GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,581
0 members and 1,581 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Color Conflict

We are in the process of getting our Phi Kappa Tau colony off the ground one thing we realized tho is that we have the same colors as PIKE. Red and Gold? We want to adopt a third color to distingush ourselves from Pike (the letters themselves have the potential to confuse others) does anybody have any suggestions for a third color?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2006, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
hmm...well, your symbols are different, so perhaps not emphasize the colours as much and go for symbols/national symbols. And harvard red and old gold are pretty unique. Check what the Pike guys are up to, if theyre more cardinal red, go for a deep deep harvard. If theyre using a yellow gold, go for a brown gold. I know this sounds trivial, but people are smarter than you think. Plus, you get "Phi Tau", most people know Pike more than Pi Kappa Phi.

Good luck to your colony :-). My brother and grandfather are both proud brothers.

eta: Consider a silver perhaps if you go for 3 colors? As in true silver, not grey. In the girl scout tradition, we always said, "make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold."
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul
I know this sounds trivial, but people are smarter than you think. Plus, you get "Phi Tau", most people know Pike more than Pi Kappa Phi.
Pi Kappa Phi is not PIKE...unless that's your point, that people don't know Pi Kappa Alpha from Pi Kappa Phi. We had both on my campus when I pledged. A small part of me was glad when Pi Kap closed because I didn't have to keep the two straight anymore.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah that is her point PIKE and Pi Kapp on this campus are always getting confused amongst GDIs and prospective members
Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

You may have more official colors. I know for us, while green and white are the main ones, we also use gold and black.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgreekalum
You may have more official colors. I know for us, while green and white are the main ones, we also use gold and black.
Yes. ASA's primary colors are red & white, but our secondary colors are green and gold. We throw the gold in when we're at a school with another red or red & white sorority (AOII, Chi O).
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
Yes. ASA's primary colors are red & white, but our secondary colors are green and gold. We throw the gold in when we're at a school with another red or red & white sorority (AOII, Chi O).

We used Green a lot because we didn't have AGD, so we had "stoplight" letters. We did have ChiO though, so we stayed away from just using Crimson & Gold.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFratsHard
We are in the process of getting our Phi Kappa Tau colony off the ground one thing we realized tho is that we have the same colors as PIKE. Red and Gold? We want to adopt a third color to distingush ourselves from Pike (the letters themselves have the potential to confuse others) does anybody have any suggestions for a third color?
Your letters are different, so I suggest you emphsize them more.

Many have the same combonation of colors, but make your lettere pop out more for all to see.

One time I was back for home coming and no one was wearing their letters except one new GLO. Phi Sigma Kappa. I was embarresed as I was the only member of My Chapter who had on letters, LXA.

I admired those Brothers of a new colony for showing that they were there even though they had 10 members.

Keep the colors, but use a different one for letters so they will stand out.

Last but not least, good luck to You and YOur Brothers for a new colony.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl
Pi Kappa Phi is not PIKE...unless that's your point, that people don't know Pi Kappa Alpha from Pi Kappa Phi. We had both on my campus when I pledged. A small part of me was glad when Pi Kap closed because I didn't have to keep the two straight anymore.

Nope, sorry, just a reading comprehension problem on my part. Doh!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

You shouldn't be choosing any new fraternity colors. Those colors are part of the fraternity's national brand idenity. Talk to your national consultant about how to better promote yourself. You might create an interesting logo for your colony that sets you apart, for example.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 PM

I'm confused. Are you a Pike colony already OR are you TRYING TO BECOME a Pike colony?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Just don't worry about it. There are more important things than colors to show your identity. But then, I'm from the camp who thinks it is isn't necc. to let everyone you see know what fraternity you're in. I mean what are you gonna use colors for? Ritual, fraternity flag, stuff like that is fine. But you don't need everything to be in your colors.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We're not CHANGING colors. I'd never do that for that fact that SigEp at my school did that and they are the most hated fraternity on campus SigEps most hated chapter nationally. We were discussing adding a third color, which from my understanding is common when the nationals only has one or two color.

We are not PIKE at all. We already have a PIKE chapter. I was saying that Phi Tau and PIKE colors are similar.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFratsHard
We're not CHANGING colors... We were discussing adding a third color, which from my understanding is common when the nationals only has one or two color.
Don't go from your "understanding." Check with your nationals before you go promoting a third color. Adding a color to your official colors is changing the colors-- it is changing the established branding and marketing.

It is fine to have shirts, etc., that are different colors that have nothing to do with your official colors, but you can't go adding any arbitrary third colors to official fraternity marks or symbols that require the official colors.

You can distinguish your differences in other ways.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 AM

Why is anyone freaking out? NIC/NPC chapters have letters/shirts/etc in different colors all the time.

Do the PIKEs on your campus have a chapter shirt that they all have already? Like red on gold letters on a black shirt? If they do, then yall can do the opposite, like gold on black letters on a red shirt. Heck, do them in your school colors if you wish.