GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,369
1 members and 1,368 guests
No Members online

Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Man/King/Etc.

Hello! Im newly installed PR and one thing I want to change for my chapter is our lack of a sorority man/king/whatever. About 5 years ago we used to do this along with almost every other chapter on campus, but it was found in our bylaws that this was not allowed. It puts us at a pretty big disadvantage with other chapters events. My question is, is there anyone in a similar situation who has found a way around it? For example, linking it with your philanthropy rather than just a sorority affiliation? This is GREAT PR that we are lacking and could be an opportunity to raise so much more money for our philanthropy so any help is appreciated!

Last edited by lindseyne; 12-08-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyne View Post
Hello! Im newly installed PR and one of the main issues I want to solve for my chapter is our lack of a sorority man/king/whatever. About 5 years ago we used to do this along with almost every other chapter on campus, but it was found in our bylaws that this was not allowed. My question is, is there anyone in a similar situation who has found a way around it? For example, linking it with your philanthropy rather than just a sorority affiliation? This is GREAT PR that we are lacking and could be an opportunity to raise so much more money for our philanthropy so any help is appreciated!
Are you referring to a sweetheart? I've never heard of a " Sorority King."

Do other members of your chapter feel the same way you do? If so, why not vote to change your bylaws?

@~/~~~~
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Are you referring to a sweetheart? I've never heard of a " Sorority King."

Do other members of your chapter feel the same way you do? If so, why not vote to change your bylaws?
Yes like a male sweetheart...! I believe in the past its been a problem with nationals and I am trying to gather as much info as possible before I go through them!

Last edited by lindseyne; 12-08-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
This.

If you want to do a philanthropy, why not Mr. Greek or something like that?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 12-08-2013, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
This.

If you want to do a philanthropy, why not Mr. Greek or something like that?
Mr. Greek wouldnt work, there are 17 sororities on campus and the majority of them do sweetheart competitions and usually associate that with their philanthropy. We have a big dodgeball competition in the spring that we could do it with but in the past nationals has denied our request

Last edited by lindseyne; 12-08-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Trying to understand what this is about?

Is it a gay Fraternity?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Trying to understand what this is about?

Is it a gay Fraternity?
I am laughing so hard I am crying.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter started a Mr. University pageant as a philanthropy event. $1 entry, or 2 donated canned goods. We had men represent other greek orgs, as well as residence halls and other clubs. We get 3 professors/staff members to be judges.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't advise going against your nationals. I know we specifically forbid any type of sweetheart. It sounds like this is also your situation. Have you asked your nationals or area advisor what you CAN do that would be along the same lines, but still allowed?
Old 12-08-2013, 06:33 PM

I don't understand the concept of a sweetheart just being some guy who wins a pageant. I would think it should be someone who is special to your chapter and will be proud to be associated with you. Perhaps that is your national's problem.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I wouldn't advise going against your nationals. I know we specifically forbid any type of sweetheart. It sounds like this is also your situation. Have you asked your nationals or area advisor what you CAN do that would be along the same lines, but still allowed?
^I'm with Sciencewoman on this one. I would definitely not go against your nationals in any way. I would check with them and see if this is allowed.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Sweetheart was always a guy special to our chapter. The pageant is just a suggestion as an alternative.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

The purpose is not to go against nationals. I am trying to figure out a way to go about asking permission... Basically we want this "pageant" to bring more people to our philanthropy event and it will also be someone who is special and a good rep of our chapter
Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyne View Post
The purpose is not to go against nationals. I am trying to figure out a way to go about asking permission... Basically we want this "pageant" to bring more people to our philanthropy event and it will also be someone who is special and a good rep of our chapter
The ZTA chapter at Clemson does a "Zeta's Big Man on Campus" where each sorority and fraternity picks a guy to represent their chapter and then hosts a funny talent show, with all proceeds going to ZTA's philanthropy. It's a huge hit and an honor for the guys sororities choose to represent them.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You can find a way to have a more attractive philanthropy event without this. I personally find them very objectifying, whether the "sweetheart" is male or female. If your philanthropy is a dud relative to the others on campus, I would ask your headquarters for a more interesting alternative and a PR machine to successfully market it. Having the next big thing where you pull out all the stops will bring people out of the woodwork. And I'm a big fan of philanthropies that welcome non-Greeks to the program. Otherwise you're continually just dipping into the same well.