GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,154
2 members and 2,152 guests
KatieKate1244, naraht

Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 AM
GreekChat Member

2010 Grads & the Job Market

I'm graduating in a week (yikes!) and I'm feeling really down about how my job search has been going. I really don't mean to sound snotty, but everyone (including my University's career counselor) keeps telling me that they're so surprised I haven't gotten a job offer yet, and that "it will happen." But it's just not. I've been seriously job-hunting since February and I've just gotten a few interviews (that unfortunately led to nothing) and a lot of "Sorry, other applicants were more qualified."

I have a some things going for me - great GPA, lots of involvement, 3+ years of student employment/internships in the field I want to go into, very strong references, and great contacts in the field. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the strongest recent grad in the applicant pool (could have done more internships, etc.), but I'm also not the weakest. I just thought I could at least get something. Here are some issues: employers keeping disregarding my work experience because it's not actual, "real" work experience - even though I have worked 40-hour weeks for every summer, winter and spring break for the two years, and 15-hour weeks during every semester since sophomore year. I'm moving to an area where I have very few contacts, and I've pretty much exhausted my networking options - the people I do know have called in favors but literally no one in the field is hiring where I'm going. I don't have the option of being flexible with location, so even though I'm moving to a large city it really narrows down my options.

I don't have a master's. I don't have "real" professional work experience - I guess I'm essentially entry-level. I've only done two internships. I am out-of-state. All I want is a job with benefits that pays enough to cover my living expenses - at this point I'll take anything I'm qualified for, in or out of my desired field. But based on the aforementioned factors, I'm apparently not qualified for anything. I feel for the companies, too - in this economy it makes sense to be choosy and take the most experienced, educated applicants they can get. It just sucks for recent grads.

I'm getting panicky about money, health insurance and the possibility of living in a cardboard box. Are any other recent or soon-to-be-grads feeling this, too? It seems like the only friends I have that are getting jobs are engineers and/or the super-high-powered students that have had 4+ flashy internships (no hard feelings, they honestly deserve great jobs after all that work). Everyone else is taking menial jobs to tide them over, moving in with Mom & Dad and/or going to grad school (which I can't afford right now). I hoping I'm not coming off as whiny or entitled - I'm really not looking for anything fancy, I just want something. And I'm getting really frustrated with this job market.

I guess this is a venting post more than anything else, but if anyone has any advice (or commiseration) I'd love to hear it...

Last edited by littleowl33; 05-20-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-20-2010, 02:14 AM

I graduated with my M. Ed. in December 2009 (close enough for this thread lol).

My biggest advice is to just keep looking. Yes it drives you crazy, but hang in there.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks KSU. I'm meeting with my career counselor again today, and she has this other-wordly ability to make me feel like everything's going to be ok... so I predict I won't be quite so mopey tonight at 1am as I was last night
Old 05-20-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
I'm graduating in a week (yikes!) and I'm feeling really down about how my job search has been going. I really don't mean to sound snotty, but everyone (including my University's career counselor) keeps telling me that they're so surprised I haven't gotten a job offer yet, and that "it will happen." But it's just not. I've been seriously job-hunting since February and I've just gotten a few interviews (that unfortunately led to nothing) and a lot of "Sorry, other applicants were more qualified."
I didn't read your entire post but wanted to respond to this part. Pardon me if I say something you already said.

They are surprised because there are many grads with BAs, MAs, PHDs and so forth who have found jobs. The key is to not get sidetracked with what everyone says about the economy and the job market, and not to let "venting" get in the way of a positive and open minded outlook.

You have to know what you're realistically looking for and what you're willing to accept if you can't find exactly what you're looking for. Another key is to understand that beginning your longterm CAREER doesn't mean that the JOB that you find has to be the one that you're in forever. It could be a good start until you find the next place your career will take you.

Also, not to sound snooty (), but beginning a serious job search in February 2010 when you know you're graduating in May 2010 wasn't smart. I advise people to put their ear to the ground to listen for any career leads as soon as possible and to seriously begin the job search at least a year before graduating. Afterall, graduation is one of the many things that doesn't just spring on you. You know it's coming and can plan accordingly.

For instance, some of us are surrounded by professionals in our daily personal/private, social and business interactions. People would be fools if they didn't carry a business card or find other ways to network at a sorority function, a community service event, or an event like a gala. There are companies that send emails to employees about jobs to send their friends and families. In other words, there ARE jobs out there and someone WILL BE getting those jobs. The jobs may not be in your field or career interest, but this means that things are not as hopeless for EVERYONE. The unemployment rates are the way they are for a number of reasons and not just because the job market is sparse and competitive.

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-20-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

My nephew got his master's degree last spring--in a somewhat esoteric field, admittedly--and is still looking, and I do remember a long stretch of unemployment after I graduated many moons ago, and it did get a little scary when the end of the grace period before student loan payments started to loom, so you do have my sympathies.

From my position much later, I'd say that the important thing is to just work anywhere. You don't have to stay there forever. Any experience you can put on a resume is a plus, even unpaid experience, so see if you can volunteer somewhere if need be. That won't pay bills, but it will help you learn professional skills and will be a source for networking.

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

There was actually an article about this in USAToday yesterday.

Aha! Found it: http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...obs19_CV_N.htm

I know a lot of people that I graduated with LAST year who are still looking for jobs or who have taken jobs unrelated to their field, so it doesn't really surprise me that you haven't found anything in just a few months. Don't let it get you down, but chances are, it's going to take longer than you expected.

Also, make sure you get on the Kappa Connections Yahoo group, and the LinkedIn group. I personally know a lot of sisters who have made some great connections through those groups, both personal and professional.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Littleowl, I'm in the same position as you. I had three internships related to my field and a pretty good GPA (Admittedly, I wouldn't say that it's great, although it was good enough that I was accepted into an honors society in my field). I started looking seriously in December 2009 and started applying January '10. I've sent out roughly 40-45 applications (which doesn't seem like that much considering it's been over 5 months, but hey, finishing undergrad got in the way lol) and have had 5 interviews. I got one offer for an "internship" (and I put quotes around that for a reason), but I turned it down because I had to let them know in early March about my decision. Honestly, it would not have been as impressive on my resume compared to my other experience, and I assumed I would find something better suited for me. Now I wish I would have taken it just so that I could be making money over the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Also, not to sound snooty (), but beginning a serious job search in February 2010 when you know you're graduating in May 2010 wasn't smart. I advise people to put their ear to the ground to listen for any career leads as soon as possible and to seriously begin the job search at least a year before graduating. Afterall, graduation is one of the many things that doesn't just spring on you. You know it's coming and can plan accordingly.

For instance, some of us are surrounded by professionals in our daily personal/private, social and business interactions. People would be fools if they didn't carry a business card or find other ways to network at a sorority function, a community service event, or an event like a gala. There are companies that send emails to employees about jobs to send their friends and families. In other words, there ARE jobs out there and someone WILL BE getting those jobs. The jobs may not be in your field or career interest, but this means that things are not as hopeless for EVERYONE. The unemployment rates are the way they are for a number of reasons and not just because the job market is sparse and competitive.
I agree that networking and beginning the search as soon as possible is a great idea. However, as far as applying this might be one of those things that varies depending on the field. Obviously I don't have a job, so I wouldn't know for sure, but I only say this because of something I experienced during my job hunt:

There were two firms that I applied to in February 2010. I attended a career fair in very late March, and at the fair, these two companies were present. As I talked to them, I found out that I actually submitted my application too early--they were not yet looking at applications for May 2010 grads in February. So in that case, applying those jobs early was I mistake. Luckily, they accepted my resume in person at the career fair.

Of course different companies in different industries all do it their own way, but this is just something that happened to me. Also, at the career fair, most of the companies there were only offering internships (many of which I didn't qualify for since they only offered school credit). I must have heard "we never really know when we'll be having another full time opening, so please check back often" about 30 times.

Anyways, littleowl, I feel your pain. I am fortunate that my parents are not kicking me out of the house, and that I can live here while I find a job and save up money. But it certainly is discouraging. The thing that keeps me optimistic is that I seem to keep finding opportunities and places to apply in places where I wasn't expecting...even if they haven't led to anything, it gives me hope that I am going to find SOMETHING.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Some Advice

Okay, first of all-you are graduating from one of the finest institutions in the United States! Second of all-you have been very involved in Greek Life, proving you were willing to give back to the community (IMHO).

The job search can suck. This is true. The best advice I can give you is that you have to be willing to take a job that you might normally feel is beneath you in order to find the job you want or love. When I graduated from Penn State with 3 degrees and a minor, preparing to work on my M.Ed., I actually applied (and got hired) to work as a Manager at Wendy's. I'm NOT kidding. Thankfully, during my spring break that semester before graduating, I had taken a trip to Harrisburg and took any and every Civil Service test I qualified for. I was hired as a Caseworker a few weeks out of school and never had to actually work at Wendy's.

The pay was horrible. To be honest, I ended up leaving after a few months to pursue my M.Ed. full-time because it was actually cheaper for me to be a full-time student working part-time than it was for me to be a part-time student working full-time. I have had much more luck since then finding jobs that paid double what I was getting as a Caseworker and I love the people! You can do it! Just keep your chin up!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a guy about a year ago in DC who would dress up in a suit, every day, stand at a metro station downtown, and just hand resumes out. They did a story on him in the WP. Not saying you should do that.

Yes, there are a lot of recent grads from every level that are looking for jobs. I know of a lawyer who returned from doing a competitive clerkship in CA in September and still hasn't found anything. It's bad everywhere.

My advice is to sign up with a temp agency. You will definitely have the skills required (typing, etc) and it's at least something to do that is most likely on a part-time basis while you look for something permanent. It could possibly lead you to something where you are placed, and it'll give you a bit of experience that you say you don't have.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
It seems like the only friends I have that are getting jobs are engineers and/or the super-high-powered students that have had 4+ flashy internships (no hard feelings, they honestly deserve great jobs after all that work). Everyone else is taking menial jobs to tide them over, moving in with Mom & Dad and/or going to grad school (which I can't afford right now)...
yes and no. My best friend graduated with an engineering degree in May 2009 and has been working at a doctors office for the last 6th months cause thats the only job she could find. She moved back in with her parents for a while before moving in with her finance. My only suggestion is just apply anywhere and everywhere.

She is starting her new engineering job in 2 weeks though. It took a year but she found one.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I didn't read your entire post but wanted to respond to this part. Pardon me if I say something you already said.

They are surprised because there are many grads with BAs, MAs, PHDs and so forth who have found jobs. The key is to not get sidetracked with what everyone says about the economy and the job market, and not to let "venting" get in the way of a positive and open minded outlook.

You have to know what you're realistically looking for and what you're willing to accept if you can't find exactly what you're looking for. Another key is to understand that beginning your longterm CAREER doesn't mean that the JOB that you find has to be the one that you're in forever. It could be a good start until you find the next place your career will take you.

This!

I find that when some people are looking for a job, they see it as negative/embarrassing/etc. and don't share with their friends/family/sisters etc. that they are on the job hunt. It's not fun to tell people, but you never know who knows about an opening in your field.

Even if your internship sites are unable to hire you now, keep in contact with someone at those places. You never know when they might have something open.

Example: After I graduated in December, I kept volunteering at my internship site. Eventually, there was a job opening. Because I was still volunteering and keeping in touch, I was able to get the posting internally (before they made it public). I ended up getting the job! It's not my dream job but it's valuable experience in my field.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I honestly appreciate it. I have certainly made some mistakes - and I definitely wish I had started earlier. I think this is my problem (and I take full responsibility for it): this is the first big thing I've had to do on my own in my life, and I didn't prepare myself. I think a lot of my friends and I expected to work hard, have a fun senior year, graduate, and find a great job right off the bat. Obviously that's not how it works, but I don't think I ever got the low-down on how to make it happen. I didn't seek out advice on how to network or job-hunt, and I thought I was ahead of the game by starting in the beginning of February (to be fair, a significant number of my friends didn't start until late March/early April). The advice I got from adults and co-workers at my current student job was to do things the way I've done them (start in early February and network like hell) but it hasn't been working, partially because the people I've been networking with are finding the same thing - very few job openings, and reluctance to hire a recent grad despite them putting in a good word. I wish I could go back to the littleowl of yesteryear and tell her to get things rolling sooner, but that's just not possible.

I think the other things contributing to my lack of networking and late start are that a) until about December I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and b) I had no idea where I was going (as I mentioned before I don't have much flexibility regarding location, and while I knew my options I didn't find out where I was definitely going until late April). I don't have any aversion to doing menial or hourly work (I scooped poop at a kennel every weekend all through high school!), but my issue right now is benefits. Without getting too personal, I absolutely need to have health insurance and I have about 6 months before I'm kicked off my parents'. So, I'm perfectly willing to do internships, volunteer work or jobs without benefits, but I have a deadline for finding work with benefits. In any event, those are the kind of things I'm looking into now. I believe something will eventually turn up, but in the mean time it's causing a lot of anxiety.

Last edited by littleowl33; 05-20-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I hesitated in responding to this cause I didn't wanna sound like a bum, but I STILL don't know what I want to do when I "grow up." Job searching is exhausting, and I'm sure you'll get sick of hearing people's advice about it. If you can tolerate it, listen to them (but take some with a grain of salt).

I'll have to think of what other advice I can give later.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You've gotten a lot of good advice here, and I have just one thing to add: Use your school's alumni office/association. I am from a small school, but I know that it's been a huge source for a lot of people. Go to alumni events in your area (they're usually kinda fun anyway) because you never know who you might meet. See if your school has an online alumni community, because these will often have job boards or other ways to make connections.

Good luck! I know it's a hard time to be looking for a job. My sister and dad are, and it's not pretty no matter how old/experienced you are.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

As long as she doesn't get tired of the advice that she asks for.