GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,355
0 members and 2,355 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Men, you never understand
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-11-2010, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
I still want to know what her jeans size has to do with her grades and getting into a sorority.
For some sororities, it's pretty damn important. She has a point.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 PM
aylagator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Men, you never understand
So true! Sure it's a little off from a typical introduction thread- but it makes the ensuing conversation that much better!

EDIT
I found this archive while searching about upperclassmen quotas: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/ar...p/t-96742.html

It sounds like, because I'm from a school with an upperclassman quota, I won't be cut purely for being a junior? Perhaps I am interpreting this wrong?

Last edited by aylagator; 07-11-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of it will depend on the university that you are going to as well. The more competative the Greek system the more likely you will be cut for ANY reason, and no one here or there will tell you why. The selection process is different for each group, and can be different for each chapter within a group. Remember to be geniune and friendly, and don't judge the groups until you get to know them. Back a million years ago when I was an active, I would advise girls to go through just to meet people. If you got a bid, great, if not, great. You could end up meeting a lot of friends and making contacts just through the experience.

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, but remember that getting into a sorority is not everything. It doesn't define you and shouldn't be a defining factor on your self worth either. If you get a bid or if you don't, get involved in other groups, too. Join a service organization or other clubs and meet people, Greek and Non-Greek. There is so much to the college experience, just remember that being Greek is only one part of the fraction!

And good luck! I hope you continue to post on this board.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

But...you went though that big exposition about all of this school credit you have and then end it with ...

"I've never let my size 16 jeans hold me back from doing anything else before, and I'm not going to let them start controlling my life now."

SERIOUSLY?

sigh.

If they aint feeding financing or fucking you why worry?
How is getting into a sorority and your size going to dictate your life?

I just don't get it.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 PM
aylagator

Daemon- I would have said the same thing if I had a disability. It's a part of who I am. It's not attractive to most people. You might think women don't care how other women look, but the sad truth is that they do. This is the biggest (haha- pun intended) thing holding me back from joining a sorority.

Summer- I love your advice. That is exactly how I'm looking at this, a chance to meet people. I've been living in the dorms this summer while completing a summer course and I've met barely anyone. Even if I don't get accepted into a sorority, I'm going to have a fun week getting to know a bunch of girls, who I can hopefully stay friends with after recruitment ends. =)
Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylagator View Post
Daemon- I would have said the same thing if I had a disability. It's a part of who I am. It's not attractive to most people. You might think women don't care how other women look, but the sad truth is that they do. This is the biggest (haha- pun intended) thing holding me back from joining a sorority.

Summer- I love your advice. That is exactly how I'm looking at this, a chance to meet people. I've been living in the dorms this summer while completing a summer course and I've met barely anyone. Even if I don't get accepted into a sorority, I'm going to have a fun week getting to know a bunch of girls, who I can hopefully stay friends with after recruitment ends. =)
But do YOU care how you look are you happy with you in the morning when you look in the mirror?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 PM
aylagator

I have horrible self esteem, so no. I wish I could say yes, I wish I could think I'm beautiful. But deep down I don't see myself that way. I know I have other redeeming qualities though, those are what keep me going. =)
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quite frankly...if you have horrible self esteem, then you need to see someone professional and not expect GC to help you work through it.

This is the last place you want to come to and drop your info like this and do not be surprised if others come behind me and tell you the same.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylagator View Post
It sounds like, because I'm from a school with an upperclassman quota, I won't be cut purely for being a junior? Perhaps I am interpreting this wrong?
You can still be cut for being a junior. All things being equal, chapters tend to prefer freshman because they will have more years available to devote to the chapter. Some chapters may elect to take only freshman pledge classes.

But having a separate quota for upperclassman does give you a better chance of getting a bid.

It's impossible to predict how your recruitment will go. Some juniors have dream recruitments. OTOH, don't be surprised if you hit a few more bumps in the recruitment road than your freshman compatriots. Just keep an open mind to all the chapters and enjoy your parties. Don't take the cuts personally. Just keep your chin up and keep at it. Everything will sort itself out in the end.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Your best asset in Recruitment is that you believe in who you are as a person and have faith and confidence in yourself. Self esteem is also important and comes along with these things. Just take the time until you take your first step into Recruitment making sure you are confident in yourself!

Hope that helps, I know it sounds silly, but it makes you a stronger woman.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Quite frankly...if you have horrible self esteem, then you need to see someone professional and not expect GC to help you work through it.

This is the last place you want to come to and drop your info like this and do not be surprised if others come behind me and tell you the same.
Assuming the poster is for real, and the OP seemed more than a bit 'canned' to me, she doesn't need you to refer her to counseling.

If she's aware of her own self-esteem issues, you can presume she's working through them on her own. She didn't actually ask us to work her through it.

Anyway, I just want to say that I think the OP's concerns are more related to the self-esteem unless her campus has a very specific sorority image. That happens, but it's not universal. But I think many of the PNMs here have a variety of concerns that relate more to their self-esteem than to reality. And, it's ok, you get through it.

Go through recruitment, enjoy yourself, see what happens.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread still stinks.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 AM
aylagator

Lol Daemon. I really don't have the energy or drive to fight an online battle. I have given you plenty of responses to your questions. I would prefer if you did not make negative comments about me or this thread anymore.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 AM

It also depends on whether "upperclassmen" means sophomores and up or juniors and up. At any rate, you shouldn't be of the mind that "class status won't matter because of the upperclass quota."