GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,059
0 members and 2,059 guests
No Members online

Old 01-03-2009, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Nervous about Rush

I am a sophomore at LSU and am registered for Spring Rush. I am nervous because I am an upperclassman and LSU is very competitive when it comes to rushing. I am rushing in the Spring because I am from out of state and my parents believe it was (and I agree with them) very important to get used to school and have a solid GPA during my freshman year. Also, my twin sister is rushing at Butler University this Spring and my parents wanted us to Rush in the same semester.
I am also nervous because I am multi-racial and I do not look like the majority of sorority girls at LSU. I have looked at all the chapter's national websites and see all the pictures of members full of diversity, which has given me hope, but then I look at my own campus and do not necessarily see the commitment to diversity manifested on my own campus.
I am confident that I meet, if not exceed, all of the requirements for rush, have been pro-active in my rec process, and have compiled a current resume but I am still very nervous.

Insight and/or words of encouragement are greatly appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey there! I'm a freshman at LSU who's most likely going to register for spring rush! I don't know specifics about spring rush, but I know it's a LOT less formal than fall rush and not all of the sororities participate in it. It also isn't impossible/uncommon for upperclassmen to receive a bid during spring rush, or at least from what I've heard.

Anyway, good luck!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 AM

I would think (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that one of the key things for upperclassmen in terms of getting a bid is knowing women who are in the sororities, as I would imagine that the chapters at LSU do not have many spring openings, and some of the chapters probably will look to fill the openings with girls that sisters already know.

It's most likely one of those schools at which it would be VERY beneficial to make friends with sorority women prior to rush, because the upperclassmen who DO get bids there are probably "movers and shakers" who are very involved on campus and know sorority women from other campus activities.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-04-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Hi. i am a freshman and i am actually thinking seriously about going through fall rush as a sophomore. I was registered for it this past fall but had to go out of town unexpectedly so I didnt go through. I know it is gonna be harder as an upperclassman. I am also really nervous about it. I really do not know anyone that is greek at LSU so I really do not know what to expect.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

i agree with ksuviolet that it would be an advantage to already be friends with members of the sororities at lsu. that being said, give spring recruitment a try. if it doesn't work out for you, you can give fall recruitment a try. in the mean time,if you are going to participate in fall rush, try to get to know some sorority members-in your class, in your dorm/apartment complex, in your other activities.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
I'm not trying to be nit-picky, just curious....is a sophomore really considered an upperclassman?
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

If people actually ask you why you rushed as a soph, I would just be open and polite about it. Say something like "I decided it was best for me to get a strong academic year under my belt so I can make an outstanding commitment to the sorority."

Then move on. I wouldn't want to hang on it because you want them to get to know you.

I found when I rushed as a junior (at a non-competitive school but still) that I connected more with groups when i just answered the question and moved on.

and as far as being multi-racial, don't worry about it. Just be confident and your future sisters will connect with that.

Besides, the next President (POTUS) is also biracial and that never stopped him.
GOOD LUCK

Last edited by iamqueena; 01-04-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Clearing up the POTUS/ Pi Phi president gender bending confusion.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamqueena View Post
and as far as being multi-racial, don't worry about it. Our next president is too and it never stopped him. Just be confident and your future sisters will connect with that.
Hey, iamqueena! I sure hope we don't have a 'him' as a Pi Phi chapter president!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Of the United States......
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniBug View Post
I'm not trying to be nit-picky, just curious....is a sophomore really considered an upperclassman?
Oddly enough, in the LSU system, sophomores are considered upperclassman. I personally don't consider that an upperclassman but the system does.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for some great advice and encouragement.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Hey, iamqueena! I sure hope we don't have a 'him' as a Pi Phi chapter president!

Haha. No I definitely meant of the United States. Not of Pi Phi. Though that comment still made me laugh. haha.

Anyhow best of luck at LSU.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Hahahaha! Ohmygosh. Just blame it on the fact that I sneaked off for a minute from our massive annual Christmas cleanup! I was really thinking that you meant your chapter since she was talking about sororities.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Hahahaha! Ohmygosh. Just blame it on the fact that I sneaked off for a minute from our massive annual Christmas cleanup! I was really thinking that you meant your chapter since she was talking about sororities.
You are not the only one sneaking away from the cleanup! I'm sitting here reading GC comments instead of putting away the Christmas stuff.
I read that to mean the pi phi pres was a "him" as well at first, I thought wow that's different, then it hit me

To the OP "good luck with recruitment" PM me if you wish.
ZTA72
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA72 View Post
You are not the only one sneaking away from the cleanup! I'm sitting here reading GC comments instead of putting away the Christmas stuff.
I read that to mean the pi phi pres was a "him" as well at first, I thought wow that's different, then it hit me

To the OP "good luck with recruitment" PM me if you wish.
ZTA72

I edited the post so it's hopefully more clear. No more POTUS/Pi Phi President gender-bending confusion.

Last edited by iamqueena; 01-04-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: punctuation