GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,728
1 members and 2,727 guests
No Members online

Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Dropped out of Fall.. Spring?

My whole life I grew up thinking of Greek because my mother and all her sisters were in sororities and all my uncles were in fraternities.

I rushed in the Fall at UCF and went to Sisterhood Day, but I got dropped from my first and second choice. I cried so long that I missed a party and had to drop out.

Should I rush again in the Spring? What are my chances of getting into one?

If I don't get a bid during Spring, should I rush Fall again?

Any tips are welcome!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-29-2015, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbridge13 View Post
My whole life I grew up thinking of Greek because my mother and all her sisters were in sororities and all my uncles were in fraternities.

I rushed in the Fall at UCF and went to Sisterhood Day, but I got dropped from my first and second choice. I cried so long that I missed a party and had to drop out.

Should I rush again in the Spring? What are my chances of getting into one?

If I don't get a bid during Spring, should I rush Fall again?

Any tips are welcome!
No one can tell you your chances, but the only guarantee is that if you don't rush you won't get a bid. If you've made friends with sisters in sororities that are doing spring recruitment that will help you.

If you do rush in the fall keep in mind that your options will be more limited as a sophomore and that you probably won't be getting back your top choices each round.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:16 AM
GreekChat Member

What clemsongirl said.

You could also spend some time reading in the recruitment forum; there are threads about women who have re-rushed successfully (as well as unsuccessfullly).

Good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-30-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

You were dropped from 2 sororities so you kicked the other 10 - TEN - to the curb and flounced off?
It's a MUTUAL selection process, cupcake. You get to pick, but so do the sororities.
I highly suggest an attitude adjustment before you attempt re-rushing anywhere at any time.
After each round, forget the other sororities exist, and take a closer look at the ones still on your plate. Don't listen to the gossip, which is usually a bunch of outright lies. Look closer at the groups and the women in those groups.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What AnchorAlum said. It can be an emotional roller coaster, but you didn't give any of the other groups a chance. That attitude will have to change.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbridge13 View Post
We may have to give this PNM a break... if she missed a party because she was crying (which I think is really silly, but let's assume that is what happened) I believe that means that the PNM is dropped from rush. The rules require that you attend ALL parties that you are invited to. If you don't attend a party, you are dropped. I know there are exceptions like class or maybe getting really sick. Not sure if there is an exception for crying.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
We may have to give this PNM a break... if she missed a party because she was crying (which I think is really silly, but let's assume that is what happened) I believe that means that the PNM is dropped from rush. The rules require that you attend ALL parties that you are invited to. If you don't attend a party, you are dropped. I know there are exceptions like class or maybe getting really sick. Not sure if there is an exception for crying.
This^^^^

Old 10-30-2015, 09:10 PM

How far ahead of time do the rushees get their schedule for the second round? I would hope a Rho Chi would try to get a girl to carry on and stop crying, or else have her taken to the hospital if she really was that hysterical for that long.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
How far ahead of time do the rushees get their schedule for the second round? I would hope a Rho Chi would try to get a girl to carry on and stop crying, or else have her taken to the hospital if she really was that hysterical for that long.
I don't know about UCF, but some universities do give out invitations to parties RIGHT before the round starts. They do it this way to try to keep girls from dropping out of rush, if they don't get their favorites back. It doesn't always work out so well. Still.....
Old 10-31-2015, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
My Rho Gamma gave me my schedule about 10-15 minutes before my party and I realized after dropping that I should've stuck with it, but I let my emotions get the best of me..
Old 10-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

It is understandable. No need to beat yourself up. Like I said, give spring a try. If it doesn't work out go thru again in the fall.

In the meantime, join one or two orgs that you are interested in-if either have a high number of sorority members, all the better. Keep your grades up and your nose clean. If you have friends that are new members, maybe you will be invited to the house for dinner( if it is a housed chapter). Get recs. I don't care if your very best friend who is a member of XYZ says she didn't have any and got a top chapter, you go ahead and get them. You will no longer be a freshman. Recs will help.

Keep your options open in the fall. Many a time a PNM has been blown away during a pref party by a group she was lukewarm toward, but you have to make it to pref round.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 10-31-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Same thing happened to me except worse: I got dropped from all houses except the one I didn't like! I was devastated. Hated all sororities after that. We do formal recruitment in the spring, so the following fall, I decided to try for it. The only sorority doing informal recruitment was the one I didn't like. Guess what? I gave it a chance, fell in love, and now I'm obsessed with it and on our executive board!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterlylove View Post
Same thing happened to me except worse: I got dropped from all houses except the one I didn't like! I was devastated. Hated all sororities after that. We do formal recruitment in the spring, so the following fall, I decided to try for it. The only sorority doing informal recruitment was the one I didn't like. Guess what? I gave it a chance, fell in love, and now I'm obsessed with it and on our executive board!
And that's what it's all about!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

This seems like a good time to point out that it's not really mutual selection. The sororities choose and you get to say yes or no at the end. You have a BIT of say. If you want in a sorority, play the game and be happy with your invitations. But that being said, definitely go through informal. It's way less pressure and there isn't all the drama of LISTS and CUTS. You're just getting to know some girls and making friends./