GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,265
1 members and 2,264 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Wayne State has a partially structured recruitment which means that those first three days are open houses. You can come and go as you please, staying at each party for as long as you can. If you can get a two hour block during that time period, you could go to each sorority's event for 30 minutes and be SURE to explain that you have to leave to go to class to whoever you talk with at that party. That way, they won't think that you're just cutting out quickly because you're not interested. Even if you have a break in class from 4-5 and then from 6-7 or something, you could work that in. I would do everything I could to try to make an appearance at all the chapters the first day, Tuesday and the second day, Wednesday. You may decide by Thursday that there is a chapter or two that you don't feel comfortable with and choose to not attend every chapter's event that day. There are no invitation rounds until Prefs, so it is open to anybody until then. Do your best to get to each chapter at least twice before Prefs. So, if there is a chapter you miss on Tuesday, be sure to hit that one Wednesday and Thursday. If there is one that you're very interested in on Wednesday but don't think you'll be able to visit on Thursday, be sure to let them know that too. Communicate with the chapters when you see them so that they know it's not lack of interest, but a class that's keeping you away. I can't emphasize that enough, especially since Prefs are the only invitation round.

Some years, at Wayne, I would suggest that you wait and COB, because some years, all the chapters are doing COB. But this year, only one chapter will probably do COB after formal recruitment, so that's not a good idea this year.

You should also be aware that all of the chapters at Wayne State have their chapter meetings on Tuesday nights. They will work with you though, if you have class on Tuesday night, but for future semesters, you'll want to try to keep Tuesday nights open if you get a bid!

Shoot, even if you can only go to each one for 20 minutes the first night, try to get to all of them. What time, exactly, are your Tuesday classes?

ETA: I used to work with this chapter, as a volunteer alumna, but now I work with chapters in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan, just to clarify. My job that pays my bills is a block from Wayne State so I'm still somewhat close with these women though. I am not involved with them in any official capacity anymore.

Also ETA: This is a commuter school, very few of the members live on/near campus so commuting is most definitely not a problem.
There's not really any room in my schedule... I have an honor's anthro course from 3-4:20, an immigration's course from 4:30-5:50, and finally physics from 5:50-7:20. 10 minutes between each class.

I've heard that the immigration's course is not extremely demanding so maybe I'll skip that class if I feel confident and get to the open houses for about an hour.

Also, it says there are registration events you can attend on the 9 and 15 even though you can do it online. Maybe I could go there and get some advice from the rho gammas on what to do?

I'm almost considering waiting until sophomore year...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2009, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely go to one of the registration events and talk to the Rho Gammas.

There will probably be more groups (if not all) doing COB winter term, although they will likely only have a few spots open. I don't remember what the fee is to go through recruitment at Wayne, but if it's not too expensive, you could also go to events on that Wednesday and get a feel for the groups at least. Or, as someone else suggested, you could see if there is another section of any of those classes that you could attend for that week only. I'm not sure I would mention why, at Wayne. I don't know that the professors are very pro-Greek, but if you said you had a conflict in your schedule and wondered if it would be ok to do that one week, they may cooperate. They may even appreciate that you came to them with that proposal. I would do that over skipping class. GPAs are important to the NPC groups at Wayne!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely talk to a Rho Gamma on your campus. Dont skip class, that would be bad. Its difficult because recruitment is a major time commitment and its hard to put into your schedule, but you have to also consider just how heavy your schedule would be if you did join a sorority. A Rho Gam can give you a really honest viewpoint of what sorority life on your campus is really like, it'll help you decide!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoGamma09 View Post
I would definitely talk to a Rho Gamma on your campus. Dont skip class, that would be bad. Its difficult because recruitment is a major time commitment and its hard to put into your schedule, but you have to also consider just how heavy your schedule would be if you did join a sorority. A Rho Gam can give you a really honest viewpoint of what sorority life on your campus is really like, it'll help you decide!
Thanks, that's definitely true. I'll go to one of these events and hopefully I can gain some insight from talking to a Rho Gam.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 AM
AEcutiePhi

Just a tidbit of info 2 chapters are COR ing right now and I believe 3 chapters will be COR ing in the Winter =].