GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,050
0 members and 2,050 guests
No Members online

Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But why is age such a huge issue? I'm still a freshman, if they're concerned with how long I'd be able to serve the chapter?
Chapters might be concerned because you are already 3 years older than the typical freshman and would be 25 as a senior. Chances are your tolerance meter for dealing with 18 year old women and men would be in overdrive by then. It really varies by campus, and I don't have the energy to investigate where PBPhi is colonizing this year. On a traditional campus PNM age can be an issue. On commuter and less trad schools, prob not much of an issue.

Greek life telling you sophs, jrs and srs can rush doesn't tell you what your realistic chances are... just that you can sign up. It's like the girl with the 2.8 HS average. Can she register? Yes. Will she get a bid? Maybe, but it will probably be quite limited opportunities. Colonies are unique experiences. You should at least investigate. Legacies don't carry as much weight anymore, especially from further up the line.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-13-2014, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Take the potential opportunities that being part of a new colony recruitment would give. Please, give it a shot.

I would have loved to have had the same potential opportunity. I too, was a non traditional student, although several years older than you. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the cards for me. You have a great opportunity open to you....I suggest that you grab it.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

What a wonderful opportunity to be part of a new colony.
Pi Beta Phi will be looking for all ages and grade levels, so it will give you a chance for better consideration than if you wait a whole extra year for Formal Recruitment (as Formal can be really "ageist").
I would take this opportunity by the horns!
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!
(And let GC know how things went.)

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

As an older, nontraditional student, your best chance is with the colony. Pi Beta Phi is a wonderful organization and I believe that you would never regret joining, should you be given that opportunity.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me add that being a part of a colony is a VERY bonding experience. It's also a real privilege and honor.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Anonymous Student

I just realized that there was a page two to my thread but, I’m also very amazed by all of the advice and support that I’ve received. This has been much more responsive than other forums I’ve posted to in the past. I definitely hear all of you loud and clear and I’ll be honest, this isn’t the response that I was initially expecting. I was expecting people to say, “Go to formal recruitment so you can visit all of the houses!” I never considered my age as a factor before I came on GreekChat. So I’m definitely convinced, and am really pumped now about going through the final stages of recruitment next month! I already bought my dress for preference night ($30 on Amazon)! On a side note, I haven’t purchased the cardigan to go with the dress yet...does it look like a PNM is trying too hard when she tries to wear the colors of the sorority she’s trying to get into? Anyways, again, I just want to say thank you to everyone who replied to my thread, it was really fun reading everyone’s point of view on the subject. And wish me luck! I’ll update the thread when I find out if they’ve accepted me or not.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, wearing the colors of the group is considered a little "too" - if you get my drift.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yes, wearing the colors of the group is considered a little "too" - if you get my drift.
Well, I think if you wore just a burgundy or blue dress, you could be fine.

But you should definitely avoid these outfits:

Old 09-15-2014, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Please come back (or better yet, stick around and read the recruitment threads-there are a few colonization threads that might give you some insight) and let us know how everything goes. Best wishes!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I probably wouldn't be as on the nose as that. Be seasonally appropriate and the correct amount of dressy in whatever colors look good on you and wear it with pride. Good luck!
Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Anonymous Student

So I already picked out my dress. And mostly because I already own the black version and it's a very comfy yet flattering dress (I wore the black one at my Dad's wedding so I have the skinny white belt too). So I was thinking maybe a white or black cardigan and white or black heels/flats. Not sure yet but I'm thinking blue and white would look cute together and keep it bright.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Anonymous Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Please come back (or better yet, stick around and read the recruitment threads-there are a few colonization threads that might give you some insight) and let us know how everything goes. Best wishes!
Hey, are there any particular threads that you think I should read? I mostly posted my thread in the first place because I was having issues finding enough info about colonizing.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Coral or Yellow would be super pretty for a cardigan with that dress. Good luck! Agree with other posters that the colonization is your best shot. If you don't receive a bid from them, register for formal recruitment.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't wear white shoes in the fall...stick with the black shoes with a black dress.

I like the idea of a colorful cardigan.

I'd LOVE to see my Pi Phi daughter's reaction if I suggested she try to recreate this ensemble:

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-15-2014 at 06:56 PM.