GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,297
0 members and 2,297 guests
No Members online

Old 10-23-2007, 02:23 PM

Question Junior looking for some help on pledging as an upper class student

I am a student at a SUNY school; I transferred here from a community college in the fall of 2006. I wanted to get involved with a sorority because my sister went to another SUNY school and was involved in one and I remember seeing her pictures and just seeing how much fun it looked like and now she is getting married next August and has two of her pledge sisters as her bridesmaids. So in the fall(of 2006) I started looking immediately into sororities, there was one that I thought I was defiantly going to love so I went to a bunch of mixers and was getting to know the girls. However, I realized that I didn’t feel like I totally loved the sorority. I did look into one other sorority and ended up getting two bids but signed with the first sorority because I felt like I had known more info on that sorority and because I was going to all their events. I de-pledged the first sorority and now I am a junior and I really want to get involved. I have tried other things like kick line, swim team and writing for the paper but I want to get involved with Greek life and try with the other sorority I looked into last fall or another sorority which I had just found out about because they were dis-affiliated last year. I would be trying for next (spring) semester. I have heard it is harder to rush older and that most girls do not do it but I am hoping to hear some encouragement or success stories. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 10-23-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-23-2007, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
i pm'd you
Old 10-23-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to icicle22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpinz17 View Post
I am a student at a SUNY school; I transferred here from a community college in the fall of 2006. I wanted to get involved with a sorority because my sister went to another SUNY school and was involved in one and I remember seeing her pictures and just seeing how much fun it looked like and now she is getting married next August and has two of her pledge sisters as her bridesmaids. So in the fall(of 2006) I started looking immediately into sororities, there was one that I thought I was defiantly going to love so I went to a bunch of mixers and was getting to know the girls. However, I realized that I didn’t feel like I totally loved the sorority. I did look into one other sorority and ended up getting two bids but signed with the first sorority because I felt like I had known more info on that sorority and because I was going to all their events. I de-pledged the first sorority and now I am a junior and I really want to get involved. I have tried other things like kick line, swim team and writing for the paper but I want to get involved with Greek life and try with the other sorority I looked into last fall or another sorority which I had just found out about because they were dis-affiliated last year. I would be trying for next (spring) semester. I have heard it is harder to rush older and that most girls do not do it but I am hoping to hear some encouragement or success stories. Thanks for your input!
I've been wondering about this too. Are there ANY success stories with rushing as a junior?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My friend transfered to U of Illinois (hugely greek school) and got a bid as a junior through formal recruitment. It's not unheard of.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsigkap View Post
My friend transfered to U of Illinois (hugely greek school) and got a bid as a junior through formal recruitment. It's not unheard of.
Wow, that's a relief...I seriously thought that because a girl is a junior, she doesn't necessarily get a bid.
I was curious though, because I rushed this year during August, and got dropped, and am therefore willing to go through formal recruitment next fall. I do hope that doesn't sound dumb or stupid.

Last edited by icicle22; 10-23-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sisters in my pledge class was a junior, we were all highly impressed by her courage.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22 View Post
Are there ANY success stories with rushing as a junior?
Of course there are. There are lots of them! It really does depend on the campus though; at some you wouldn't have a chance and at others it's pretty common for Juniors to get a bid.

I pledged KD as a Junior!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

HottyToddyChick rushed at Ole Miss and got a bid as a junior just a few weeks ago
Old 10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
I'm not sure about the big greek schools. I know with us (as a local) it doesn't count against them. It is sad because they don't get to stay with us as long, and we urge them to work their way up in eboard more quickly and to take a little, and they usually get to have a little earlier too.
We've even taken seniors before.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow, that's a relief...I seriously thought that because a girl is a junior, she doesn't necessarily get a bid.
I was curious though, because I rushed this year during August, and got dropped, and am therefore willing to go through formal recruitment next fall. I do hope that doesn't sound dumb or stupid.
Well yes, you thought correctly. Actually, no one going through recruitment necessarily gets a bid, freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. The general trend is that a PNM will have the most choices as a freshman (or sophomore if freshmen are not allowed to join). Juniors generally have fewer choices, but it is not unheard of, even at competitive schools, for juniors to get bids.

When you say you "were dropped" do you mean that you were cut by all chapters on campus, or you were cut by some and decided to drop out of recruitment?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowyi View Post
One of my sisters in my pledge class was a junior, we were all highly impressed by her courage.
this statement makes me feel like you all were kinda looking down on her... IDK.. =shrug==

IDK...maybe this is just me, and I'm possibly taking this the TOTAL wrong way because of my history at my very NON competitive school where class standing doesn't really matter AT ALL...
Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've been wondering about this too. Are there ANY success stories with rushing as a junior?
I was one of 6 juniors in my new member class last fall. It depends on where you go to school, but its def not unheard of or impossible.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about SUNY schools but I also transferred from a community college to go to a four year in NY. Greek life isn't so competitive at my school and therefore class status doesn't seem to affect getting a bid or not. I got a bid and am so excited I did. However, I would suggest: 1) Keeping your grades up 2)Get to know girls involved in greek life 3) Keep an open mind and 4) Be yourself! Good luck
Old 10-24-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Well yes, you thought correctly. Actually, no one going through recruitment necessarily gets a bid, freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. The general trend is that a PNM will have the most choices as a freshman (or sophomore if freshmen are not allowed to join). Juniors generally have fewer choices, but it is not unheard of, even at competitive schools, for juniors to get bids.

When you say you "were dropped" do you mean that you were cut by all chapters on campus, or you were cut by some and decided to drop out of recruitment?
By "dropped", I meant I was cut by all chapters. It was more of a gradual thing...most of the chapters at my school dropped me by the third round of rush.

Last edited by icicle22; 10-24-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

On UGAs greek life website, you can see who all pledged/got a bid and what year they were..there was only one junior to get a bid. I'll be there next spring and I'm SUPER nervous about all that, but I'm going to try and rush fall.

But I've known girls at schools to get bids as juniors..it's not unheard of at all..but it really honestly depends on the school, I suppose.