GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,255
3 members and 1,252 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 12-22-2006, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Murder Charge in U. of Alabama Theta Chi's Death

Please note that so far there are only charges and an arrest; remember that in the U.S.A. people are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Station WSB has an Associated Press story on its web site:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10591078/detail.html

Excerpts from story:

. . . Christopher Skelton was charged Tuesday in the death of 19-year-old James Echols. Echols died September 5th after taking a high dose of fetanyl, which he allegedly got from Skelton . . . .
Skelton worked in a drugstore pharmacy and, according to an indictment released Thursday, stole several medications and gave them to his Theta Chi fraternity brothers.

I think the drug that allegedly led to Mr. Echols' death is the same one that's been mentioned in connection with a Southern Methodist U. student's drug overdose death. Please be careful, people.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

So, how is this murder (if it's true), and not manslaughter? Intent is a key component of a murder charge - did he intend to kill his fraternity brothers?
Old 12-22-2006, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
So, how is this murder (if it's true), and not manslaughter? Intent is a key component of a murder charge - did he intend to kill his fraternity brothers?
PeppyGPhiB, I don't know exactly what the basis for the murder charge is. A longer article in the Tuscaloosa paper (link below) mentions several subsidiary charges and says (or, to be more accurate, strongly implies) that "murder" has been successfully prosecuted in other drug distribution cases elsewhere in Alabama. I can't pretend to know or interpret the ins and outs of Alabama statutes or case law, though.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/p...1007/EDITORIAL

Update Dec. 24 '06: The U. of Alabama student paper has a fairly brief "update" about this posted on its site, dated Dec. 24. The paper's site is at:

http://www.cw.ua.edu

and if the story doesn't immediately show up, there are the usual tools to search and navigate the site. Supposedly there'll be more on this when they resume full publication on Jan. 10 '07.

Last edited by exlurker; 12-24-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I would imagine that it has to do with a death of a person who was supplied drugs. If the drugs were prescription drugs stolen from a pharmacy, that too was a felony.

He would be an accessory to the death of his Brother.

I am not making light of this as it was a stupid act resulting in a death of a friend and Brother.

It is to sad.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-23-2006, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
PeppyGPhiB, I don't know exactly what the basis for the murder charge is. A longer article in the Tuscaloosa paper (link below) mentions several subsidiary charges and says (or, to be more accurate, strongly implies) that "murder" has been successfully prosecuted in other drug distribution cases elsewhere in Alabama. I can't pretend to know or interpret the ins and outs of Alabama statutes or case law, though.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/p...1007/EDITORIAL
Link seems to have changed/updated:
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/apps/p...612220337/1007

Article published Dec 22, 2006
Student charged in peer’s death

By Lydia Seabol Avant
Staff Writer

TUSCALOOSA | A University of Alabama student has been charged with the murder of his Theta Chi fraternity brother.

Christopher Skelton, 20, was charged Tuesday with the homicide of James Echols, 19, who died Sept. 5 after taking a high dose of fentanyl, which he allegedly received from Skelton.

Skelton worked at the Rite Aid pharmacy on Skyland Boulevard, and according to an indictment released Thursday, stole numerous medications from the pharmacy and distributed them to fraternity brothers. The Duragesic-brand patch that Echols used reportedly came from Skelton and contained 100 micrograms of fentanyl, a strong pain medication that is usually given to cancer patients, said Tuscaloosa District Attorney Tommy Smith.

“This is an extreme pain killer that is 80 to 100 times more potent than morphine or oxycotin," Smith said. “This was the largest dose available."

Echols reportedly had been partying the night of Sept. 3 and came home to sleep at his residence in the 500 block of 13th Street. A friend found him unresponsive about 1 p.m. on Sept. 4. He was taken by ambulance to DCH Regional Medical Center, where he died at about 9:30 a.m. the next day.

Skelton has also been charged with manslaughter, six counts of unlawful distribution of a controlled substance, six counts of possession and receiving controlled substances, six counts of dispensing prescriptions to an unauthorized person, and second-degree theft of property.

According to the indictment, Skelton illegally distributed Adderall, Lortab and Xanax to at least five other people, although none of them received Fentanyl, however. It was later discovered that the drugs were taken from the Rite Aid pharmacy through an investigation led by the Alabama State Board of Pharmacy and the West Alabama Narcotics Task Force.

Skelton was arrested Wednesday. He was released on $100,000 bail. He will be arraigned in March, Smith said.

Skelton’s case will be the first time a person has been charged with murder for illegally distributing prescription drugs in Tuscaloosa County. But similar cases have been successfully prosecuted elsewhere in Alabama and in other states, Smith said.

Skelton could also face repercussions at school. His case has been referred to judicial affairs for students charged with non-academic violations, said Deborah Lane, executive director of public relations at UA. Lane confirmed that Skelton was a student in the fall of 2006, but could not say whether he will be a student at UA for the spring semester.

No one could be reached for comment at the Theta Chi fraternity house Thursday.

Reach Lydia Seabol Avant at Lydia.seabol@tuscaloosanews or 205-722-0222.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Since we now seem to have two threads that both involve deaths of GLO members using the same drug, perhaps it is time for some information about the drug in question:
http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/concern/fentanyl.html

http://www.streetdrugs.org/fentanyl.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fentanyl

http://www.samhsa.gov/drugalerts/fentanyl_july06.aspx

http://www.wqow.com/News/index.php?ID=6670
Old 12-24-2006, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Zipcreature
Quote:
did he intend to kill his fraternity brothers?
Thats frightning. Either way, I have issues with consentual 'crimes' such as taking certain drugs. I mean if Skelton sold the kid drugs and warned him to not abuse them, and he chose to do so reguardless, who is to blame?

- Dan Cameron
Old 12-24-2006, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipcreature View Post
Thats frightening. Either way, I have issues with consensually 'crimes' such as taking certain drugs. I mean if Skelton sold the kid drugs and warned him to not abuse them, and he chose to do so regardless, who is to blame?

- Dan Cameron
By very definition, IMHO, stealing the drugs, selling the drugs, and using the drug (in this manor, way and case) is abuse.
Were they bought with a medical prescription, for a medical reason, at a drug store/pharmacy?
And, as my prior posting shows, even then this drug is dangerous.

Last edited by jon1856; 12-24-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Not always. While "intent" is a required element of a charge of first degree murder in most jurisdictions, acting with reckless indifference to the risk of causing death or serious bodily injury to another person is typically enough to sustain a charge of second degree murder.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Fentynyl is used alot to come down from coke, I think. If it's the same drug I'm thinking of, they put the patch on their arm or whatever to help 'em go to sleep after a long night of partying. I've never encountered it, but the UofA is always about ten years behind the drug scene.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke