GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Beta Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,510
0 members and 1,510 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2004, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Working with other Musical Orgs...

What types of programs do you guys do to create some unity between the othe rmusical orgs on your campus?

I know that we recently created a small scholarship with the Sigma Alpha Iota chapter here...but what other things are being done?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2004, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
I'm not in TBS but SAI here sometimes works with TBS. Here's a few ideas:

--At the beginning of the year, have a joint informational meeting for the freshmen, each group telling all about themselves and whatnot.

--have a joint social of some kind

--You might even try a rush event together
Old 05-12-2004, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Wanted to bump up this thread because I thought of something else to post.

I am my SAI chapter's new president and we've been talking pretty informally about plans for the next year. We are considering starting a committee with reps from all three music groups (SAI, TBS, PMA) so we can meet, talk about things our groups are doing, and plan occasional group things.

One thing a girl from TBS suggested that I think is a FABULOUS idea is a big group service project! Pick something like VH1's "Save the Music" or maybe find a local music program in need. Just anything! And plan a big joint fundraiser or project to support it. This is an awesome thing, because if you think about it, all music GLOs have different purposes, but our core common goal--supporting the art of music--is the same. So there's no reason NOT to work together.

Honestly, communication is the key!!! I can't stress that enough. Keep good relations between the other groups, and respect what they do. You might even drop them a card signed by all your members that says something like: "We appreciate all that you do to support music!" (I was looking through our old scrapbooks, and there was a card just like that from our TBS chapter to us. It's something really thoughtful!)

I hope some of this helps. Reply or PM me if you want any more ideas!
Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Sairose--

Funny... I was thinking of "Save the Music" as a possible philanthropy as well... including suggesting it to Nationals as a philanthropy for KKY and TBS to consider supporting.

I mean... without it, few of our members would have had the opportunity to play an instrument!

Great idea.

It might be a great bonding service project for multiple chapters of all of the organizations.

~ Mel.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Measi
Sairose--

Funny... I was thinking of "Save the Music" as a possible philanthropy as well... including suggesting it to Nationals as a philanthropy for KKY and TBS to consider supporting.

I mean... without it, few of our members would have had the opportunity to play an instrument!

Great idea.

It might be a great bonding service project for multiple chapters of all of the organizations.

~ Mel.
Ha! Great minds think alike.

Another update on that. Some of the TBS members suggested this for the fundraiser: since VH1 Divas is a fundraiser for Save-the-Music, what about a local karaoke contest? Trust me karaoke is SO MUCH FUN. We're considering all three groups putting one on.

Does TBS have an official Philanthropy/Philanthropies? I just wondered, because SAI has SAI Philanthropies, Inc. which encompasses a variety of projects.

This is a really great thread!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
To my knowledge, there aren't any official national philanthropies for TBS, but I could be wrong. I know a couple chapters have taken on some local cause, though (i.e. saving money for band instruments for local school music programs, helping support a music festival for kids, etc.). Mostly, though, TBS has been focused specifically on the local college/university band programs (marching, pep, concert, etc.), and being of service to them.

granted, I'm a few years out of college now... and our chapter was in focus-on-survival-only mode for two out of my four years of college. I'd have to wonder how karaoke would go over with my chapter... I've often heard the joke that there's a reason we all play instruments-- we can't sing!

~ Mel.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kat1946
Nationally, we have pushed for supporting Girl Scout troops. It's a great way to expose people to music and can be done with little to no financial obligation to the local chapters. Most chapters organize programs to help Girl Scouts get their music badges.

I think Save the Music is a great idea. It's been discussed before, and it's possible the yes, all 4 need to join together. I know individually, some of the organizations have stepped forward to ask about making it a cause.
Tau Beta Sigma
Old 05-25-2004, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Measi
To my knowledge, there aren't any official national philanthropies for TBS, but I could be wrong. I know a couple chapters have taken on some local cause, though (i.e. saving money for band instruments for local school music programs, helping support a music festival for kids, etc.). Mostly, though, TBS has been focused specifically on the local college/university band programs (marching, pep, concert, etc.), and being of service to them.

granted, I'm a few years out of college now... and our chapter was in focus-on-survival-only mode for two out of my four years of college. I'd have to wonder how karaoke would go over with my chapter... I've often heard the joke that there's a reason we all play instruments-- we can't sing!

~ Mel.
Oh, come on, karaoke is even more fun when you can't sing! Because then you can laugh at each other.

And I think it'd be wonderful if y'all adopted Save the Music as a national philanthropy; it's a GREAT project!!

Music greek love,
Allie
Old 07-01-2004, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BLUTANG Send a message via Yahoo to BLUTANG
If you could have periodic joint meetings with your "Fab Four" exec. board and just take the time to socialize with each other i honestly believe that your good relationship with each other will "trickle down / spread out" to the rest of your band(s) and music department. Then you will have each other AND the other bandsmen / musicians to call on when you do these great projects!

I have seen some campuses where TBS / KKPsi / Sigma Alpha Iota / Phi Mu Alpha just don't do the "working together" thing and i can't for the life of me figure out why. i WISH we had other like-minded organizations on the yard when i was in school... but i digress.

I agree that the best way to work together is to COMMUNICATE with each other. I mean, music is universal so i imagine we already speak each other's language.