GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,718
2 members and 2,716 guests
ER_Pike, TLLK

Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

COB Dates

x

Last edited by sherryanne; 07-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM

This is a tough situation.

Unfortunately, when COB is scheduled like this you do kind of need to make some decisions.

Depending on how the chapter does things, if you get a bid, you may have to accept or decline that night, so you may not have the option of waiting to accept until after you go to the other chapter's events.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-12-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Actually, if a bid is offered to you through COB, you usually have at least 24 hours to decide whether or not to sign it. You might miss the bid day festivities, but better to do that than be tied to the wrong group for a year.

I hate when Panhels do this, it's so crummy for the rushees especially those who are doing the smart thing and checking out all the groups.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks KSUViolet06 and 33girl! Turns out that one of the chapters has a bid day happening nearly two weeks after the bid day of another chapter. :( I don't know anyone in the chapters, so I'm completely unbiased. How should I go about participating in COB (since I can't check out every chapter) if they all look the same to me?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

My alma mater does informal recruitment this way. It's a mad free-for all, with PNMs having to choose between overlapping parties and having to decide whether to take a bid or try to hold out for another chapter. I'm glad I went through formal (though the changes didn't take place until after I joined).

All I can say is to go to as many parties as you can and follow your gut. Only you can make the best decision for yourself.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip Send a message via Skype™ to cali_gossip
This is how Spring Recruitment happens at my school and how I went through. If the chapters have events near each other, you could try going to each for a little bit just to get a feel for them and meet some of the actives. If you feel you have made any connection with any, just go to their events for the next few days or split your time if you liked another one as well. Good luck!

DZ
Old 01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryanne View Post
Thanks KSUViolet06 and 33girl! Turns out that one of the chapters has a bid day happening nearly two weeks after the bid day of another chapter. :( I don't know anyone in the chapters, so I'm completely unbiased. How should I go about participating in COB (since I can't check out every chapter) if they all look the same to me?
If you are completely unbiased and don't know anyone in the chapters at your school, I would recommend attending all of the COB events to meet lots of new people. Assuming that there may be some chapters on your campus not participating in COB, perhaps you should also consider just meeting people at the spring COB events and then attending formal recruitment (in the fall?) so that you might maximize your options and find the right sorority for you (not just those that have fallen under total this semester)?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
If you are completely unbiased and don't know anyone in the chapters at your school, I would recommend attending all of the COB events to meet lots of new people. Assuming that there may be some chapters on your campus not participating in COB, perhaps you should also consider just meeting people at the spring COB events and then attending formal recruitment (in the fall?) so that you might maximize your options and find the right sorority for you (not just those that have fallen under total this semester)?
That was what I was going to suggest. Our campus has a similar situation and it's frustrating for the sororities too as we end up trying to beat each other to the punch for the girls we want. Though a lot of girls COBing are doing it because they know what sorority they want, there are many that have no idea, and I've seen them take the first bid they got when they probably would've been extended more than one had they waited. And they end up being disappointed sometimes. If you have NO idea I think the advice of getting to know the girls now and then going through formal recruitment is a good one. Otherwise you could try to get to know girls from the chapters prior to the COB's.