GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,396
1 members and 1,395 guests
Sarak24034

Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Right now, we have a nomination speech, (short) and then a max 5 minute speech by the candidate. Motions for extension of time are recognized by the chair and strict Robert's Rules are enforced. When the candidates leave, we have discussion, limited to a certain amount of time. Members are allowed equal time to speak on behalf of each candidate and are recognized by order of initiation (lowest badge first). Motions to extend time are recognized by the chair as are motions to close discussion (for each candidate).

You stick to strict Parliamentary Procedure and with 5-6 offices to fill, you're out of there in under 2 hours. Typically, the President will pass off the gavel to an alumnus to run the election meeting and to assist in counting the ballots. For the last few years, that's been the chapter adviser. This is so the outgoing President doesn't have to be impartial in discussions as this is somewhere his impartiality is invaluable.

That system is subject to change though as our brothers see fit. Our HQ doesn't impose any sort of system on us.
The bold seems to be asking a lot of some of the chapters I advise, haha. I definitely think you don't need to resort to such strict restrictions, but a lot of chapters need that to help them move along.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a nominating committee comprised of only graduating seniors. We let girls nominate themselves for the position if they think they would be good in the position. We have elections usually over 2-3 meetings (we can't stay in the building we're in longer than our allotted 2 hours due to the hours we keep). We have 10 elected positions (some are co-positions, though).

The speeches can be no longer than a single-spaced page. In discussion, sisters can only speak twice about each position. The exceptions are President and Sergeant-at-Arms, who aren't supposed to talk unless things get really unruly (they never have). We have an unlimited time to ask questions of the candidates, however.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
The bold seems to be asking a lot of some of the chapters I advise, haha. I definitely think you don't need to resort to such strict restrictions, but a lot of chapters need that to help them move along.
Consider running a parliamentary procedure workshop just prior to elections and passing out cheat sheets for that night. If your chair handles the meeting right, it goes quickly and is a good educational experience. The larger your chapter, the more important strict adherence to parliamentary procedure becomes.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
In my chapter we spread out the process. Two rounds of nomination, then on the third meeting we would have all the canidates make a speech and then vote. It could sometimes take a while because we have a trickle down system, and once a year we have the votes for the E-board which is six people in addition to the other 6? committee chairs.
We also do two rounds of nominations. I forgot to mention that since I didn't really think about it. You are also able to nominate candidates day of. We also allow "waterfalling." That is, if you lose the position you're running for, you can "waterfall" down to the next position and run for that until you win (or ultimately lose) a position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Our undergraduate brothers are allowed to write their chapters' bylaws however they wish in order to hold elections in the best way for their own chapter. My chapters rules change several times a year. Some good ideas are incorporated, some bad. I can't complain about the results though. I don't think slating is a great idea. At least not for us. Democracy increases buy-in.
We have a guideline that HQ lays out for us, but we are allowed a lot of freedom, too, with the writing of our own chapter bylaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I want to add that I think open discussions are a terrible idea and I hate them.
I hate open discussions with a fiery passion that burns brighter than a thousand suns.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think there are so many variables in slating:

1) Do women formally express interest, or does the slating committee just pick people?

2) Does the slating committee pick only one per office?

3) Can a woman run against the slated candidate?

4) How is the slating committee picked?

These are all things that can make it good or bad, so I'm curious what people mean when they say "slating".
For Sigma (and I'll take this down if it's private information, but I really don't think that it is):

1.Women can formally express interest via a nomination box. You can self nominate or nominate another woman.

2. The slate committee then picks 1 woman per office. This is a closed process and no one except the slate committee knows what discussion went on. You receive a phone call only if you were slated but it is confidential and if you tell someone you are automatically disqualified. You only know if you are not slated by your lack of phone call.

3. Before a vote is taken, you can floor nominate someone (though this may not actually be true, we weren't sure so we still did it this year but were told that possibly we were not supposed to). There is no speech made, no questions asked, no discussion. They simply become another option on the ballot.

4. Slating committee is comprised of one woman from each grade level (freshman through super senior, if applicable). Each woman cannot be running for any position on officer board.

In some ways I like the system we have. I like that there isn't open discussion (that would be an absolute mess I'm sure) but I hate that there is literally no interview or application process. I feel like some women try for positions without a good understanding of what the position actually entails. Also there are some women that might be more qualified but because we don't have any written credentials we don't have a lot to go off of except prior sorority experience, as the slate committee (I was on ours this year). I think that it does reduce drama in some ways (since there is absolutely no campaigning) but it's not perfect. It works out okay though, most times.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
For Sigma (and I'll take this down if it's private information, but I really don't think that it is):

1.Women can formally express interest via a nomination box. You can self nominate or nominate another woman.

2. The slate committee then picks 1 woman per office. This is a closed process and no one except the slate committee knows what discussion went on. You receive a phone call only if you were slated but it is confidential and if you tell someone you are automatically disqualified. You only know if you are not slated by your lack of phone call.

3. Before a vote is taken, you can floor nominate someone (though this may not actually be true, we weren't sure so we still did it this year but were told that possibly we were not supposed to). There is no speech made, no questions asked, no discussion. They simply become another option on the ballot.

4. Slating committee is comprised of one woman from each grade level (freshman through super senior, if applicable). Each woman cannot be running for any position on officer board.

In some ways I like the system we have. I like that there isn't open discussion (that would be an absolute mess I'm sure) but I hate that there is literally no interview or application process. I feel like some women try for positions without a good understanding of what the position actually entails. Also there are some women that might be more qualified but because we don't have any written credentials we don't have a lot to go off of except prior sorority experience, as the slate committee (I was on ours this year). I think that it does reduce drama in some ways (since there is absolutely no campaigning) but it's not perfect. It works out okay though, most times.
So if there are no floor nominations, the slate just picks the women? Why would there be an election at all? I think I must be misreading something.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So if there are no floor nominations, the slate just picks the women? Why would there be an election at all? I think I must be misreading something.
There are always floor nominations, but yes, I guess if there were none people would just vote slate. That has happened in certain positions (ex: usually treasurer because only one person wanted it) but I think it'd be similar to running unopposed. Sorry I guess I didn't specify that the women are slated and then floor nominations are taken and then we all vote. Usually 60-80% of the people slated are elected, so there are some changes but the majority of people who are slated end up being elected.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, it oculd be that the nays are more than the yeas in which case, I assume, they would go office by office. But if no one other than the slated people want to run by election time, it's going to be hard to find someone after the fact. And you have to have a motion to accept the slate by acclimation which, if you don't get, you have to go office by office. We even have a Nom Comm for our Fraternity Council but you can challenge for a position if you aren't slated. So, it 's never been a problem for us. Sorry this is a little rambling!