GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,330
3 members and 2,327 guests
Kevin, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I've never attended a general membership alumnae meeting at a home. That sounds like a bad idea, especially since graduate/alumni/alumnae chapters range in size from about 30-400 people with about 5-10% of the membership attending the meetings.

Committee and programming meetings at homes, sometimes if this is convenient for all attendees. I attended one this week.

ETA: OhMyCron: I hear that a lot and I think that's an excuse, and a poor one at that. Grown adults have figured out in their community service and religious institution experiences that even the smallest contribution can matter even if some people try to make them feel like it's not enough. I think people use this excuse because they themselves feel they aren't giving enough and are embarassed or they would rather pretend it's someone else's fault that they aren't contributing.
Yeah, the local alumnae group here would have 20-30 women tops but not all show up or are involved, and some do double duty as alumnae and collegiate chapter officers/advisors. The core group is less than 10 in town but overall is much larger. Since this is a rural area that makes sense but I can imagine in Boise or Seattle it is quite different. I can think of two metro areas where Gamma Phi Beta has more than one group (Seattle and Atlanta) because the members have mentioned it on GC. Granted Alpha Gam has alumnae chapters, alumnae clubs, and Junior Circle which operate differently and in the same areas, and women may be a member of all three. The Junior Circle has averaged about two to three women, but perhaps with the new programming we're rolling out the 5th years who are alumnae will be involved.

Also I need to clarify that when i said we paid alumna fees at Initiation these are alumnae fees related to the International organization to receive our magazine, and that local clubs, chapters, etc. are likely to have their own local dues for their own events and needs. These are paid separately and widely vary.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Also I need to clarify that when i said we paid alumna fees at Initiation these are alumnae fees related to the International organization to receive our magazine, and that local clubs, chapters, etc. are likely to have their own local dues for their own events and needs. These are paid separately and widely vary.
It's like being a member-at-large versus affiliating with an alumnae chapter.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Reasons I've heard over the years:
  • As a collegian the only time I ever saw an alum was at Homecoming, so the thought never occurred to me.
  • There isn't an active association where I live.
  • I don't know how to contact them.
  • I tried, but no one ever returned my calls/emails.
  • They've all known each other for years. What if they don't like me or I don't like them?
  • I'm intimidated to contact women I don't know.
  • They're all older/younger than I am, so we have nothing in common.
  • All they do is fund raise/community service work. It's no fun. Or vice versa, all they do is socialize and I want to do something for my community and/or GLO.
  • In college I was active in everything. Once I graduated I just wanted to take a break. Then came my job, marriage, kids, etc. Now I don't have any free time.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ Zillini summed up everything I've heard. Plus dissatisfaction over expensive dues/financial commitment.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't active for 10 years in med school/residency. There wasn't an alum chapter anywhere near me. As soon as I moved, I joined two alum chapters until I decided which worked best for me, volunteered as a collegiate adviser and started taking on positions in one of my alum chapters. Sometimes not being active really is for a legitimate reason. I'm just glad I have so many opportunities to give back now.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII Angel took my answer!

I really wish I could be active, but with med school, it just isn't possible. I pay my alumna dues though, and try to make it to my chapter's philanthropy events since I am still in the area. I would love to serve on the House Board one day, but that's not going to happen for another 8-10 years.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Almost forgot the classic:

Too much drama, internal politics, cattiness, ...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=VandalSquirrel;1881843
Also I need to clarify that when i said we paid alumna fees at Initiation these are alumnae fees related to the International organization to receive our magazine, and that local clubs, chapters, etc. are likely to have their own local dues for their own events and needs. These are paid separately and widely vary.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I paid my alumna fees as an undergrad too, but then AOII changed to "Life Loyal"- and the company that runs it, and somehow those fees no longer matter.

Yes, I am bitter, and I think Life Loyal is partially a scam by the company that sold it to the different GLOs.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-07-2010, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Another big one is having events that you can- and want to attend. Even if the group is historically primarily one age group or only has interests in XYZ, don't have events that exclude others. In 4+ years I have not been able to attend a single business meeting because they last 3-4 hours (including business, lunch, and chit chat) and are in the middle of the workday. That excludes anyone who works during the day, and thus excludes a major age group. Same for other types of events... be sure that you have a wide variety that will appeal to many people. Dinner club, book club, moms, bridge, walking, etc. Variety is a good thing for everyone.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Yeah, I paid my alumna fees as an undergrad too, but then AOII changed to "Life Loyal"- and the company that runs it, and somehow those fees no longer matter.

Yes, I am bitter, and I think Life Loyal is partially a scam by the company that sold it to the different GLOs.
I didn't realize it was a company and not an in house thing. I figured "Life Loyal" was making a donation and you get special perks at Convention or trinket items. I know when my life insurance was going to Alpha Gam as part of the Corinthian Society (I changed it to go to my aunt as her cancer medicine is something like $4,000 a month, ridiculous! and if I get hit by a tractor my family would want to help her out anyway) that there was a special designation as other donors have gone to a special meal at Convention and what not.

I'm somewhat torn as I like that I know I'll always receive The Quarterly even though we're going the electronic route, but I do realize we are businesses who need cash to operate. However I also believe that the money from my wealthier sisters who donate supports me and others in ways that will enable us to earn more money and we will be those bigger donors in the future.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I contacted a local alumnae chapter when I moved back home to go to a CC closer to my family and save money, but after the initial "We got your e-mail, we'll certainly let you know what we have happening!" message, I never heard back from them.

At this point though, 10 months later, I'm not really looking to try a second attempt at contacting that chapter and becoming involved since I could very well be moving out of state next summer.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel very fortunate after reading some responses here. I took time off from being a part of my alum group as I have an intense career coupled with three very small children close in age. I still paid dues, but I just could not make it work for a while.

Sure, when I went back the first time it was a bit awkward for 30 minutes, but I was welcomed with open arms. I was the youngest one there and they couldn't have been more happy to have me there. It is tough to walk into a new group when you do not know anyone, but if you are open and have a desire to build new relationships it will happen. I can't tell you how many times each sister told me to keep coming and be patient. They really made me feel like a part of the group immediately.

We have one outdoor kick off each year in which we bring our hubands, boyfriends or a good friend and then the first meeting is also a kick off once again in the president's home (so I guess you could say we have a double kick off!). She does a super job and it is all about fun and friendships. This year involved an amazing dinner in which each of us helped prepare parts of it while she explained to all what we were doing. I could go on and on about what an amazing job she did, but I won't.

We meet the next few times at various restaurants chosen by all members in a vote. Then, we move back to a home meeting. We just vary it a bit and really have a lot of fun. I do encourage everyone to give their group a try!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I just don't really see a reason to be active in the local alum chapter. I see all of my friends from the sorority anyway, so why pay additional money to socialize with them?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I just don't really see a reason to be active in the local alum chapter. I see all of my friends from the sorority anyway, so why pay additional money to socialize with them?
Do you and your buddies do community service, programs and initiatives, assist collegiates, and attend conventions together, too?

Most alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters are much more than ways to socialize with your friends. I know that some alum chapters only get together to hang out but people can change that if they want their alum chapters to actually do something significant.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Do you and your buddies do community service, programs and initiatives, assist collegiates, and attend conventions together, too?

Most alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters are much more than ways to socialize with your friends. I know that some alum chapters only get together to hang out but people can change that if they want their alum chapters to actually do something significant.
Well, my point is that the local chapter isn't offering those things, so it doesn't appeal to me much.