GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,352
2 members and 1,350 guests
No Members online

Old 06-06-2002, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

MTV and Sororities

I'm watching the MTV Movie Awards and they showed a preview/comercial for Sorority Life. All I can say is... oh my god. "The real reason I joined a sorority is to party." Ok, no self respecting greek would say that on TV. Lordy lordy.....

TG
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2002, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw that too...I just hope that they don't say/show their affiliations.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I dunno...I would be willing to bet that if you talked to all the greeks on your campus (especially if it is a school where Greeks dominate the social scene; like if you arent' Greek you are sitting at home playing computer games type campus) then you might find the majority of people joined GLO's for the social outlet.

However it is what GLO's give in addition to a killer social calender that makes all of us love our orgs...but that is obviously difficult to explain to someone on the outside.

I recently had a conversation with all my HS friends who didn't join houses and all they could focus on was the social aspect of being in a house. I know I had great difficulty in trying to explain the other parts of it to them and demonstrate how these were far more important than just the parties.

Anyway, hopefully that statement started out as "The real reason I joined a sorority is to party" and ended in "...but I've found out that many other things are far more important." Of course I doubt that MTV will keep the second half of the quote.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:59 PM

I suppose it's unfair to judge a program without seeing it, but it sounds like MTV got exactly what it was looking for. Quotes they can use for their pre-determined storyline.

Ugh!
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Boy did that intro stereotype sororities.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever gets ratings.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get to see this because I was working. Grrr!!

But you know what, all we can do is smile and think of how ignorant people can be and be thankful that we weren't giving the opportunity to be as ignorant as some people may be.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
The show follows, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi sorority. Here are a few things their web site says about it.
http://www.hillelhouse.org/sigma/html/facts.html

http://www.hillelhouse.org/sigma/html/statement.html

http://onlinehermes.com/main.cfm/inc...id/181286.html
Old 06-06-2002, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Bascially the commercial went like this: It starts off with a bunch of girls saying why they joined a sorority. They named off philanthropy and sisterhood. Then the commercial states "Now why did you really join a sorority?" This is the point when the girls named off partying and fraternities.

Quite frankly I was slightly stunned. It really did play directly into the stereotype. I really hope this show doesn't just focus on the "social aspect" of joining a sorority!!!
Old 06-06-2002, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw this too while watching the Awards show at the Sigma Nu house, with a few SN's. I was stunned to see those girls and their responses. You would think that they would want to represent the Greek System as something positive ~ that's not the impression they give off. I am curious to see what GLO they belong to. The show is premiering 6/24 in the evening...time, I forget. Even the guys were like "What the...". THEY were surprised! I just wonder what impression this will leave H.S. students and all other Potential New Members. Even parents. Hopefully not a bad one, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to MUPhiMuKHap
Angry MTV makes me angry!

Man, when I saw the ad tonight for their new sorority show I can definately say I was less than impressed. The whole "reasons to join a sorority" and then the "REAL reasons to join". That just made me sick almost. Yes, I will admit it, I love the social aspect of my sorority, without a doubt. But I didn't join because of that. Maybe some people did, but when MTV presents the info they have the way they did, it makes sorority girls look like flaky bimbos who only care about "frat boys and parties". Yuck. I don't even want to watch this show in fear that they will only throw out more and more stereotypes and pass them off as truth. Maybe I am overrreacting, but it just makes me so mad. The same way it did when I was considered "dumb and stuck up" in high school b/c I was a cheerleader. Ack, ok, enough ranting for now! Sorry, just need to get this off my chest.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
The truth is that one of the main reasons why I rushed was to meet people and for the parties and mixers. I later found out that there was so much more to sisterhood. As long as this MTV show isn't like those commercials for 'Girls Gone Wild' videos than I won't be too worried about it.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I also saw the ad, and frankly, I was disgusted. Perhaps the girls didn't have any say in what content was in the commercial, but if they did, and they agreed to be portreyed in that manner, then they should be ashamed. OF COURSE people love the social aspects of sisterhood-- thats why we are considered social organizations--but if I heard ANY sorority member saying that partying was the REAL reason that she joined a sorority I would think she was nuts. I simply cannot believe that MTV would use THAT piece as the promo for the entire show...or....wait a minute...I CAN believe it....

thank you MTV for perpetuating the ugly image of sorority girls as only caring about boys, partying, and getting wasted... we really appreciate it.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
The truth is that one of the main reasons why I rushed was to meet people and for the parties and mixers. I later found out that there was so much more to sisterhood. As long as this MTV show isn't like those commercials for 'Girls Gone Wild' videos than I won't be too worried about it.

DITTO It will all be just fine!! Fingers are crossed!!
Old 06-07-2002, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tessEL243
I joined my sorority because I felt so comfortable and had a true connection with my sisters. But I can be honest and say that I went into rush with the idea of mixers, parties, and meeting people. But it is through rush and pledging that you discover the true meanings of sisterhood. These are things that just by watching MTV you aren't going to learn. I haven't seen the commerical yet, since I am currently not in the US, but I am sure it can't be any worse then the negative stereotypes greeks have been fighting for years. Like someone else said as long as it isn't Girls Gone Wild I really don't think anymore damage can be done.