GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,260
1 members and 1,259 guests
Titchou

Old 01-16-2003, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Is God a HERO?

I am grading these essays that my students wrote. The topic is "Heroes At Large." They were told to identify heroes in their lives, what makes them heroic, etc.

My question is: Is God a hero?

Several of my students have identified God as their hero. Here's my thing, yes God is a supreme being who SAVES us from wrong, helps us, etc. But is HERO the right title? Can HE be a Hero? Hero seems like such a BLAND, nondescript, generic word to call God.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-16-2003, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I definetly think he can be a hero. Isn't it better that children look up to GOD to try to emulate him them some rapper or basketballstar. I think its beautiful, that they would think of GOD as their hero, of course he is more than that but can anyone began to describe the glrory of GOD??? Give dem kids an A for effort!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

No. To me a hero is someone you look up to and try to emulate. It's impossible to try to model yourself after God or try to accomplish what he has.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER
It's impossible to try to model yourself after God
I thought that's what being "Christ-like" was?

I don't know that I would use the word "hero" to describe God. That's just me. Only because He is not a "person." God is bigger than a hero.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
I thought that's what being "Christ-like" was?
I've always been taught that God and Jesus Christ are two separate beings. God, being the Father, created everything and Jesus is the saviour sent to earth as the perfect man.

So if God created the Heavens and Earth and all that stuff, His works are pretty much matchless. His lead is pretty hard to follow That's why I don't know if "Hero" is the right word I would use. I think Jesus Christ could be a Hero because he wasn't just a spiritual being, but he also lived as a man. People try to model themselves after him by being kind, giving, temperate, etc...Christ-like.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to korkscru Send a message via Yahoo to korkscru
I'm gonna leave THIS one alone!!
Old 01-20-2003, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER

I've always been taught that God and Jesus Christ are two separate beings. God, being the Father, created everything and Jesus is the saviour sent to earth as the perfect man.

So if God created the Heavens and Earth and all that stuff, His works are pretty much matchless. His lead is pretty hard to follow That's why I don't know if "Hero" is the right word I would use. I think Jesus Christ could be a Hero because he wasn't just a spiritual being, but he also lived as a man. People try to model themselves after him by being kind, giving, temperate, etc...Christ-like.
I understand your point but not everyone feels that they are two separate beings. And even if you do think that, people can still model themselves after GOD. You might not cant create the universe in seven days but you can be forgiving, and not lie, and loving. You are always supposed to aim for something higher than what you think you can do because you push your limits that way. Besides Jesus was exactly like the father...
Old 01-21-2003, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Ok here we go....

This is such a touchy subject that not many will reply, but I have been looking at this thread for about a week. I never clicked on it because subjects like this are sensitive.

In my OPINION God is a hero. The original question was regarding children and their thoughts. Remember that these are children. Do children really think about the Holy Trinity when they think about Christ. NO. They think in terms of God can/ has saved me. They think about what a friend he is, and all the wonderful kindless acts that he has/ is doing.

And to just go ahead and agree with what the above post stated about children looking to God as a hero instead of a rapper, you could not have said it any better. Children today are caught up in the flash money, and the material aspects of life, that they do not know how to be humble. I am giving praise right now for the children just thinking about Christ!!!!