GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,732
2 members and 2,730 guests
Xidelt

Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Where to buy textbooks

I'm just wondering where everyone gets their books from other than the bookstore. I'm gonna be taking 4 classes this semester but I have to have 6 books, and if I get them from the campus bookstore my total would be almost $600, which I just cannot afford. I usually use alibris.com and amazon, but for whatever reason I've been unable to find two books that I need. So if you could take the time to post your fave textbook websites and/or resources I would greatly appreciate it. This could also be a valuable resource to others

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 AM

I typically use Amazon, but when I couldn't find some things, I checked www.half.com

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I rented some with www.chegg.com and was very happy with the service and price. I only did this for books I never planned to keep or use again, and they have a deal with free shipping at the moment.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Ditto amazon.com and half.com. This past semester I got my books there for so cheap that when I sold them back to the bookstrore I actually made a profit!

Also, be sure to check with your sisters to see if any of them have taken the classes--one of them may still have the book!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I have found quite a few that I need on Amazon as well.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I am buying my Psychology book from one of my pledge sisters, and I've never heard of Chegg or Half.com so I'll check those out. Thanks for the responses

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I've used abebooks in the past, they are not bad. Also I thought I'd mention there are fundraisers out there that if you buy books from certain websites you get a certain percentage of the money for your org.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

This semester, my professor introduced the class to ichapters.com, which is actually http://www.cengagebrain.com/market/index.html now. You can download just the chapters you need for $3.99 a chapter.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Is renting books from Chegg reliable? I've never done it before, and I'm nervous about not getting the books I need and stuff. It'd save me almost 40 dollars, though!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I get my used textbooks from barnesandnoble.com. Lately, I've been finding them there cheaper than on Amazon.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I rented some with www.chegg.com and was very happy with the service and price. I only did this for books I never planned to keep or use again, and they have a deal with free shipping at the moment.

My daughter and her fiance have nothing but good to say about them - two thumbs up!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxstardust View Post
Is renting books from Chegg reliable? I've never done it before, and I'm nervous about not getting the books I need and stuff. It'd save me almost 40 dollars, though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
My daughter and her fiance have nothing but good to say about them - two thumbs up!
They send them via UPS with tracking numbers and when you return them you print off a return label with tracking as well you can take to a UPS store or even one of those UPS boxes so you don't have to call for pickup. I also like that for a semester you rent them now and they are due at the end of May, and they offer extensions or you can purchase the book.

I'm also a huge fan of www.bigwords.com as they troll all the sites and can combine them for you for the best prices. They are how I found chegg last year.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I ordered my books from chegg.com too this semester. they came really quickly-i ordered them as soon as the book lists came out and they were at my house by the time I got home a week later. They have GREAT service, including some books that I didn't expect them to have. Plus they plant a tree for every book you rent, which I love.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
I'm just wondering where everyone gets their books from other than the bookstore. I'm gonna be taking 4 classes this semester but I have to have 6 books, and if I get them from the campus bookstore my total would be almost $600, which I just cannot afford. I usually use alibris.com and amazon, but for whatever reason I've been unable to find two books that I need. So if you could take the time to post your fave textbook websites and/or resources I would greatly appreciate it. This could also be a valuable resource to others
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I'm so glad to hear that people like Chegg! I just started working for them 3 days ago....if everyone was pissed, I was gonna keep my mouth shut.

I have a coupon for 5% off your order (or an extra 5 bucks if you sell through Chegg's buybackprogram). PM me if you want it--it's reusable so more than one person can use it!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

CG!! Why didn't you say this a week ago? I considered Chegg but saw some bad reviews online where people did not receive books they needed. It would have saved me $150 on my accounting book alone! Grrrrr...lol. I should have started a thread requesting opinions. Instead, I spent $483 on textbooks last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
I'm so glad to hear that people like Chegg! I just started working for them 3 days ago....if everyone was pissed, I was gonna keep my mouth shut.

I have a coupon for 5% off your order (or an extra 5 bucks if you sell through Chegg's buybackprogram). PM me if you want it--it's reusable so more than one person can use it!