me it seems similar to the people who join a chapter and disappear right after initiation but make sure to wear shirts and carry bags everywhere.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixell View Post
I believe DrPhil was expressing annoyance at people who consider their sorority or fraternity "just a college thing" but still want to show off in their letters.
Yeah. Past tense versus present tense.

More importantly, that's a pretty common GC discussion and Drolefille answered her question. I don't know what else she expected beyond that. A full blown convo about it? Read the older GC threads or get your non-GC education that you claim to have access to---but have conveniently not used.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to assume she has me on ignore or something. Her loss. Hope she comes back and complains some more about how unhelpful GC is before stomping off again.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sometimes you can feel like you're not allowing yourself to grow up if you're over a certain age and wearing letters. A good friend of mine overcame it with an interesting phrase: "I was very active in Alpha Delta Pi for the past so many years, but now I'm just enjoying it." It establishes her as an alumna who isn't hung up on reliving her college days, but never denies her membership.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
"I was very active in Alpha Delta Pi for the past so many years, but now I'm just enjoying it." It establishes her as an alumna who isn't hung up on reliving her college days, but never denies her membership.
I don't understand how saying that establishes her as an alumna who isn't hung up on reliving her college days but never denies her membership. I guess I had to be there.

I love that the cultures for some GLOs are conducive to members being 100 years old and still blatantly wearing letters.

Last edited by DrPhil; 11-22-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Sometimes you can feel like you're not allowing yourself to grow up if you're over a certain age and wearing letters. A good friend of mine overcame it with an interesting phrase: "I was very active in Alpha Delta Pi for the past so many years, but now I'm just enjoying it." It establishes her as an alumna who isn't hung up on reliving her college days, but never denies her membership.
I like that way of saying it. I get weirded out by the people that have graduated but just can't seem to move on and therefore wear their jerseys with the collegians, show up to events constantly, etc. Being a collegian and being an alum aren't the same thing.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
I like that way of saying it. I get weirded out by the people that have graduated but just can't seem to move on and therefore wear their jerseys with the collegians, show up to events constantly, etc. Being a collegian and being an alum aren't the same thing.
I was with you until you said this (in bold).

This is where the Councils differ. It is nothing to see an active 96 year old member of a NPHC org still wearing letters, and is just as involved as a grad (alumnae member) as they were in undergrad.

In NPHC we are taught that membership is continuous over your life time.

In reference to When Dove's Cry's confusion - I think some people look at membership in terms of being financial.
financial = member
not financial = not a member

A lot of greeks are financial as undergrads, but may not be as a grad member due to new life expectations - family, home, cars, bills, paying off school loans. All of that seems to take precedent to greek org dues.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
I was with you until you said this (in bold).

This is where the Councils differ. It is nothing to see an active 96 year old member of a NPHC org still wearing letters, and is just as involved as a grad (alumnae member) as they were in undergrad.

In NPHC we are taught that membership is continuous over your life time.

In reference to When Dove's Cry's confusion - I think some people look at membership in terms of being financial.
financial = member
not financial = not a member

A lot of greeks are financial as undergrads, but may not be as a grad member due to new life expectations - family, home, cars, bills, paying off school loans. All of that seems to take precedent to greek org dues.
Agreed with all, but I think she meant that it's not necessarily appropriate for said 96-year-old member to jump into a strut line at Pajama Jam or show up to an undergrad's house party.