GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,536
1 members and 1,535 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Questions about deferred recruitment, facebook & race?

Question 1. If I am (HOPEFULLY) going to attend a school that does deferred recruitment, at what point do I need to make my Facebook public? I have nothing to clean since I do not really use it, so I have no problem making it public. Would I make it public when I register for recruitment?

Question 2. I know this may come off as ignorant, close minded, stereotyping, and perhaps even repetitive but I cannot help but ask this. I mentioned in my post about being right for a sorority that I don't have my heart set on any particular NPC sorority, I'm open to the house I share a mutual connection with(not to sound corny). But I have to ask, without revealing too much information, how much of a factor does race/ethnicity play into recruitment at Texas school?
I know, it's stereotyping and probably a dumb question I shouldn't ask, but I just had to. I hear it's a big deal at certain southern schools, so I'd like to see if anyone could comment on it..obviously by me asking this I am clearly not Caucasian, so how big of a factor is it? Will it hurt me in the end?

Whoever reads this you're great because I ramble too much.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-03-2012, 05:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding question 1-you don't have to make it public or private. I would suggest you at least have a selection of photos and a bit of a bio about yourself that are publicly available. But do it when and if you are comfortable. And you can have some elements public and some private.

Regarding question 2 - we can't answer that for you. All NPC sororities today take women of all races and religions, but admittedly at some schools there may only be a token. Sorry, bad word but sadly true. You'll just have to go through it yourself and see what happens. You won't be shut out completely just because you're not white but there may be some who aren't too interested in diversifying. Really, would you want to be with them anyway? And you won't be treated badly. Even if they're (hypberbole coming) burning crosses at night they'd still be as sweet as pie to you at the party. You might look through the various chapters' websites at your school and sort of do a head count. It won't answer anything definitively but you'll at least see if there are zero, a few or some women of color represented in all or some of the chapters. Unfortunately, that's about the best I can do. Go through, try not to worry about it, and don't blame success or failure on your race. The fact is you'll never know why some sororities didn't choose you so there's no point in worrying about it.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

^^ Yep good advice. I would only add that on facebook have a picture of only you on your profile because when there are 2 or 3 girls we are not sure which one is you. This is especially important if you are registering at a school where you don't provide a photo for each Chapter. Also, we don't know your going through recruitment until after you register so if you are going to lock down, clean up or go public I would think that would be the time to do so. Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Keep in mind, though, at some schools, there are few women of color who go through NPC recruitment. So, if you see few women of color in sororities, it could be a vicious cycle where women think "they have no women of color" so they don't rush, and then the chapters don't have any women of color, because none of them rushed.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
^^ Yep good advice. I would only add that on facebook have a picture of only you on your profile because when there are 2 or 3 girls we are not sure which one is you. This is especially important if you are registering at a school where you don't provide a photo for each Chapter. Also, we don't know your going through recruitment until after you register so if you are going to lock down, clean up or go public I would think that would be the time to do so. Good Luck!
When you look at your FB to decide what to keep public and what to hide, think of it as an advertisement for you. What pictures/updates/whatever will sell you to someone who doesn't know you?

If I were going through recruitment right now, I'd make sure that I had pictures of myself at some of my high school activities, plus casual ones that are flattering to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks y'all.

All i really need to do is just make my profile a bit more interesting lol. Thanks