GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,250
1 members and 1,249 guests
Low D Flat

Old 06-07-2012, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

From the South to the West Coast - Help?

Hi everyone,

I live in Alabama and I'm pretty familiar with Greek life down here from going to parties and football games, etc. However, I'm going to be going to school in the West Coast in the Fall (UCLA).

I don't know anyone in fraternities on the West Coast so I'm wondering what it's like over there. Do people dress just as "fratty"? If not, how do they dress? Do they have summer rush activities? And lastly, what's life like in a fraternity out there?

I'm really curious about this and obviously I'll know all the answers when I go out there for orientation/school, but I'd like to know a little beforehand. If anyone here is in a fraternity anywhere on the West Coast, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7 View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Alabama and I'm pretty familiar with Greek life down here from going to parties and football games, etc. However, I'm going to be going to school in the West Coast in the Fall (UCLA).

I don't know anyone in fraternities on the West Coast so I'm wondering what it's like over there. Do people dress just as "fratty"? If not, how do they dress? Do they have summer rush activities? And lastly, what's life like in a fraternity out there?

I'm really curious about this and obviously I'll know all the answers when I go out there for orientation/school, but I'd like to know a little beforehand. If anyone here is in a fraternity anywhere on the West Coast, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I'll be praying for your lost soul, wandering among the guidos, frantically trying to search for a polo button up, khaki shorts wearing fellow Southerner. Expect to find plenty of beautiful women, just not your lovely Southern belles.

However, prepare your fist for pumping my man. It will be the studliest muscle in your body when you graduate.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, bless your heart! We'll pray for you....
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Same fratty outfit as in the south, no socks, polo shirt with collar turned up, no croakies and you'll be fine....
Old 06-10-2012, 04:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Even though I do not attend a school in CA, here at ASU half of the students are from California.

As far as fratty attire is concerned, you will be fine with what's in your closet right now. I would recommend adding a few tank tops, boardshorts, and even a snapback hat to your closet as these are very popular out in California.

While I'm not familiar with UCLA Greek Life persay, I do know that some schools have a huge Greek presence, such as USC, while others are so-so.

Hope this helps and good luck with UCLA and rush!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
Same fratty outfit as in the south, no socks, polo shirt with collar turned up, no croakies and you'll be fine....
Really? I have never seen college guys in so cal wearing polos.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring we could always pick out the SoCal guys because they wear the polo knit shirts but with the collars turned up. It is funny because we saw guys doing this when the visited DC too
Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatausc View Post
I'll be praying for your lost soul, wandering among the guidos, frantically trying to search for a polo button up, khaki shorts wearing fellow Southerner. Expect to find plenty of beautiful women, just not your lovely Southern belles.

However, prepare your fist for pumping my man. It will be the studliest muscle in your body when you graduate.
I've never read a description of SoCal folks like this before.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Adding on here. I'm an out of stater that just started at one of the above mentioned socal's and finished rush but without an invite to the blue chip dinner. I was only able to meet guys from 2 frats (3 day event) and seemed to get along great with both so who knows what happened. The question is that they have "secondary rush" this coming weekend for guys that didn't get an invite. Anyone familiar with this? My sister is in a sorority - different school back east - and never heard of it. Just wondering if its worth going to.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7654321 View Post
Adding on here. I'm an out of stater that just started at one of the above mentioned socal's and finished rush but without an invite to the blue chip dinner. I was only able to meet guys from 2 frats (3 day event) and seemed to get along great with both so who knows what happened. The question is that they have "secondary rush" this coming weekend for guys that didn't get an invite. Anyone familiar with this? My sister is in a sorority - different school back east - and never heard of it. Just wondering if its worth going to.
I don't know anything about SoCal or UCLA, but if you didn't get a bid the first time and they have a "secondary rush", go. You might get a chance to meet guys in other FRATERNITIES (not Frats) that you didn't meet before.

Will you definately get a bid this time? I don't know. But, I do know you won't get a bid if you don't go.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Blue Chip dinner is tonight at USC. UCLA IFC Recruitment isn't for another month (last week of Sept).

Only abbreviate the word "Fraternity", if you regularly abbreviate the word "Country"
... as told to me by a Sigma Chi (though not LaneSig)
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Only abbreviate the word "Fraternity", if you regularly abbreviate the word "Country"
... as told to me by a Sigma Chi (though not LaneSig)
Arrrghhhh. One day, people will stop repeating that stupid, stupid analagy.

In English we shorten words all the time. Live in a dorm? Use a fridge? Ride a bike? Not that long ago, "frat" was no different; fraternities used it all the time.

On some campuses and in some groups even now, no one bats an eye at "frat." On other campuses and in other groups, they do. But unlike the stupid country example, it's not because "frat" is an obscenity all on its own; it's because of the Animal House connotation of "frat."

It's ironic, really. Use of the "country" analogy is an example of exactly the kind of thing that is objectionable to some people about the word "frat."

/soapbox
Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, MC.

You're one of my faves.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

"You're right, I wouldn't, because there's a fucking "o" in country. I'd call it a "count". People think I don't know how to fuckin' spell."
I'm sorry, I love those videos. *hides*
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm very familiar with greek life at UCLA. The fraternities are pretty laid back. Being from the South, I know that you know how to dress! But I will caution you not to go overboard with the super preppy look... don't pop your collar, no Vineyard Vines bermuda shorts with a motif (whales, lobsters, golf clubs, etc.). Just be chill and friendly! UCLA men's recruitment is pretty relaxed. Go to the chapter house for In and Out Burgers, that kind of thing...then a nice dinner at the end of the week, etc.
Many darling southern girls in the sororities too! UCLA is a really great, really fun school. Good for you!

By the way, they do call 'em "frats" at UCLA. It's FINE!

Last edited by BlueOwl; 08-31-2012 at 12:16 PM.