GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,403
1 members and 1,402 guests
sdneyttso2029

Old 12-10-2001, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have seen girls wear both on the same chain, and I think it is fine.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-10-2001, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristiAZD
The reason I do is because my AZD one is silver and my Sig Ep one is gold. Looks silly enough wearing two different metals (one of my pet peeves) let alone on the same chain.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

whatever makes you happy

I've heard of other girls have bracelet charms for their sorority and wear the fraternity lavalier necklace, etc...so many combos.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Or you can have the chain break to your boyfriend's lavalier, lose it and have it in the sweeper bag at his fraternity house. (Thank you, Andy's roommate.)
Old 12-13-2001, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

lol, last summer the lavalier chain broke when I was at work at J. Crew....Brandon got me another one.

Last year, I got pissy and took off the lavalier and threw it across the room and a day later- I found the chain but not the lavalier! We looked everywhere for it!!

We were on the verge of giving up, when Brandon sees it!! You should not believe where he spots it! Brandon lived in an upstairs apartment and the lavalier was in the crack of one of the wooden stairs [going up to his apt]! What are the chances he'd find it there?!
Old 01-05-2002, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
We do not pin on our campus. Actually, I have heard that some fraternities will beat the crap out of a brother who does, which is asinine. We do have lavaliering, but we call it "getting dropped" because we call the lavalier a "drop". When I went through rush this girl was telling me about being dropped by her boyfriend and I couldn't figure out why this made her happy...so she had to explain. I always thought that dropped was the same as dumped until then!

Anyway, not everyone drops their girlfriend. I was not dropped by my fiance and we dated 2 years, were friends for 3 before we got engaged. I am kind of glad I wasn't dropped because then it turns into "the DZ and the DU" who date. Also, I don't need a stinkin' drop when I have plat and diamonds on my hand!

Actually, most girls who get dropped end up getting dumped shortly therafter...it's like a curse.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

well I guess I'm in the minority then.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:23 PM

AngelPhiSig is right... lavalier, then pin, then engagement. Even just giving a girl a lavalier means you're serious. Both happened on my campus, but pinning is extremely rare - usually people just go straight to engagement.

I've seen girls wear their boyfriends' letters after being lavaliered - I guess it depends on the fraternity.

If a GDI's wife may weigh in my husband did lavalier me... he gave me a little heart charm, and my sorority did a candle-lighting for me. I never had a sorority lavalier so I just wore his charm.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, lavaliering is the big thing - usually happens at a formal (most times the fall one, since that's the "black tie only" one). The brother does it his own way - whether it's singing the girl a song, or doing something a little different. It usually ends up happening at every fall formal, for one reason or the other.

Collin
Old 01-09-2002, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

No "pinning" at all. WEll, not really. No one besides me can wear my badge. We do have sweetheart pins which can be baught for wives, mothers, sisters, and fiances. They are a smaller version of the badge. I guess were allowed to lavalier. No one has done it yet.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Great topic!!

When my boyfriend lavaliered me, it was definitely a special experience, and a turning point in our relationship. It's not the kind of thing that he would do twice, that's for sure! He went to college in the south, and I got the impression that it is a very high honor and very much a strong tradition. I don't want to give away any secrets, so I won't go too much into it, other than to say that I wear my lavaliere every day and that we have run into his brothers all around the world because of their recognizing me wearing his letters....or maybe they were just looking at my boobs. Kidding.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

The way that I've seen it work on my campus is this: lettering, lavaliering/pinning, engagement. The lettering is a farily big thing to begin with and what happens is that a guy gives his girl a shirt with his letters on it to wear. I'm lettered to my boyfriend's fraternity.
Then there isn't really any difference between lavaliering and pinning on my campus, the difference is what piece of jewelry it is as far as I know. Some fraternities have sweetheart pins so that their girlfriends don't have their actual pin but some don't. It's a really huge deal to be lavaliered or pinned because that means that a guy has serious intention to be engaged to you next. Usually there is some sort of ceremony or at least some way of letting the brothers know it happened.
We have candle passings in my sorority to let people know when big stuff like this happens too. But, my sorority's nationals make it very clear that girls cannot letter or lavaliere or pin guys. The only thing they can wear is a screen print t-shirt with the name of the sorority spelled out on it. As far as I know that's true for all sororities. But, then guys probably wouldn't want a sorority's letters anyway...
Old 01-22-2002, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I wear both of my lavaliers on the same chain. My boyfriend says the TKE goes on top and Sigma's on the bottom, that way the Sigma's are closest to my heart.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

That's so sweet Tracie!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Aren't our Tekes the sweetest?
It is sweet!!! But, sometimes I think he's a tad selfish because then the TKE is on top (just kidding...)

Love those TKE's!