GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,280
1 members and 1,279 guests
acg233

Old 06-28-2015, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Too old to rush?

I am going to be attending ASU and would like to rush a fraternity. I am in the military and by the time i get out ill be 25. Ive heard that some fraternities don't really care about the age thing, and that other will not even give you a shot. It will suck being talked down to by 19-20 yr old during rush but i feel like the brotherhood will really be a great payoff. I fell like i could be a good asset to the organization as far a leadership experience and maturity is concerned, and it would be jumping into another type of brotherhood. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Which ASU?
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

arizona state
Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

bump
Old 07-11-2015, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Am I the only one who read this and thought "hmm.... will there be any fraternities left at ASU by the time this kid gets there? It very well be a non-issue"

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-11-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper_jay View Post
I am going to be attending ASU and would like to rush a fraternity. I am in the military and by the time i get out ill be 25. Ive heard that some fraternities don't really care about the age thing, and that other will not even give you a shot. It will suck being talked down to by 19-20 yr old during rush but i feel like the brotherhood will really be a great payoff. I fell like i could be a good asset to the organization as far a leadership experience and maturity is concerned, and it would be jumping into another type of brotherhood. Thanks in advance.
I've heard of "older" men joining fraternities more often than it happens in sororities. So yes, you have a shot.

I'll be honest though and tell you that this gave me pause, "It will suck being talked down to by 19-20 yr old during rush". If you become a brother you're likely going to have chapter officers, heck maybe even advisors, who are younger than you. Some recent alums may be jerks and try to give you a hard time too.

How will you feel about that and how do you think you'll handle it? It's not too different than when your senior officer is younger than you in that for the most part you'll just have to deal with it. But you're not expected to actually like and be friends with your senior officer.

Just something to consider. Hopefully you find a brotherhood that's right for you and not full of guys who "talk down" to you during rush or later.

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What SoCalGirl said - I didn't respond when OP first posted for that exact reason.

Look, the Greek system at ASU is in Big Big Trouble. You might want to do some research. My advice: go through rush and see what happens.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity