GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,512
3 members and 2,509 guests
John

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
renlizabeth

Unhappy Having trouble processing the disappointment of the sorority I joined. Any advice?

So last fall I got initiated into a new sorority on campus. My reasons for joining were to get involved, make connections, make new friends, and be a part of something great. As a commuter student it was hard to do any of those things on my own (especially as someone who is a bit of an introvert).

Anyway, even before initiation I tried my best and went to every event that I could, except that most of the events for socializing with sisters occurred during nights when I had class or were last minute things that I only found out about once I got home (about 40 mins from campus).

Most of the sisters that joined, joined as friends already and stayed in their cliques throughout the whole process of being pledges to new initiates. Every event/meeting was filled with cliques and cold stares. My attempts to break through some of these barriers were met with disappointments. The girls didn't seem to want to venture out of their comfort zones.

After going through a rough family trauma, I tried talking to the chapter president about these disappointments and my inability to attend some mandatory events coming up do to dealing with family issues. The chapter president gave me a blank look and said that it wasn't an excuse and that I would have to drop. She then proceeded to walk away and tell me to come to her the next day with all of my belongings.

Our colony leader that was there to help establish the chapter was currently out of town. When I tried contacting her to discuss the issues at hand she never responded.

Basically, I'm not a member of the chapter of the sorority anymore (not like I was given any other options).

What does this mean for me? I was initiated so I don't know if I can even consider myself as anything to do with the organization.

What am I and where do I go from here? I admit after the whole fiasco I didn't know what to do so I didn't do anything else but go home and cry. I still think the sorority itself is a great one, but the way everything was conducted at my school was ridiculous.

Any words?